Poll

Would you prefer U2/Bono keep politics out of the music

Absolutely yes.  Stay away from it completly
6 (12.5%)
Yes on politics but I'm ok with bringing attention to a cause
11 (22.9%)
Don't care either way
7 (14.6%)
No. U2 having a microphone gives them the right to voice thier opinion over others
21 (43.8%)
No. If Bono/U2 don't tell me how to think I wouldn't be able to figure it out on my own.
3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: February 24, 2018, 05:19:58 PM

Author Topic: U2 and Politics Take the poll  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
Re: U2 and Politics Take the poll
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
Be impartial. If you are going to speak out point out the evils on both sides not just one side.

The way they did EXIT for me was a perfect way to put politics into it and still be entertaining while not losing the message.

That is all I will say :)

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »
U2 kinda reminds me of the DEM party of today which lost touch with the common folk

Offline Hustoninut

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 kinda reminds me of the DEM party of today which lost touch with the common folk

Exactly... So what do they do?  They get music artists, athletes, and actors to try and spread the "message."  The most detached from reality are reacting to a false narrative they believe is real.  It's not their fault really.  It's just what they are good at... Thinking, acting, performing, and saying what someone else tells them to is their job.  Everyone of them has a personal manager, a publicist, a script, etc. etc.  I thought and still hold on to the belief that U2 is somewhat different and one of the exceptions to that but that has become very difficult to believe with lyrics like "The showman prays his heartache will chart."  Since when does Bono/U2 care about charts?  The publicity stunts to try and get "new fans" over the past several years is almost insulting to "true fans" who are supposed to be able to purchase tickets to the concerts... for an average price of $250/per seat.  I guess the god U2 believes in isn't short of cash and they want to make sure they aren't either.  Love the songs.  Love the past more.  Holding on to hope that this upcoming tour is actually a U2 concert and not an anti-Trump rally.  That is all.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
It is an insult to the fans who were there from way back.  The true fans don't care where the songs chart as long as we love them, if they chart it's a bonus.  Although when you sacrifice tunes for throwaway pop songs especially when it's to bring in a younger audience who doesn't buy albums or pays up the hundreds to attend the concerts then what's the point? 

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
"The showman prays his heartache will chart", Er..I'm not sure quoting an ironic song lyric is the best support for your opinion. Personally, I'm thankful for the younger audience that came in with HTDAAB and NLOTH. It's kept the floor more lively than most shows that have featured 40 year in existence bands. I do feel that tickets have risen too much in price, but I'm always happy for new fans to come on board, even if it means competition for the so called "true fans." Besides, in some fan views, even my 21 year fanship could be called into question.

Offline Hustoninut

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
@u2live... Your observation of "a throwaway pop song" is exactly right. 
@ popsadie... I get what your saying about an "ironic song lyric" but I don't believe Bono takes any of his lyrics lightly.  I think that one line in that song says A LOT about where his head is and has been lately.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the song.  I think it's one of the better songs on SOE precisely for the same reason I'm criticizing it.  It seems to be one of the truer to the emotion of the band than others.  Another and maybe a better example of what I'm saying is having a song where Kendrick Lamar does the intro and U2 have a few lines on Kendrick's CD.  Why?  Because these two are kindred artists that just felt a need to collaborate on their art?  No... It's because a record label/producer thought it was a good idea and may cross sell. (BTW, I like K.L. too but I doubt anyone will remember who he is 30 years from now) I'm all for new or younger U2 fans, but I just don't think there was anything wrong with what U2 was doing to gain new fans for the past 30 years.  Just put out great music that is from the heart and soul and it will connect with people.  They don't need gimmicks like putting the music on everyone's I-POD.  I guess what I'm saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it.  U2 is the greatest band ever because they are... Not because they "sold" someone on it.  I guess the evidence will be this tour.  Typically U2 sells out every venue and it's always a packed house.  This time around it sure seems like there is still A LOT of availability.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
haven't missed a tour in 30 years but I'm skipping this one and ticket prices is a major reason............

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
I think it's odd how some people seem surprised and hurt on U2's response to the current political situation. 

Back in the 80's, I was from a family of big Reagan supporters.  There was no doubt where U2 stood on a lot of his issues.  I took it and left it.  It was what it was.  After listening to this band for three decades, at this point I'm not surprised at anything Bono says.  I know where he's coming from.  He's been consistent.   

I don't think it should be surprise to anyone what U2's response is to someone who is in the current leadership in the United States.  A man, from his own tweets isn't a turn the other cheek sort of person and seems to seems to enjoy singling large swaths of people out...  I'm surprised people seem so wounded by it now.  Take it and leave it, if you enjoy the sound of the music.  Because if you've listen to the lyrics of the music, since the get-go, it shouldn't be a surprise where they would stand on what's going on right now.

Personally, I look at it like when I listen to a lot of hip hop...  I don't agree with a lot of what they say, but I like the music and the beat enough...  I'm not fragile enough that it upsets me and I know what I'm getting in to... 

Just my nickel and dime on the matter. 

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
At least the band will embrace all their fans. Another band I like and have liked for a very long time put out a post on social media saying if you are a Trump supporter or voted for Trump we don't want you as a fan or something like that.

That's horrible to pass judgement on them for who they voted for....It doesn't make them bad people. They may differ from you in your beliefs but you don't shun them. I respect U2 for not doing a similar thing. They may be critical of the president but their fans are their fans. Conservative, Libertarian, Progressive it doesn't matter its the love of the music that brings us together. Like I said in a earlier post them doing EXIT during the Joshua Tree tour was perfect. You got the point across without cramming it down everyone's throats and made it a kick ass performance every night as a result.

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »
The thing is, U2's interest in Lamar doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Their musical forms may differ, but their ideologies share similarities. Both artist are interested in using music as a form for sharing and exploring their political AND religious ideas, and both seem to be more like reformers than revolutionaries. Musically, I have a hard time relating to hip-hop, but ideologically, I'm on board with a lot of what Kendrick has to say. I suspect members of U2 are as well.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 02:11:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing is, U2's interest in Lamar doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Their musical forms may differ, but their ideologies share similarities. Both artist are interested in using music as a form for sharing and exploring their political AND religious ideas, and both seem to be more like reformers than revolutionaries. Musically, I have a hard time relating to hip-hop, but ideologically, I'm on board with a lot of what Kendrick has to say. I suspect members of U2 are as well.

Yep. Two different genres, but two very similar energies and motivations.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 01:25:56 PM »
Sadly, this is the first U2 album since I've liked the band that can't bring myself to purchasing.