Poll

Would you prefer U2/Bono keep politics out of the music

Absolutely yes.  Stay away from it completly
6 (12.5%)
Yes on politics but I'm ok with bringing attention to a cause
11 (22.9%)
Don't care either way
7 (14.6%)
No. U2 having a microphone gives them the right to voice thier opinion over others
21 (43.8%)
No. If Bono/U2 don't tell me how to think I wouldn't be able to figure it out on my own.
3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closes: February 24, 2018, 05:19:58 PM

Author Topic: U2 and Politics Take the poll  (Read 597 times)

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
Re: U2 and Politics Take the poll
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
Be impartial. If you are going to speak out point out the evils on both sides not just one side.

The way they did EXIT for me was a perfect way to put politics into it and still be entertaining while not losing the message.

That is all I will say :)

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »
U2 kinda reminds me of the DEM party of today which lost touch with the common folk

Offline Hustoninut

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 kinda reminds me of the DEM party of today which lost touch with the common folk

Exactly... So what do they do?  They get music artists, athletes, and actors to try and spread the "message."  The most detached from reality are reacting to a false narrative they believe is real.  It's not their fault really.  It's just what they are good at... Thinking, acting, performing, and saying what someone else tells them to is their job.  Everyone of them has a personal manager, a publicist, a script, etc. etc.  I thought and still hold on to the belief that U2 is somewhat different and one of the exceptions to that but that has become very difficult to believe with lyrics like "The showman prays his heartache will chart."  Since when does Bono/U2 care about charts?  The publicity stunts to try and get "new fans" over the past several years is almost insulting to "true fans" who are supposed to be able to purchase tickets to the concerts... for an average price of $250/per seat.  I guess the god U2 believes in isn't short of cash and they want to make sure they aren't either.  Love the songs.  Love the past more.  Holding on to hope that this upcoming tour is actually a U2 concert and not an anti-Trump rally.  That is all.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
It is an insult to the fans who were there from way back.  The true fans don't care where the songs chart as long as we love them, if they chart it's a bonus.  Although when you sacrifice tunes for throwaway pop songs especially when it's to bring in a younger audience who doesn't buy albums or pays up the hundreds to attend the concerts then what's the point? 

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
"The showman prays his heartache will chart", Er..I'm not sure quoting an ironic song lyric is the best support for your opinion. Personally, I'm thankful for the younger audience that came in with HTDAAB and NLOTH. It's kept the floor more lively than most shows that have featured 40 year in existence bands. I do feel that tickets have risen too much in price, but I'm always happy for new fans to come on board, even if it means competition for the so called "true fans." Besides, in some fan views, even my 21 year fanship could be called into question.

Offline Hustoninut

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
@u2live... Your observation of "a throwaway pop song" is exactly right. 
@ popsadie... I get what your saying about an "ironic song lyric" but I don't believe Bono takes any of his lyrics lightly.  I think that one line in that song says A LOT about where his head is and has been lately.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the song.  I think it's one of the better songs on SOE precisely for the same reason I'm criticizing it.  It seems to be one of the truer to the emotion of the band than others.  Another and maybe a better example of what I'm saying is having a song where Kendrick Lamar does the intro and U2 have a few lines on Kendrick's CD.  Why?  Because these two are kindred artists that just felt a need to collaborate on their art?  No... It's because a record label/producer thought it was a good idea and may cross sell. (BTW, I like K.L. too but I doubt anyone will remember who he is 30 years from now) I'm all for new or younger U2 fans, but I just don't think there was anything wrong with what U2 was doing to gain new fans for the past 30 years.  Just put out great music that is from the heart and soul and it will connect with people.  They don't need gimmicks like putting the music on everyone's I-POD.  I guess what I'm saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it.  U2 is the greatest band ever because they are... Not because they "sold" someone on it.  I guess the evidence will be this tour.  Typically U2 sells out every venue and it's always a packed house.  This time around it sure seems like there is still A LOT of availability.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: Today at 06:19:14 AM »
haven't missed a tour in 30 years but I'm skipping this one and ticket prices is a major reason............