Author Topic: "The Four New U2 Songs" Songs of Experience Reconciliation  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
"The Four New U2 Songs" Songs of Experience Reconciliation
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
I listened to the "four new songs" ("You're the Best Thing About Me," "Get Out of Your Own Way," "American Soul," and "The Blackout") quite a bit before December 1.  I liked them all, to various degrees. 

When the new record dropped, I skipped over these four songs when I listened to the rest of the new album, due to familiarity.  Lately, though, I'm able to put them into the context of the album as a whole, maybe for the first time. 

That said, it's a pretty solid album, I think, when all put together.  Really good U2 songs -- maybe not totally knock-you-on-your back -- all-the-way-through.  Yet many powerful and worthwhile U2 moments.  Each track, in various aspects, are good.  Some overwhelmingly so. 

Did/are others having a similar issue?  Putting the songs we heard since late summer, prior to December, into the album itself?  For me until recently, it was a separation (of sorts) a'la "Ordinary Love," and "Invisible."

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: "The Four New U2 Songs" Songs of Experience Reconciliation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »
I've run into this in the past, which is why I tried avoiding the new songs as much as possible prior to the album release.  I had heard Best thing, Blackout and live versions of Little Things when the album was released, and I've been able to put them all into the context of the album, with the exception of Blackout.  I like the song a lot but it stands out like a sore thumb sandwiched between Landlady and Love is bigger.  Minor complaint, however.  I love the album.

Oddly, I feel I like Best Thing much more better in the context of the album than I did by itself.  I also heard GOOYOW in a crowded sports bar the other night.  Sounded really good in a public place at an increased volume!

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:16:32 PM »
Try Love is all we have left, then Book of Your Heart, then St Peters Strings Lights of home as an alternative three song opener. Then Landlady, American Soul, Red Flag, Little Things and finish with 13.....

A much more mature cohesive darker album.
I still wish Mercy had been included.
I think they should have gone with the ‘Russian’ feel of BOYH and St Peters

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
My experience mirrors yours Vox.  I'm feeling better about the "four new songs" and how they fit into the album, but they do still stand out for me as different than the others. 

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Try Love is all we have left, then Book of Your Heart, then St Peters Strings Lights of home as an alternative three song opener. Then Landlady, American Soul, Red Flag, Little Things and finish with 13.....

A much more mature cohesive darker album.
I still wish Mercy had been included.
I think they should have gone with the ‘Russian’ feel of BOYH and St Peters
What is your full alternate playlist?

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
Actually, the more I listen to this album...  Disclaimer: I'm someone who loves the 90s U2 the best...  But when I first heard these songs, my initial reaction was "here's U2 reaching for the pop songs again..." 

But usually when latter-day U2 tries to do pop songs, those songs fade quickly.  However, "You're the Best Thing About Me," "Get Out of Your Own Way," and "American Soul" are still growing and gaining on me.  There's a certain urgency to them.  What I may have at first dismissed as U2 trying to come up with a modern day pop song are gaining in relevancy.  At least for me.  I used to skip these songs after the album came out.  Now I look forward to them when I "put on" the album (and don't need to wait, since they come early).  Put it together with all the other songs, and this album keeps creeping, and creeping on me. 

Are they really trying to put songs on Top 40, or just good songs, in general?  Well, they have modern-day production values, sure,  But they don't really sound like anything on Top 40, do they?  If anything, there seems to be a late 50's/early 60's vibe with modern day production timeless sheen on them.  I think I, personally, dismissed them far too quickly. 

U2 spent years on this album.  Figuring out, down to the overwrought detail what they wanted to put out.  And this is what they put out.  Sometimes, in the past, this hurts them.  For me, not so sure this time.  There's a certain depth and (dare I say, even) nuance to these songs that I'm still unravelling.  Like the tribe-intensity of the second verse of "You're the Best Thing..."  or the spritly wink-and-nod of the verses of "Get Out of Your Own Way," or the jangled guitars deep in the mix of "American Soul."  There's so much going on that take listen upon listen to get at. 

Anywho...  I almost feel, as someone who's enamored with Achtung Baby, and Zooropa, and appreciate so much the U2 of Passengers and Pop that I shouldn't love these songs, but I do...  More and more each day.  Didn't think it would happen with these three songs.  But it did.  Thank goodness for me...