Author Topic: what do you think  (Read 1367 times)

Offline kevtn43

• Wanderer
what do you think
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:37:39 AM »
I think that it is time for the band to do a live album they haven't done one since Rattle and Hum what do you think?

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Re: what do you think
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »
No one seems to do live albums anymore.  Just DVD's.  If you want live recordings there are plenty to be found as well.

Offline Larry Mullen Seniors Son

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »
I think concert-goers documenting every song at every show on YouTube has taken a little of the zeal out of making live albums. Streaming too, I suppose. We still get the occasional concert-movie though, like with I&E I guess. The Killers at Royal Albert Hall and Foo Fighters Skin and Bones are the last two live "albums" I remember really making a splash, they were both 10+ years ago now though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:25:42 PM by Larry Mullen Seniors Son »

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »
They should do what Springsteen does and release every show

Offline kevtn43

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »
There is some bands that still release live albums like the stones,iron madien ,sabbath, motley crue, even Sir Paul McCartney they could do this, or even do what the stones have done recently and release stuff from past tours

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »
i have been amazed for some time that U2, known to be one of the best live acts of all time, don't release more live stuff. Maybe they think people will be less likely to attend shows or something. I thought the 360 tour was really ground breaking given the stage setup etc, yet all they could release was a lack lustre (by the crowd) performance in LA. They really should have released the U2.com subscriber gift of all the live 360 songs at Xmas in there somewhere, especially with so little else going on by the band at the time. could have even done a deluxe release with studio performances of songs they played but never put on a album like North Star, Mercy and so on. Whilst not their best work, they could have avoided considering it a normal album etc but still would have sold fairly well by being with the live material. 

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »
Lord, no. Couldn't disagree more.

My sincerest hope is the band regroups, strips down and I want them to eschew the need for demographic appeal and make the album they should have prior to The Joshua Tree or directly after it sans the itch that was Rattle and Hum and the existential crisis that blossomed into Achtung Baby.

I heard pieces of this (desired) album in their cover of Springhill Mining Disaster and in All I Want Is You, but feel like there was something more unexplored. And I think during that period, Simple Minds explored that territory however incompletely with Belfast Child. None the less, that stab at something contemporary but Celtic and ancient comes through in all the songs mentioned.

And as these guys turn the corner into 60, what an absolute gift it will be not to have to pander. In fact it would appropriate if they didn't continue to pander. They can be what they are: Older, Irish, men obliged to play, if dignity matters, sweeping, soulful, (Irish?) tunes. Still plugged in, still experimental, but God please, something powerfully quiet and yet orchestral and melancholic and soaring in unmistakable Christian hope, something truly counter-cultural...given the state of it all today.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:01:36 AM by ITM »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think that it is time for the band to do a live album they haven't done one since Rattle and Hum what do you think?

I remember reading an interview with Bono a while ago where he said he views their concert movie releases as their live albums.

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »
I think titles shoule be clear and not clickbaity but dis forum ded neway.

Offline siddavis

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
I would be all for it if they didn't over mix it.  Their later live DVDs are washed way too much.  They sound great live, but they think it has to sound like a studio and I don't get it.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:06 PM »
I want a stripped down, unpolished, experimental, under produced record. Not accoustic, just raw.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 12:12:32 AM »
At this point in their career, I think a "bootlegs" box set would be interesting.

It's too bad that the NYC show was shortened for the Joshua Tree reissue.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline KJWarnock82

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 04:53:17 AM »
Does anyone know of any plans to release the DVD or Blu Ray of the Joshua Tree tour? Thought it should have been out by now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:50:20 PM by KJWarnock82 »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
Really hope there will be one!

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know of any plans to release the DVD or Boy Ray of the Joshua Tree tour? Thought it should have been out by now.

Given SOE just came out, no surprise there was no JT tour DVD just yet. I would bet on it for Xmas this year, then SOE tour DVD for Xmas 2019 and a new greatest hits CD for Xmas 2020. All to help fill the void to the next album in 2022 or later...