Author Topic: Only 2 L.A. shows?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
Only 2 L.A. shows?
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
It seems even the obvious stops like L.A., Chicago, NYC, London, etc are getting no more than 2 nights this tour. I would have expected L.A. gets 5 shows like on i/e but wouldn't they have been announced by now? I went to all 5 L.A. shows in '15 and it was great (GA 3 of 5), but I admit it's exhausting.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
Re: Only 2 L.A. shows?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »
no demand this year

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
There are hundreds, probably a few thousand unsold seats for LA 2 - I didn't check LA -1. (this is the same for Santa Clara aka San Francisco Bay Area.) - The reason for no more shows is probably that these shows are not sold out or even close.

Offline 3po1nt0

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
they left a big enough gap between LA2 and chicago i thought they'd play a couple during weekend 5/18-20 but they ended up getting filled by a one-off nebraska show - also very undersold.  it's weird because joshua tree sold out the rose bowl 2 nights (weekend) and this is 1/3 the size. really surprised the core fan base who'd show up to mid-week shows isn't over 15k here in LA.  maybe average age of audience has caught up with everyone.  lots of factors at play.

edit: sold my extra pair last weekend
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:40:54 PM by 3po1nt0 »

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »
It's clear Live Nation/U2 over-priced the tickets this time.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »
Is over pricing the main problem? Or over exposure plus lukewarm album reception? Overpricing can't be helping of course.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's clear Live Nation/U2 over-priced the tickets this time.

Tickets are still available for LA 2 for ALL price levels. Given that, it appears to be more a lack of demand than ticket price.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
Is over pricing the main problem? Or over exposure plus lukewarm album reception? Overpricing can't be helping of course.

Underexposure to the general public, plus too many shows over the past 3 years in this market. 5 arena shows in 2015, 2 stadium shows in 2017, has meant the band can barley fill two shows in 2018 in the LA market. Take away the Joshua Tree tour in 2017 and you might be getting 4 arena shows in LA for this tour. The band originally planned for 8 shows in 2015, but peaked at 5 because demand had fallen by 50% from the 360 tour.

Only the hardcore fanbase is supporting U2 at this point, and some of them are skipping these shows because they saw them last year and in 2015.

U2 may need to take a break for about 3 years to allow demand for them in these market to return to what it was in 2015. But without a hit like Vertigo or Beautiful Day, they won't be doing business like they did on 360 again.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 09:13:19 AM »
I wouldn’t say that it’s the only problem, but it is certainly part of it. Seriously, at least 40% of the tickets in any given city are over $300. The shoddy excuse that Ticketmaster/Live Nation is offering is that they’re simply selling them at what they’d go for on secondary markets, like Stubhub. Whatever the excuse, U2 signed off on it, as their past successes have gone to their head, where they expect their fans to pay damn near whatever they end up charging, and that their new album, containing many of their absolute worst lyrics in their entire career, is far better than it is (hence their seeming to entertain the thought that they can do a set that skips their signature live song).

I’m a casual fan of Elton John and Andrea Bocelli, but I sure as hell am not going to see either of them when they play my city coming up, due to how hilariously expensive tickets are. Also, I’m driving 2 hours to see Metallica, as tickets were at least 20% cheaper than in my own city (seriously, I paid something like $80 for a ticket that is going for around $180 in the identical section in my own cities arena).

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
I wouldn’t say that it’s the only problem, but it is certainly part of it. Seriously, at least 40% of the tickets in any given city are over $300. The shoddy excuse that Ticketmaster/Live Nation is offering is that they’re simply selling them at what they’d go for on secondary markets, like Stubhub. Whatever the excuse, U2 signed off on it, as their past successes have gone to their head, where they expect their fans to pay damn near whatever they end up charging, and that their new album, containing many of their absolute worst lyrics in their entire career, is far better than it is (hence their seeming to entertain the thought that they can do a set that skips their signature live song).

I’m a casual fan of Elton John and Andrea Bocelli, but I sure as hell am not going to see either of them when they play my city coming up, due to how hilariously expensive tickets are. Also, I’m driving 2 hours to see Metallica, as tickets were at least 20% cheaper than in my own city (seriously, I paid something like $80 for a ticket that is going for around $180 in the identical section in my own cities arena).

The LA shows still have $41 dollar tickets available.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »

Reread my first sentence.

The obvious other problem is over-saturation, as they played 2 stadium shows there last year, and then 5 arena shows 2 years ago.

They should’ve started this tour in Aussie, NZ, Japanese, and Korean arenas, before moving into Europe, and then ending in North America. By that time, the market demand would have returned back to near peak, especially if the shows garner good reviews in the press.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:54:36 PM by cocamojoe »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »

Reread my first sentence.

The obvious other problem is over-saturation, as they played 2 stadium shows there last year, and then 5 arena shows 2 years ago.

They should’ve started this tour in Aussie, NZ, Japanese, and Korean arenas, before moving into Europe, and then ending in North America. By that time, the market demand would have returned back to near peak, especially if the shows garner good reviews in the press.

If ticket prices were too high, then the lower priced tickets, $41, $76, and $106 would all be gone and you'd have just large numbers of high priced tickets available. The $300 dollar tickets are expensive and if that turns someone away, well there are still tickets as little as $41. Those not willing to purchase the $300 dollar tickets should be scooping up those lower priced tickets. That's not happening though, which leads me to believe that its not price, but just general lack of demand and interest. Yes, doing the stadium shows in 2017 has hurt the bands tour for the Songs Of Experience album. I think they were hoping maybe it would fire up interest in the new album and its tour, but instead it seems to have depleted demand for it.

They will just have to make the best of it though at this time. There probably will not be a ZOO TV tour 30th anniversary as I don't think they want another nostalgia tour cutting into demand for new albums and tours in the future.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
1. Over-saturation of that market.
2. Ticket prices.
3. Less and less general interest for new U2 music.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be an Australian U2 fan lately. No I+E tour. No TJT anniversary tour. And now the E+I tour cranks up again in the US. But I would totally understand why a general U2 fan (as opposed to a hardcore one) would pass on seeing them play for the third time in 3 years...

Offline mythbustesr

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08:18 AM »
Worth noting that many of the $41 tickets are price drops. I bought one behind the stage as it was all I can afford, but now you can get them all over the place!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 07:32:19 AM »
What does a behind-the-stage ticket get you? Is there at least a screen back there?