Author Topic: Why No Toronto?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline LePierrot

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Why No Toronto?
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
I don't visit the forums much but I have to ask to get some kind of feedback, aren't people (namely Canadians) upset by U2 bypassing Toronto completely on this tour.  You have to go back to the October Tour in 1981/82 to find the last time U2 left Toronto out!!!  I can't believe they're not coming.  In a post I first made at Zootopia I said that skipping Toronto is like announcing a US tour and not playing NYC.  I really can't believe it.  I've made every tour since the Joshua Tree (1987) and now it's coming to an end.  Does anyone know why!?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: Why No Toronto?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
I've seen every Toronto show since 87 save 1. September 16 2005.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »
Montrealer here. Had to travel to Toronto for JT30, so our turn this time around.  ;)

Offline LePierrot

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:27:54 PM »
I would say to Montreal that that equally sucks.  So how about they play both cities (as they usually have done).  Are they adverse to money?

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:28:34 AM »
For Toronto it would be at the ACC.  The spot in the schedule that would make the most sense is between Atlanta and Montreal, they have about a week gap.

But!!!!  The end of May and beginning of June is the playoffs for both the Raptors and the Leafs.  Both may make the playoffs (unless the Leafs choke).

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment own the ACC and would have first rights on the arena.

My guess is, if the either, or both teams fall out of the playoffs early, you will see a late addition to the tour schedule and Toronto added.  It can be late as they know it will sell out.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
When will people know for sure about the playoffs?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When will people know for sure about the playoffs?

NHL regular season ends on April, 8, 2017.
NBA regular season ends on April 11, 2017.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
If the EI tour does come to the Air Canada Center or Scotiabank Arena it will probably be on June 1 & 2, 2018.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 04:30:58 AM »
Last year the playoffs did not end until June 11 and 12th for the NHL and the NBA.  The final round started near the end of May.  This is why there is currently no commitment.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:21 AM »
But they have to know whether both teams make the playoffs first.

Offline oceanman

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
Hello people. I have been a dedicated fan since 1983 and U2 has never not had a Toronto stop on a tour. Does anyone know why Toronto is excluded on this tour?

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:59:10 PM »
Not an issue in Montreal. Habs suck big time this year. No playoffs 99.456% sure.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 03:47:42 AM »
If the teams make it to the playoffs, still a chance.  If they don't make it out the first couple of rounds, they would be finished in time.  They would have to make it to the final round for both the MBA and NHL, probably a slim chance.  Teams are doing well, but not THAT well.

Offline brupars

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
Travel if you want to see it. How many shows did Texas get for ie and ei? That would be Zero. We are flying to Boston from Houston, just as we did in 2015. Fourth largest city in the United States, largest size in the lower 48, second largest population state gets no shows. None in the entire southeast either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't visit the forums much but I have to ask to get some kind of feedback, aren't people (namely Canadians) upset by U2 bypassing Toronto completely on this tour.  You have to go back to the October Tour in 1981/82 to find the last time U2 left Toronto out!!!  I can't believe they're not coming.  In a post I first made at Zootopia I said that skipping Toronto is like announcing a US tour and not playing NYC.  I really can't believe it.  I've made every tour since the Joshua Tree (1987) and now it's coming to an end.  Does anyone know why!?

It‘s not that complicated. When it all comes down this is not a new tour but a 3rd leg. In NA and Europe u2 (more precisely Live Nation) have booked cities that were not on the itinerary in 2015. Of course they do play some key cities again but not Toronto. U2 have skipped cities like London, Dublin, Boston, Miami, Denver in The past too. Well Toronto got 4 shows on the ieTour - that’s it.