Author Topic: Why No Toronto?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline brupars

• Babyface
Re: Why No Toronto?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't visit the forums much but I have to ask to get some kind of feedback, aren't people (namely Canadians) upset by U2 bypassing Toronto completely on this tour.  You have to go back to the October Tour in 1981/82 to find the last time U2 left Toronto out!!!  I can't believe they're not coming.  In a post I first made at Zootopia I said that skipping Toronto is like announcing a US tour and not playing NYC.  I really can't believe it.  I've made every tour since the Joshua Tree (1987) and now it's coming to an end.  Does anyone know why!?

It‘s not that complicated. When it all comes down this is not a new tour but a 3rd leg. In NA and Europe u2 (more precisely Live Nation) have booked cities that were not on the itinerary in 2015. Of course they do play some key cities again but not Toronto. U2 have skipped cities like London, Dublin, Boston, Miami, Denver in The past too. Well Toronto got 4 shows on the ieTour - that’s it.
Wrong. Many cities are repeats from ie. Still nothing in the south, no Texas either ie or ei tour.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline LePierrot

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
I don't visit the forums much but I have to ask to get some kind of feedback, aren't people (namely Canadians) upset by U2 bypassing Toronto completely on this tour.  You have to go back to the October Tour in 1981/82 to find the last time U2 left Toronto out!!!  I can't believe they're not coming.  In a post I first made at Zootopia I said that skipping Toronto is like announcing a US tour and not playing NYC.  I really can't believe it.  I've made every tour since the Joshua Tree (1987) and now it's coming to an end.  Does anyone know why!?

Again I'll reiterate.  Not playing Toronto is like not playing NYC on an American tour.  Everyone in at least the northeast of the US would sh** themselves if they did that.  It's also since the October tour of 1981 that U2 did not play Toronto.  So breaking a run of over 30 years is to me, a big deal.  I'm a little tired of being told this is "not complicated" and not a big deal.  If I felt like that I think that would show some indifference to one of my favourite bands.  As well, the facilities in Toronto aren't the only ones around to serve the area.  There's the city of Hamilton, Ontario, 45 minutes by car west of Toronto that has a national football stadium that seats approximately 30, 000 people.  There's also an outdoor amphitheatre now called Budweiser Stage, once called the Molson Amphitheatre,  in Toronto, capacity 16, 000.

It‘s not that complicated. When it all comes down this is not a new tour but a 3rd leg. In NA and Europe u2 (more precisely Live Nation) have booked cities that were not on the itinerary in 2015. Of course they do play some key cities again but not Toronto. U2 have skipped cities like London, Dublin, Boston, Miami, Denver in The past too. Well Toronto got 4 shows on the ieTour - that’s it.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:34:08 AM »

Wrong. Many cities are repeats from ie. Still nothing in the south, no Texas either ie or ei tour.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

U2 play 14 cities in the USA in 2018. Out of these 14 they have NOT played 9 in 2015! Understand?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »
Actually for U2 to skip Toronto this time is reasonable. At JT Toronto 17 Bono had nothing to say whatsoever. He kept bringing up Leonard Cohen who is from Montreal. I think the relationship is stale and needs new life.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
Actually for U2 to skip Toronto this time is reasonable. At JT Toronto 17 Bono had nothing to say whatsoever. He kept bringing up Leonard Cohen who is from Montreal. I think the relationship is stale and needs new life.
Being the only east coast Canadian show on JT30, and given that Cohen had recently died, I don’t find it odd that Bono mentioned him. What, do only Québécois like Cohen?

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »

Toronto only had 2 shows on I&E.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 04:28:46 PM »
Being the only east coast Canadian show on JT30, and given that Cohen had recently died, I don’t find it odd that Bono mentioned him. What, do only Québécois like Cohen?

It just seems his understanding of Canada needs a refresh.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 10:41:49 PM »

It just seems his understanding of Canada needs a refresh.

We all love Leonard in Montreal, francos and anglos a like. But he’s admired across the country and the whole world for that matter. Just look at the line-up of artists that came to MTL last fall for the commemorative concert:

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 05:45:32 AM »
Sorry, I don't read the CBC. I just can't click on it.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
Guys - I’ve removed a couple of posts that for some reason got into a bit of a spat about the life and death situation about why U2 are playing Montreal as opposed to Toronto. Keep it civil please - rules are clear (suggest a revisit - they are clearly displayed all around the Forum) and any more will result in warnings. You know who you are.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »
Guys - I’ve removed a couple of posts that for some reason got into a bit of a spat about the life and death situation about why U2 are playing Montreal as opposed to Toronto. Keep it civil please - rules are clear (suggest a revisit - they are clearly displayed all around the Forum) and any more will result in warnings. You know who you are.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
Being on the West Coast, I'm somewhat disappointed (but not surprised) that U2 hasn't included a date or two for Vancouver on this tour but, if I had to chose between them coming to town for this or last year's incredible Joshua Tree spectacle?  2017 wins hands down...  Toronto was also treated to a 2017 performance so I don't have such a big problem with them opting for Montreal instead...  Montrealers truly missed out last time around, now it's their turn to revel in U2 brilliance...  Should this tour gather steam and garner more North American dates then, who knows...  Maybe Vancouver and/or Toronto may just yet get to indulge in the Experience...  Montreal really is not that far away from Toronto anyway, and I believe that the second show has yet to sell out so if you just gotta go, why not make a road trip?...:-)   

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
Being on the West Coast, I'm somewhat disappointed (but not surprised) that U2 hasn't included a date or two for Vancouver on this tour but, if I had to chose between them coming to town for this or last year's incredible Joshua Tree spectacle?  2017 wins hands down...  Toronto was also treated to a 2017 performance so I don't have such a big problem with them opting for Montreal instead...  Montrealers truly missed out last time around, now it's their turn to revel in U2 brilliance...  Should this tour gather steam and garner more North American dates then, who knows...  Maybe Vancouver and/or Toronto may just yet get to indulge in the Experience...  Montreal really is not that far away from Toronto anyway, and I believe that the second show has yet to sell out so if you just gotta go, why not make a road trip?...:-)

Not the one that everyone knows?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
Is this thing on?

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
very surprised no TORONTO, I thought they may add TOR after rest of cities sold out but it seems they are having trouble selling out due to a few reasons mainly TICKET PRICES, but I will add that I find it odd that they want to attract a younger crowd with their new songs yet prices are higher than ever......... so why would the older fans want to overspend to hear tunes that are more centered around trying to hit the charts?