Author Topic: Why No Toronto?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
Re: Why No Toronto?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Toronto is their biggest market in Canada, and the only markets in the United States that do better or are competitive are New York City, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles. You might even be able to argue that only New York City is a bigger market for them.
Not to be disrespectful, but I would say Montreal is the biggest U2 market in Canada and much of the large US cities, just look up their tours history & their own words about playing Montreal...... granted we did not get the JT2017 Tour, but that tour was VERY American audience centric & nostalgic in North America, that doesn't sell well here in MTL (+ we do not have a real good music stadium here at this time). They are also much bigger in Europe than the US so JT2017 sold very well in EU despite the US centric feel to it, U2 would sell out EU with just about anything.

Well, on ZOO TV, Toronto got two stadium shows with each selling out, while Montreal only got one that did not sellout. On Popmart, Toronto got two stadium shows, Montreal only one. On the Vertigo Tour, four arena shows for Toronto, only two for Montreal. On the 360 tour 3 stadium shows for Toronto, only 2 for Montreal.

So I think that record generally shows that Toronto has been a bigger U2 town than Montreal.

Really? You want to do this?

Elevation: Montreal 3 shows. Toronto: just 2 shows.
360 Montreal: we built a stadium for U2. 2 sellouts of 81000 each.
I&E 2015: 4 shows, all sold out. Toronto: just 2 shows.

In the end, pretty even I say,

U2 sold more tickets in Toronto on the 360 tour than in Montreal. Its just two smaller arena tours where Montreal had the upperhand. If your really want to do this, number of U2 tickets sold to date in Toronto vs Montreal over U2's entire career, Toronto wins. Those are just the facts.

Greater Montreal population: 4 million
Greater Toronto population: 6 million
Care to put those ticket sales relative to population?  :D

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »

Toronto is their biggest market in Canada, and the only markets in the United States that do better or are competitive are New York City, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles. You might even be able to argue that only New York City is a bigger market for them.
Not to be disrespectful, but I would say Montreal is the biggest U2 market in Canada and much of the large US cities, just look up their tours history & their own words about playing Montreal...... granted we did not get the JT2017 Tour, but that tour was VERY American audience centric & nostalgic in North America, that doesn't sell well here in MTL (+ we do not have a real good music stadium here at this time). They are also much bigger in Europe than the US so JT2017 sold very well in EU despite the US centric feel to it, U2 would sell out EU with just about anything.

Well, on ZOO TV, Toronto got two stadium shows with each selling out, while Montreal only got one that did not sellout. On Popmart, Toronto got two stadium shows, Montreal only one. On the Vertigo Tour, four arena shows for Toronto, only two for Montreal. On the 360 tour 3 stadium shows for Toronto, only 2 for Montreal.

So I think that record generally shows that Toronto has been a bigger U2 town than Montreal.

U2 sold more tickets in Toronto on the 360 tour than in Montreal. Its just two smaller arena tours where Montreal had the upperhand. If your really want to do this, number of U2 tickets sold to date in Toronto vs Montreal over U2's entire career, Toronto wins. Those are just the facts.

What matters to U2 is where they sell the most tickets. If much of that is due to Toronto's larger population, so be it. That's why New York City is their #1 market in the United States. On a per capita basis, that's a different issue.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »

What matters to U2 is where they sell the most tickets. If much of that is due to Toronto's larger population, so be it. That's why New York City is their #1 market in the United States. On a per capita basis, that's a different issue.

I think this time around its a question of the main indoor venue not being available for U2 when they wanted to swing by Toronto.

We had a similar problem for 360. There was no outside venue available to have this massive tour come to Montreal. But what did the local promoter say to U2? The hell with it, we will build a venue. Just for your show. So, which is the bigger U2 town, as you say?  :D

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
Updated rumour from u2songs points The Bell Centre  as the home of EI rehearsals.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
Updated rumour from u2songs points The Bell Centre  as the home of EI rehearsals.

Actually its Place Bell in Laval. A smaller venue north of Montreal. Belongs to same group as the Bell Center (Canadiens Hockey Club / evenko group)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
You're right. I thought it was just lost in translation.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
You're right. I thought it was just lost in translation.

Btw, I think the Toronto vs Montreal debate is settled with this recent news.  ;D

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
360 Montreal shows were the two best I've seen on Canadian soil.

Offline Passenger789

• Wanderer
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
Actually the article says Centre Videotron in Quebec City, not Bell Centre or Place Bell.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:19:55 AM by Passenger789 »

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »
Actually the article says Centre Videotron in Quebec City, not Bell Centre or Place Bell.

From what I read, the rumor is Laval, not Quebec City

Offline Passenger789

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »

From what I read, the rumor is Laval, not Quebec City

Aah, did not see the Twitter post, I'm not on the Twittosphere  :D

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
The G7 conference is in Quebec right after the Monteal shows. I'd assume Bono will be there.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »
Toronto looks doubtful.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »
If you weren't paying attention, Game 7 of the NHL is tonight, so if a concert is to be announced it could be soon. Just speculation.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 04:15:03 AM »
Leafs are out of the playoffs.  That may make some room for a concert between Atlanta GA and Montreal CA.  The Raptors look like they should make it to the second round.  Time will tell.  Fingers crossed.