Author Topic: Why No Toronto?  (Read 5251 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: Why No Toronto?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
It will definitely be the weekend from June 2, 3.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 04:00:15 AM »
Let's see if it happens. 

Leafs were out in the first round and the Raptors are now out in the second. 

This leaves the Air Canada Centre wide open from May 30th to June 4th.  With U2 performing in Atlanta on May 28th and the first show in Montreal on June 5th, there is plenty of time to have a show in Toronto.  This is the largest gap in the schedule.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let's see if it happens. 

Leafs were out in the first round and the Raptors are now out in the second. 

This leaves the Air Canada Centre wide open from May 30th to June 4th.  With U2 performing in Atlanta on May 28th and the first show in Montreal on June 5th, there is plenty of time to have a show in Toronto.  This is the largest gap in the schedule.

I don't think the band will announce and put a new show on sale with only 3 weeks to go till that point. Maybe in 2019 they will come back for another North American Leg of the tour.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »
They would have no problem selling out at least 2 shows in the Toronto market, even with 3 weeks.  The market is 10 million people.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
They would have no problem selling out at least 2 shows in the Toronto market, even with 3 weeks.  The market is 10 million people.

I don't think the issue is selling out. Its more about scheduling and putting the whole thing together for the crew, band, venue etc. I think nearly every show, regardless of market size is announced with well over month in advance of show time.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Perhaps there will be a third leg although I doubt it. I would have thought they would head to Australia and maybe South America? Who knows they may just stop. Same issue here in Scotland where we missed JT Tour and now E&I. They played one of their best shows on the I&E tour in Glasgow last time round.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2018, 04:04:30 AM »
My thoughts are it is already all set up for Toronto, but I could be wrong.  They were waiting to make sure they had the arena.  It is strange to leave an 8 day hole in the schedule.  What do they do with the crew, staff etc. for 8 days?

It is unfortunate that Scotland was left out this time around.  I was there in Glasgow for both shows and the second show was one of the best, if not the best of the I&E tour.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2018, 04:26:56 AM »
My thoughts are it is already all set up for Toronto, but I could be wrong.  They were waiting to make sure they had the arena.  It is strange to leave an 8 day hole in the schedule.  What do they do with the crew, staff etc. for 8 days?

It is unfortunate that Scotland was left out this time around.  I was there in Glasgow for both shows and the second show was one of the best, if not the best of the I&E tour.
Glasgow to Manchester is only a 3 and half hour drive, though.  Where I live, in Arkansas, to St. Louis, the closest show on the last tour, is 6 hours.  And the show was cancelled, so I drove all that way for nothing RIP.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 04:58:59 AM »

Both Toronto playoff teams are out now. Has U2 ever announced s show in an arena with less than a months time?

Offline SoCalU2Lover

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »

It is not uncommon to have a break in the middle of a tour leg.  They might even fly back to Ireland and spend a few days at home.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but I know of some other bands who routinely stick in a 7-10 day break if it's a 2 month tour leg.  It just makes sense from the standpoint of not getting too burned out.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »

Both Toronto playoff teams are out now. Has U2 ever announced s show in an arena with less than a months time?

Possibly the first leg of ZOO TV although I'm not positive about that. What I do know is that I went to the March 10, 1992 performance of U2 ZOO TV at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. The tickets for that show went on sale February 22, 1992, just 17 days before the show!

June 2, 2018 is the last date that could play Toronto given that they ALWAYS have two days off before playing multiple shows in a different city. June 2, 2018 is only 22 days away and nothing has even been announced yet.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »

It is not uncommon to have a break in the middle of a tour leg.  They might even fly back to Ireland and spend a few days at home.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but I know of some other bands who routinely stick in a 7-10 day break if it's a 2 month tour leg.  It just makes sense from the standpoint of not getting too burned out.

And Montreal is 'close' to Ireland at least in flight terms.