Author Topic: The 2018 Grammy's show how out of place U2 and rock music in gereral are in 2018  (Read 2131 times)

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
It hit me like a sledgehammer this year watching the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Sza, Childish Gambino, etc... at the Grammys, rock music and U2 are out in the cold, literally.  So much so that U2 and the producers recognized it and didn't even have them play in the Garden.

It's just sad to me.  I'm kind of glad that U2 played out on a barge though.  It saved us from having to watch, what I am sure would have been, the mediocre response from the crowd to them performing GOOYOW.

I give U2 an A for effort for trying to make themselves relevant by partnering with Kendrick Lamar on his album and SOE, however, the end is here for U2.  Time to hit the greatest hits circuit like the legends who have gone before them.

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It hit me like a sledgehammer this year watching the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Sza, Childish Gambino, etc... at the Grammys, rock music and U2 are out in the cold, literally.  So much so that U2 and the producers recognized it and didn't even have them play in the Garden.

It's just sad to me.  I'm kind of glad that U2 played out on a barge though.  It saved us from having to watch, what I am sure would have been, the mediocre response from the crowd to them performing GOOYOW.

I give U2 an A for effort for trying to make themselves relevant by partnering with Kendrick Lamar on his album and SOE, however, the end is here for U2.  Time to hit the greatest hits circuit like the legends who have gone before them.

I imagine the barge decision was dreamed up as a thematically powerful gesture -- the Statue of Liberty as a backdrop to the song, played in support of immigrants. Given what the range of music on display inside -- rap/hip-hop/retro soul/countrified Tears in Heaven/Bernstein/Evita -- U2 would not have shied away from taking the stage in the Garden and would have done just fine. Would have blown the roof off.

Your larger point stands, however. Seems like rock is pretty dead in the Grammy's eyes. U2 serves as the "last of the rock stars."

But I suspect they'll be back next year, playing for an award, making one last stand. If the singer makes it...his face looked haggard. I realize the other guys are exceptionally fit for their late 50s, but Bono looked his age and then some. At least to my eyes.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
I am sure 20 something music figures give U2 some attention but it is probably awkward. The younger people are probably super self obsessed anyway.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
I have never really bothered with the Grammys as music is just so subjective. I don't care if what I like wins no Grammys or 100 of them. If rock is no longer cool, then so be it but it is my genre. But having just watched Youtube footage of the U2 performance, it made no sense whatsoever to be playing from a barge near the Statue of Liberty. could easily have had symbolism of Statue of Liberty inside the Garden itself through graphics or something on the stage etc. Just a really odd thing to do for mine. Agree they would have held their own in person at the Garden and don't think the location imagery was enough to justify doing what they did.

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
Maybe the thread can stay on topic and steer clear of political nonsense

Offline summerholly

• Refugee

I have no interest in the Grammys and I don't even know or care who those people are. I am sure there are plenty of people who would still enjoy a good rock band.  I wish U2 would get over trying to make themselves "relevant" and get back to some of their original mojo.  I am sure there are plenty of old U2 fans and likely some younger fans who would love another great album by them without them trying to sound contemporary whatever that means, and commercial.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
nothing wrong if they made MATURE ROCK instead of chasing the charts

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,

Be nice if the band could as well.

Offline gottago

• Wanderer

I have no interest in the Grammys and I don't even know or care who those people are. I am sure there are plenty of people who would still enjoy a good rock band.  I wish U2 would get over trying to make themselves "relevant" and get back to some of their original mojo.  I am sure there are plenty of old U2 fans and likely some younger fans who would love another great album by them without them trying to sound contemporary whatever that means, and commercial.

So true on needing to stop trying to be relevant!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
It was dreadful and the band looked out of place as much as Clinton (STILL) looked out of place in any public sphere, reading a book of contrived opinion in the eternal DOC script of victimhood no less.

The entire enterprise demonstrated a level of such insular self-congratulatory, self-appointed greatness, that it looked more like a quasi-cultic variety show more befitting a Scientology celebration than an  (a relatively objective) award show for meritorious worth that reflects a participatory society at large.

But this is more manufacturing consent than anything else. Bono said, "Blessed are the shithole countries for they gave us the American dream." Nah. Nope. And if there was irony intended, it fell instantly flat given it's delivered by a guy who has confessed being out of touch with the lower strata of his country never mind with those he mimes to champion.

Since September 20th 2016 on the Charlie Rose show, I haven't been able to look at the man in the same light. I'm waiting and I'm hoping that the monster he's become in order not to become a monster is going to shock me in the best way and not only completely distance himself from the Clintons, but sing for the persecuted Church who are truly voiceless in a deformed left-lib media saturated echo chamber that refuses to report on this nigh-genocide.

Bono Vox - Good Voice, silent on the issue of persecuted Christians...But ever willing to champion the oppressor...Surely Rachel weeps.

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness" - Isaiah 5:20

Feel free to express your feelings about the band, but please keep the "no politics" rule in mind.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright

They've been a political band since they got started. You're asking them to not be U2 anymore.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
IF the studio version was more of the rocker version they played it would def be a bigger hit

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
@gottago

yep, yep and yep!

Ugh, that KL collaboration is like watching a Dad trying to hang out and fit in with his teenage kids.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:37:29 AM by steve70 »

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,

They've been a political band since they got started. You're asking them to not be U2 anymore.

Not at all. I'm asking them to be political in the way they once were. The U2 that was cause-driven rather than party-driven is the U2 I remember. And I've been a fan since the early 80's when they were alternative and counter-culture in the best possible way. I know what U2 is and I know what they were and I prefer what they were and could be again.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
I thought their performance was fab (just like Kendrick Lamar's, Kesha's and Bruno Mars', by the way. It was a nice mix of generations).
Plus the setting was breathtaking.
Moreover, their performance seems to have gone down quite well with many reviewers (links below). For instance, look at the article from Billboard Magazine's website. Rolling Stone magazine is enthusiastic as well, and so is Spin magazine. Both emphasize the fact that "Songs of experience" came out too late to be nominated for the Grammys, but, in their opinions, it would have been a worthy addition.
In the Irish edition of the Independent, Aoife Kelly wrote that "U2 proved their status as rock legends with their rousing performance of Get Out of Your Own Way at the Grammys. They opened the show with Kendrick Lamar, but their solo performance was particularly powerful, with Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty visible in the background of the New York set." She also described their performance as "emotionally charged". Entertainment Weekly labeled it as "thunderous".
Even Belgian "7sur7" media website called U2's barge gig "One of the strongest moments of the evening".
Besides, I don't think rock / pop music is particularly out of place at the moment. Bands such as Muse or U2 still put on massive tours. It just so happens that different musical styles share the stage these days.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:01:20 PM by BlueSquirrel »