Author Topic: The 2018 Grammy's show how out of place U2 and rock music in gereral are in 2018  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
Not discussing politics in a U2 forum is ridiculous.  I get that there was a lot of negativity last year right after the election (a lot for honestly extremely reasonable reasons), but especially considering how political this band has always been and has continued to be, having to not talk about politics makes it impossible to properly talk about the band.  Anyway, U2 seeming out of place at the Grammys is not at all U2's fault.  The Grammys have chosen to completely ignore Rock in the live show (Portugal. The Man, The National, and The War On Drugs all won awards this year, but who would know that?) for several years now so any rock band that plays is going to seem out of place. 

Offline kiwigene

• Stranger in a Strange Land
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Moreover, their performance seems to have gone down quite well with many reviewers (links below). For instance, look at the article from Billboard Magazine's website. Rolling Stone magazine is enthusiastic as well, and so is Spin magazine. Both emphasize the fact that "Songs of experience" came out too late to be nominated for the Grammys, but, in their opinions, it would have been a worthy addition.

U2 have in the past purposely set the album release date so the latest songs/album span two Grammys. 1st single is nominated for the current the Grammys, then the album with following singles and tour are nominated for the next Grammys. Marketing at its finest...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:48:09 PM by kiwigene »

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
Not discussing politics in a U2 forum is ridiculous.  I get that there was a lot of negativity last year right after the election (a lot for honestly extremely reasonable reasons), but especially considering how political this band has always been and has continued to be, having to not talk about politics makes it impossible to properly talk about the band. 

I completely agree. I would also add that a decision that it is not allowed to talk politics is itself very political. The idea that the talk about U2 should be prohibited to only the non-political aspects is an ideological one.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
Not discussing politics in a U2 forum is ridiculous.  I get that there was a lot of negativity last year right after the election (a lot for honestly extremely reasonable reasons), but especially considering how political this band has always been and has continued to be, having to not talk about politics makes it impossible to properly talk about the band. 

Well said.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
I completely agree. I would also add that a decision that it is not allowed to talk politics is itself very political. The idea that the talk about U2 should be prohibited to only the non-political aspects is an ideological one.

Absolutely.

Offline siddavis

• Stranger in a Strange Land
The song is the worst on the album.  When I hear it, I think they stole some wailing from Taylor Swift.  Then there's the performance... good grief.  The bullhorn at the end is just too much.  I'm getting tired of getting yelled at about how I should think, but of course Bono has to take it up one louder. 

I have tickets for the tour, but I'm afraid of the song choices from this album and the yelling I will get in person.

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...

Very good point.  I would like to see a revaluation of this rule and the members given a say in it.  It should be a democratic process.  I'm a long time fan of this forum.  It has been my favorite since I've been a U2 fan.  A blanket ban on any topic really shouldn't exist though. 

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
They didn't even show the Foo Fighters win best rock song. To be fair, they barely show any awards anymore, its mostly performances now.

But yeah, it was basically U2 & Elton John performing as the only 2 rock moments. And the Lady Gaga/Metallica moment last year was screwed up by the unplugged microphone.

Well, I guess Lady Gaga counts as rock-ish this year. Piano and acoustic guitar for her performance. 2 and a half? P!nk sometimes has some good rock musicians on stage, though I didn't see her performance this year.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:04:46 PM by AchtungPop »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
It hit me like a sledgehammer this year watching the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Sza, Childish Gambino, etc... at the Grammys, rock music and U2 are out in the cold, literally.  So much so that U2 and the producers recognized it and didn't even have them play in the Garden.

It's just sad to me.  I'm kind of glad that U2 played out on a barge though.  It saved us from having to watch, what I am sure would have been, the mediocre response from the crowd to them performing GOOYOW.

I give U2 an A for effort for trying to make themselves relevant by partnering with Kendrick Lamar on his album and SOE, however, the end is here for U2.  Time to hit the greatest hits circuit like the legends who have gone before them.

Sting played in the Garden and got a good response. I'm sure U2 would have done just fine if they had done the same. In fact, both Sting and U2 were each featured 3(or a combined 6 times) different times during the Grammy telecast which is a lot of exposure for just two Rock artist.

Finally, U2 have too big of a worldwide global following to have to be put into a greatest hits circuit. The band will be able to create and produce new music they love and have huge numbers of people by tickets for the tour for it for as long as they engage in making music and touring.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Not discussing politics in a U2 forum is ridiculous.  I get that there was a lot of negativity last year right after the election (a lot for honestly extremely reasonable reasons), but especially considering how political this band has always been and has continued to be, having to not talk about politics makes it impossible to properly talk about the band.  Anyway, U2 seeming out of place at the Grammys is not at all U2's fault.  The Grammys have chosen to completely ignore Rock in the live show (Portugal. The Man, The National, and The War On Drugs all won awards this year, but who would know that?) for several years now so any rock band that plays is going to seem out of place.

When people talk about their personal politics here, it sets s#!t off. We've seen it happen plenty of times, and all it does is lead to venom and bitterness. If you want to talk about how U2's politics affect their art and performances, go for it. No one here will stop you. If you want to talk about how your politics match up/don't match up with U2's politics, and what they're doing wrong/right, or make judgement calls about how they express their politics, that's when things start going downhill. Politics absolutely has a place here, but it's in the context of the art, not in the approval/condemnation/personalization of the art. Analyze the politics, don't internalize the politics. U2 are a political band, and some people like that and some people don't. Some people like their politics and some people are tired of politics in general. None of that stands in the way of talking about how U2's politics affects the band.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:49:59 PM by ian ryan »