Author Topic: U2 performing on a barge and a frustrated fan  (Read 666 times)

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
U2 performing on a barge and a frustrated fan
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
With this latest performance from the Grammys of U2 playing on a barge in the Hudson River, I just think it is time for them to stop trying to "wow" us with the unexpected venue for a performance.

For YTBTAM video they played on top of a tour bus. For Invisible, they played on Top of 30 Rock. For ABOY video, they played on a flat bed truck and in apark by the Brooklyn Bridge. For the Streets video they did a rooftop.  All except for Streets were done in NYC. The best by far was for the Streets video back in the day. Still gives me chills.

I guess I just feel like they are reaching for something to recapture the magic and have people talking about them again, but, it simply isn't there.

I suppose for me it simply comes down to that I am a frustrated fan. I am frustrated with them trying to recapture relevancy for the last three or four albums. ATYCLB was the last true U2 album in my opinion. I am tired of the narrative of them wanting to regain the title of the greatest... blah, blah, blah... I'm tired of them spending years in a studio trying to perfect songs for an album and pulling in multiple producers to do so.

IDK...  it's hard when your favorite band of all time is simply getting old.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
Re: U2 performing on a barge and a frustrated fan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
Gotta give it to the band for trying at least?!

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:16:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
With this latest performance from the Grammys of U2 playing on a barge in the Hudson River, I just think it is time for them to stop trying to "wow" us with the unexpected venue for a performance.

For YTBTAM video they played on top of a tour bus. For Invisible, they played on Top of 30 Rock. For ABOY video, they played on a flat bed truck and in apark by the Brooklyn Bridge. For the Streets video they did a rooftop.  All except for Streets were done in NYC. The best by far was for the Streets video back in the day. Still gives me chills.

I guess I just feel like they are reaching for something to recapture the magic and have people talking about them again, but, it simply isn't there.

I suppose for me it simply comes down to that I am a frustrated fan. I am frustrated with them trying to recapture relevancy for the last three or four albums. ATYCLB was the last true U2 album in my opinion. I am tired of the narrative of them wanting to regain the title of the greatest... blah, blah, blah... I'm tired of them spending years in a studio trying to perfect songs for an album and pulling in multiple producers to do so.

IDK...  it's hard when your favorite band of all time is simply getting old.

You're pi**ed off because they played on a barge and have been creative since 2011.
You basically want an album mix of Zooropa, Passengers, with a hit single like Beautiful Day...

OK....

Offline OptimaX

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • ZOOPOP
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »
It is not an original Idea either (to play on a barge): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Asteroid41

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
As a fan since 83 I am getting old too, and in general this means that I see less and less originality in anything. Even playing on a real trash hill or on Antartica will no longer be original. I think it's just part of getting old. It will be new for younger people. It does not frustrate me at all. All U2 albums have great songs, some albums more than the other.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:40:13 PM by Asteroid41 »

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
I don't care that they perform on a barge as much as I care about these stupid collaborations. What is the point of a collaboration with Kendrick Lamar? It looks like they are trying so hard to be relevant -- which they shouldn't have to, because they are one of the most iconic bands of all time.

Performing in all of these random locations just adds to the "we-want-to-be-relevant" perception, but IMO isn't a big deal.

If they want to play in my apartment, they're more than welcome.