Author Topic: If U2 asked you for advice on the next album, what would you tell them?  (Read 802 times)

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
Re: If U2 asked you for advice on the next album, what would you tell them?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 01:10:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do what you guys want to do - you’ve done ok so far 👍

This

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
I would tell them to listen to Simple Minds new album. Futuristic, exciting and has lots of ‘music’ on it

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
I would tell them to listen to Simple Minds new album. Futuristic, exciting and has lots of ‘music’ on it

You're right, it kicks SOE's ass.

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Stop being U2 lite. U2 used to be a serious band that made serious music.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 07:20:57 AM »
Quit the pop crap. You are pushing 60. Writing/singing lyrics like the following is making people cringe.

"You’re the best thing about me
The best thing that ever happened
A boy"

Experiment again. Quit trying to fit in with the flavor of the month or the sounds or production/producers that are currently hip. Stop being followers.  Achtung Baby and Zooropa  are almost timeless 25 years later, whereas SoI already sounds dated.  You are U f*cking 2! Innovate. Lead.

Quit focusing on America. Be Euro-centric again. It's exotic to us hick Americans.

Bono - quit trying to play Ambassador Hewson and take the time to write some tight lyrics. You get lazy or sloppy and wait 3 years at a pop for God to walk in the room, only to recycle gems like "You and I are rock and roll?" Hire an editor who will hold your lyrical feet to the fire. If I hear one more song with animals or other creatures in it I'll go crazy (moles, intellectual tortoises, cockatoos, monkeys, dinosaurs, etc.)

Edge - Quit playing so uninspired. On SoE you sound like a session guitarist. You still have greatness in you. Look at "The Troubles." Great solo to end the song, could've been up there with the end to "Love is Blindness," but the song cuts out too soon. Experiment with new sounds. Quit with trying to chase Vertigo 2.0 and 3.0, etc. It gets boring.

Larry - Lock the band and producers away for 3 to 6 months in a bunker with no phone or internet - Hire somebody to manage the communications that go in and out of the compound. Allowed: "Bono, a friend is sick and dying. Here's a Facetime session with them." Not Allowed: "Adam, can you remember to bring asparagus home from the store on your way back from the studio?" Maybe Gavin Friday can deliver a weeks worth of newspapers so they can read about the outside world.

Adam - Don't let Edge create your bass parts. Show some initiative. To be fair though, you and Larry aren't really the problem. It's "the other two."

Guy: Hire people who are "No Men" and "No Women" to surround the band so that subpar stuff doesn't get through with the support of all the "Yes Men" and "Yes Women," the sycophants on the payroll.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 05:10:57 AM »
Two words : Andy Barlow.

Offline ultravioletacrobat

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
Stop trying so hard for "hits."  They're meaningless now a days. I hate to say it, for the most part radio will not play new U2.

I would fire anyone who says the word relevant or relevancy around the band. I'm not sure I can get my head around what that means to these guys. Ur effing U2... You have made ur mark on music forever.  Just being U2 you are legends.
Make a great album... If therez some self indulgences then let it be... Of you want to make Mercy a ten minute epic just do it. Stop overthinking...

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
Have fun, don’t give a sh**e about selling records

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
Have another grape.

Yep. More Zooropa, less NLOTH.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 04:09:48 AM »
Agreed on the whole stop-chasing-relevance mentality. Had they done in the 80s what they're doing now, they would just have ended up another novelty act touring with other folks whose popularity never left that decade. They were on top of the world for ages and now that they really don't have to prove themselves, they're acting like they're some brand new act trying to make it big in the music business.

Just go out and have a good time and celebrate your decades of success. Make something that you just want to do for the fun of it. Screw what others think and what current trends are.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
Okay...my advice. Keep in mind that this is a) coming from a lifelong musician, and b) I LOVE the songs on the last 3 albums:

Completely change the way you've been recording these past 2 decades. Songwriting, pre-production and production have become one and the same thing for you guys, and you've taken that methodology about as far as you and it can go.

Start working out and completing the songs and arrangements out BEFORE you ever hit "record." If a song needs more than one guitar, have Bono or Dallas do it, or else hire someone new to do it alongside you. Your song needs keys and guitars simultaneously? Bring Terry in or hire someone to do it. If Edge absolutely HAS to play that keyboard part, then have that 2nd guitarist ready to go. Once you and your hired guns have everything nailed down and are ready to throw up the good mics and hit "record," set a firm time limit and stick to it! The Who recorded Quadrophenia in 7 weeks; Pink Floyd recorded The Wall in under 8 months. At this point, there is no reason you can't do the same. Every one of you is a far better musician than you will ever give yourselves credit for - time to put those skills to use.

...well, there you have it.

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 04:25:08 PM »
Quit the pop crap. You are pushing 60. Writing/singing lyrics like the following is making people cringe.

"You’re the best thing about me
The best thing that ever happened
A boy"

Experiment again. Quit trying to fit in with the flavor of the month or the sounds or production/producers that are currently hip. Stop being followers.  Achtung Baby and Zooropa  are almost timeless 25 years later, whereas SoI already sounds dated.  You are U f*cking 2! Innovate. Lead.

Quit focusing on America. Be Euro-centric again. It's exotic to us hick Americans.

Bono - quit trying to play Ambassador Hewson and take the time to write some tight lyrics. You get lazy or sloppy and wait 3 years at a pop for God to walk in the room, only to recycle gems like "You and I are rock and roll?" Hire an editor who will hold your lyrical feet to the fire. If I hear one more song with animals or other creatures in it I'll go crazy (moles, intellectual tortoises, cockatoos, monkeys, dinosaurs, etc.)

Edge - Quit playing so uninspired. On SoE you sound like a session guitarist. You still have greatness in you. Look at "The Troubles." Great solo to end the song, could've been up there with the end to "Love is Blindness," but the song cuts out too soon. Experiment with new sounds. Quit with trying to chase Vertigo 2.0 and 3.0, etc. It gets boring.

Larry - Lock the band and producers away for 3 to 6 months in a bunker with no phone or internet - Hire somebody to manage the communications that go in and out of the compound. Allowed: "Bono, a friend is sick and dying. Here's a Facetime session with them." Not Allowed: "Adam, can you remember to bring asparagus home from the store on your way back from the studio?" Maybe Gavin Friday can deliver a weeks worth of newspapers so they can read about the outside world.

Adam - Don't let Edge create your bass parts. Show some initiative. To be fair though, you and Larry aren't really the problem. It's "the other two."

Guy: Hire people who are "No Men" and "No Women" to surround the band so that subpar stuff doesn't get through with the support of all the "Yes Men" and "Yes Women," the sycophants on the payroll.

So well said! Here here on "You are U f*cking 2! Innovate. Lead."