Author Topic: £3.50 a minute  (Read 1097 times)

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
£3.50 a minute
« on: February 03, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
For over £440 for a seat in block 112 at the O2 why are people still paying ?

And whilst U2 are obviously maximising profits it does raise the question of whether they ever sit down and question the ethics of this. Maybe they just want wealthy people at their gigs now. Over £200 for a seat in the upper tier too. Hard to see how this is not greed especially when compared to what other artists charge. I

For a 2 hour and a bit concert ...

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: £3.50 a minute
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »
Thats cheap some tixs are selling well over in the hundreds of pounds on 2nd sites right now getting FV tixs these days is a good find when most are paying over £200 for GAs
Ill never forget when ACDC did there Las Vagas show with BJ just before all the problems started there was 2 tixs listed for €20,000 & guess what they sold as well.

We are paying these £200 tix prices so they will continue too sell them

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
You're right to point that out. I've just checked Ticketmaster's site and seats to see the biggest acts of the moment - that is Kendrick Lamar, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Lenny Kravitz and Guns n' Roses - cost at least half as much as seats for U2 here (in France). For instance, Lenny Kravitz is going to perform in June at the same venue as U2 in Paris, and the best seats ("Category 1") are currently for sale at 96 €. Top tier (Category 2) is 79 €. On top of that, there are no Red Zones. It's 75 € standing for everybody. Prices for Kendrick Lamar are about the same. Standing tixs for Franz Ferdinand at Le Zenith are 44 €.

Sure, there are worse things in the world, but it's still bugging me.  ;) You need to win the lottery to be able to see U2 live these days.

How do you feel about it?

And by the way, what are "FV" tixs?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:42:19 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You're right to point that out. I've just checked Ticketmaster's site and seats to see the biggest acts of the moment - that is Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Lenny Kravitz and Guns n' Roses - cost at least half as much as seats for U2 here (in France). For instance, Lenny Kravitz is going to perform in June at the same venue as U2 in Paris, and the best seats ("Category 1") are currently for sale at 96 €. Top tier (Category 2) is 79 €. On top of that, there are no Red Zones. It's 75 € standing for everybody. Standing tixs for Franz Ferdinand at Le Zenith are 44 €.

Sure, there are worse things in the world, but it's still bugging me.  ;) You need to win the lottery to be able to see U2 live these days.

How do you feel about it?

And by the way, what are "FV" tixs?

Face Value.

Lenny Kravitz and Guns n' Roses? Are you seriously comparing their shows to U2? If you're able to do 7-8 shows per arena, then you can probably take the charge down, but U2 can't and they no longer have Paul McGuinness. This is Live Nation world now, not U2. They do as they are told. Remember when Larry Mullen Jnr used to write open letters to fans and the band could control the venue? Them days are long gone. Now that would be relevant.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
Nah as much as I love U2, I certainly can't be paying that much for a ticket, but plenty will I guess and have a great time.  Ed Sheeran tickets are about a 1/3 of that at the moment where I am.   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:45:36 PM by summerholly »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »
Wow! And yet, Ed Sheeran is really big at the moment.
Prices are actually the same as Ed Sheeran's for Harry Styles's and Imagine Dragon's tixs. Imagine Dragon have a Red Zone which costs one fifth of U2's (U2's is 325 € per ticket face value).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:55:36 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
I've just realized that Bruno Mars's tour is also produced by Live Nation (and tickets were half the price of U2's). There are a few Platinum tickets still available for Bruno Mars, and they don't even reach U2's tixs' face value. My guess is it's not just a Live Nation issue.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:25:49 AM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:27:33 AM »
U2 have that legendary status.  I guess in the end it is about the market and perhaps the cost of security for them is extra high, I don't know?.  Their concerts seem to be in high demand, so people must be happy to pay and feel they get value.  I just have a limit above which I have no intention of going and don't feel too strongly about it really although I can sympathise with fans who just cant afford those prices. 

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »
These plat tixs on LN & TM are just a joke like over £350 there are actually tixs cheaper on 2nd sites JOKES JOKES

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
At £440 whilst I love U2 I'd take a return flight from London to NY instead!

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
All very valid points especially on Bruno and Ed. But when you see the number of trucks and staff involved in a U2 production nowadays, that’s a lot of overhead and cost. Yet you can’t help thinking back to a basic stage and 4 lads and the simple band cams above, and no graphics or 8k UHD TV amd we’d still have a fabulous night for possibly a much lower cost. Why do those at the back of the upper tier Dublin 3 Arena pay the same as those in the lower tier front row? 4 nights in the Point in Dublin is still only 52,000 so way less people than a single stadium show.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:00 PM »
Basic supply and demand. Ed sheeran fan average age is probably 21 and with less disposable income. U2 fans average age likely to be 40 plus, with more disposable income.

Doesn't make it right, but there are more f***** up examples of capitalism than this.

The secondary ticket sale sites are the route of this evil but demand drives the market price on the tout sites. Glad Spain is raising enquiries into the recent u2 ticket release that sold out in seconds.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:28:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Basic supply and demand. Ed sheeran fan average age is probably 21 and with less disposable income. U2 fans average age likely to be 40 plus, with more disposable income.

Doesn't make it right, but there are more f***** up examples of capitalism than this.

The secondary ticket sale sites are the route of this evil but demand drives the market price on the tout sites. Glad Spain is raising enquiries into the recent u2 ticket release that sold out in seconds.

I think Ed Sheeran's music appeals to a much wider range than 21 yo!  Even I recognise his music which is more than I can say for most of today's music lol.  I have to say I had much more disposable income when I was in my twenties to spend on traveling, toys and concerts when I had no major financial commitments!