Author Topic: Larry to retire after the e+I tour?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:28 AM »
I have seen a few posts on Facebook from multiple people saying this and it appears to be gathering weight. I donít know the original source but more and more people are talking about it and saying it. I donít know if anyone knows about it on this forum or not but I thought Iíd mention it as itís worrying.

There is no U2 without Larry Mullen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:02:54 PM by singnomore »

Offline opening night

• Stateless
Re: Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have seen a few posts on Facebook from multiple people saying this and it appears to be gathering weight. I donít know the original source ...

That says it all.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
Not long after NLOTH came out, I started a poll called "Wild speculation: Larry's replacement". It might be fun to dig up.   ;)

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »

Looks happy here..

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:06:01 PM »
Also, Bono said in a recent interview that Larry loved the JT tour but, is not sure if he loves some of the songs on SOE so, who is to know

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:42:43 AM »
i call BS. Things that start on facebook tend to be...

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
and I call this a general discussion, don't you?

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
Also, Bono said in a recent interview that Larry loved the JT tour but, is not sure if he loves some of the songs on SOE so, who is to know
Larry (and I guess also Adam and even to a lesser extent Edge) is probably not so happy with the way Bono chases commercial succes, working with pop producers.
But I do not think that he is tired of music or drumming, otherwise he would have recorded with Alice Cooper.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
Drumming is a pretty physical occupation and Larry has had issues so I guess there will come a time where he has had enough.  Who knows when that will be.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:45:47 AM »
Replace LMJ with the guy I heard at a guitar center in LA doing SBS drums...has a heavy metal look but so what?

jk

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »
Replace LMJ with the guy I heard at a guitar center in LA doing SBS drums...has a heavy metal look but so what?

jk

If, by some tiny chance, this rumor becomes reality, the guy they need to steal is Eloy Casagrande from Sepultura. Dude's like 26 or 27 years old, and he won Guitar Center's Best Drummer Under 18 in Brazil when he was 14 years old. Here he is in his pre-Sepultura days; think he was 20 at the time of filming:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
If if if this is true then U2 should close up shop. The band has been so tightly identified with the same four members for decades that losing Larry Mullen, the founder of the band no less, would be enough to call it a career for the entire band.  The last thing I want to see is for the band to usher in a younger drummer just to fill a void.  U2 minus Larry Mullen is not really U2 to me.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »
If if if this is true then U2 should close up shop.
Agreed...  He's every bit as much of their sound as the other three...  Not saying that they couldn't make good music without him, but it simply wouldn't be U2...  It'd be time for the others to explore solo projects if this is true...  U2 without Larry Mullen Jr. is The Beatles without Ringo, he's THAT integral to their sound...  Not putting a whole lotta stock into this anyway...  Still a Proud spacebook virgin...:-)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
When the time comes that anyone in U2 wants to step away, the band needs to retire.  That's all there is to it.  Other bands can keep going in a piecemeal fashion.  Not this one.  That's part of what makes them who they are.  If they kept going without one of the four, I'd lose a tremendous amount of respect for them.

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing what each band member would do solo.  I always imagine Bono doing a loungey duets album.  Or The Edge making a crazy experimental album of strange sounds.  Or Adam and Larry coming together to do something sorta EDM like "Mission Impossible," or simply collaborate with other musicians.   

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Larry Mullen has actually stated that U2 could continue without Bono and sited AC/DC as an example. The Edge has also stated that the band would go one if one member left the group. Bono and Adam have not to my knowledge given an opinion on the topic.