Author Topic: Larry to retire after the e+I tour?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline ross_ander

• Babyface
Re: Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
If this was to happen.. I certainly would not be surprised. His disinterest in promoting the new album, Bono's comments about him disliking the album, etc.  In some cases he actually looks quite unhappy. Some people dismiss this on this forum (and on the atu2 podcast) as him just being grumpy as usual. I'm not so convinced. Retirement would be an understandable decision to focus on what is important in his life and moving on from something he is no longer artistically and emotionally connected with.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If this was to happen.. I certainly would not be surprised. His disinterest in promoting the new album, Bono's comments about him disliking the album, etc.  In some cases he actually looks quite unhappy. Some people dismiss this on this forum (and on the atu2 podcast) as him just being grumpy as usual. I'm not so convinced. Retirement would be an understandable decision to focus on what is important in his life and moving on from something he is no longer artistically and emotionally connected with.

Do you have a source for Bono saying that Larry disliked the new album?

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
I don’t put much stock in this rumor. I wonder if it might be connected to the dreadful book I just read, U2: the Definitive Biography. Definitive B.S. is what it was, full of factual errors, malicious innuendo, and Bono-bashing. One of things it said was that Larry was going to retire after 2 more albums. No source cited (as was often the case). The book came out in 2014 but prior to SOI so maybe somebody thinks it is now 2 albums later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:24:03 PM by Luzita »

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 02:24:36 AM »

Do you have a source for Bono saying that Larry disliked the new album?

Dave Fanning interview.

Bono says that Larry loved the JT tour but, is not sure if he loves the album

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
We also need to take into account LMJ's back issue, he is not getting any younger.

If he does decide to call it quits then we have to respect him.

in hindsight musically U2 are going nowhere their last 5 albums have been commercial flops

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
We also need to take into account LMJ's back issue, he is not getting any younger.

in hindsight musically U2 are going nowhere their last 5 albums have been commercial flops

Commercial flops?

I see trolls even make it onto forums these days...

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »

That is nowhere close to true. ATYCLB and HTDAAB were big commercial successes, much bigger than Pop or Zooropa. NLOTH did okay, esp. considering it was released at a time when overall record sales were dropping. SOI can’t be compared to other albums due to its unconventional release. And SOE has already sold over a million albums globally, which in the current environment is pretty decent.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
Noel Gallagher was interviewed recently. He said what he learned from U2 recently are the following:

Bono is the funniest guy ever
The Edge, when you look into his eyes, you can see his brain working overtime.
And, most importantly, Larry Mullen is the boss of the band.

Now, I don't know U2 personally but, if that's the case and this speculative rumour is true, then it's all over...

However, I tend to be cautious about believing this for many reasons.

The Edge recently said he would never want to do anything as a solo artist and needs the band.
Bono agreed.
Bono has said Larry loved the JT tour.
Larry, when asked in a recent interview, (think it was an Australian interview) said it was still fun and that it's important to have fun when doing this.
Bono also said he wasn't sure if Larry likes the song, The Showman....

That last line is important...If he was going to retire and wanted out, it would be a case of, "Yeah, whatever. Let's just get on with it and finish this"

Also, playing music, writing music, recording music...It's like a drug! The most addictive drug imaginable. You can't stop it! Even when bands break up, for personal reasons, those individuals just don't stop playing music. You can't help yourself!

My personal belief, I think they will slow down after this tour but, I don't think they'll ever finish completely. They can't, it's too addictive :D

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
I agree that if Larry quits then U2 is over, it just isn’t U2 without all four of them. But they’d continue to make music as individuals.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:02:01 PM by Luzita »

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 03:55:15 PM »
Maybe they should let Larry choose the setlist and play what makes him happy instead After all he is the boss.Until we hear an official announcement from the band it's hear say.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
The source of the rumor is apparently this site:

It has a note saying “This story appears to be false.” If you click on it you discover the site is a “satire” site. Not surprised this is B.S.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »

All That You Can't Leave Behind: sold over 12 million copies worldwide, one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: sold over 10 million copies worldwide,one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

No Line On The Horizon: 7th biggest selling album of 2009 worldwide

Songs Of Innocence: released for free, but none of the songs do well on radio or streaming so this might be considered a flop

Songs Of Experience: Ok album sales for 2017/2018, but none of songs do well on radio or streaming. Maybe a flop, but debatable.

So, to sum up the last five albums include two of the most successful of U2's career. Another that was indeed successful at least for the year it was released, and only the last two that could be argued as flops.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 12:14:52 AM »

All That You Can't Leave Behind: sold over 12 million copies worldwide, one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: sold over 10 million copies worldwide,one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

Songs Of Innocence: released for free, but none of the songs do well on radio or streaming so this might be considered a flop

Songs Of Experience: Ok album sales for 2017/2018, but none of songs do well on radio or streaming. Maybe a flop, but debatable.

So, to sum up the last five albums include two of the most successful of U2's career. Another that was indeed successful at least for the year it was released, and only the last two that could be argued as flops.

None of the songs do well on the radio or streaming?!

So, The Best Thing and GOOYOW are not on the radio anytime I turn it on and they don't have near 20 million and 10 million streams on Spotify?

Right OK, my radio must come from a parallel universe and Spotify is lying to me.

Damn you Spotify!!

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
So depressive. A reason for me to be depressed in my non-real life.

This is like post 360 tour when Bono was bleating on about "why would anyone want another U2 album". Thought in mid-2011 I would read the band had split.

But the soi finally came out 3 years later🤣

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »

None of the songs do well on the radio or streaming?!

So, The Best Thing and GOOYOW are not on the radio anytime I turn it on and they don't have near 20 million and 10 million streams on Spotify?

Right OK, my radio must come from a parallel universe and Spotify is lying to me.

Damn you Spotify!!

None of the songs from Songs Of Innocence or Songs Of Experience have cracked the US HOT 100 chart. The last time that happened was when U2 released October. The HOT 100 counts single sales, radio airplay, and streaming in order to determine its chart positions.

When you look at streaming, "Your The Best Thing About Me" only has 10 million streams on youtube. Most hit songs will have between 100 million and 500 million streams. Youtube is a worldwide indicator while the US HOT 100 is obviously only in the United States.