Author Topic: Larry to retire after the e+I tour?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
Re: Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »
Right. Where I am (in Europe), the album seems to do rather well. U2 songs are broadcast daily by several radios. Last time I looked at the charts (about two weeks ago), Songs of experience was at number 5 (international rock / pop releases), and it was voted best rock album of 2017 by Virgin Radio staff. Granted, not all the singles from Songs of innocence did get a lot of airplay. However, Every breaking Wave was a radio favourite.

Really hope Larry won't leave the band. It would be terrible news.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:48:39 AM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
Where I live I have never heard a SOE song on the radio ever. 

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 06:44:26 PM »

I was at the gym Tuesday (Golds Gym) and The Blackout video was playing on the monitors.    Best Thing was playing today.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:46:50 PM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline HudsonMoon

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
GOOYOW plays on wfuv.org public radio in nyc quite often.

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
We also need to take into account LMJ's back issue, he is not getting any younger.

If he does decide to call it quits then we have to respect him.

in hindsight musically U2 are going nowhere their last 5 albums have been commercial flops

All That You Can't Leave Behind: sold over 12 million copies worldwide, one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: sold over 10 million copies worldwide,one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

No Line On The Horizon: 7th biggest selling album of 2009 worldwide

Songs Of Innocence: released for free, but none of the songs do well on radio or streaming so this might be considered a flop

Songs Of Experience: Ok album sales for 2017/2018, but none of songs do well on radio or streaming. Maybe a flop, but debatable.

So, to sum up the last five albums include two of the most successful of U2's career. Another that was indeed successful at least for the year it was released, and only the last two that could be argued as flops.

None of the songs do well on the radio or streaming?!

So, The Best Thing and GOOYOW are not on the radio anytime I turn it on and they don't have near 20 million and 10 million streams on Spotify?

Right OK, my radio must come from a parallel universe and Spotify is lying to me.

Damn you Spotify!!

None of the songs from Songs Of Innocence or Songs Of Experience have cracked the US HOT 100 chart. The last time that happened was when U2 released October. The HOT 100 counts single sales, radio airplay, and streaming in order to determine its chart positions.

When you look at streaming, "Your The Best Thing About Me" only has 10 million streams on youtube. Most hit songs will have between 100 million and 500 million streams. Youtube is a worldwide indicator while the US HOT 100 is obviously only in the United States.

Based on album sales, which is the most important measure, SOE and SOI are definitely not flops. As I noted before, SOE has already sold over a million copies in the short time since release, and even SOI sold over a million despite being given away for free to half a billion iTunes users.

Youíre right these albums didnít have hit singles in the U.S. or U.K, and that is something different for U2, but it has to be put in perspective. Only a handful of rock acts get to the top of the singles charts anymore, because rock is no longer the dominant musical genre.

Also, as blue squirrel pointed out, U2ís singles still do pretty well in some parts of the world. Thereís a chart called the Euro 200 that uses the same measures as the Billboard Hot 100 but itís for the entire EU. YTBTAM reached #24 on that chart.

And in the U.S., the Hot 100 doesnít tell the whole story. There are many different charts, which correspond to different radio formats. YTBTAM did quite well on some of these, like top 15 on Hot Adult Contemporary, Top 5 on Hot Rock, and #1 on Adult Alternative. And it hung around on these charts for months. That means though it didnít get as much radio play as if it had charted in the Top 40 format, it still got a good bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »
Hit songs have between 100 million and 500 million hits on YouTube?!

OK then.. Does this mean you expect U2 to make more music with Eno and Lanois like Passengers and Pop but, be commercial enough to be like Ed Sheeran, to get those streaming numbers for today's generation?!

Nonsense. Utter nonsense. Cuckoo land pal

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 05:31:25 AM »
Same here.  All the radio stations ever play is 80's U2, and MW and One from the 90's and BD from the 00's.

It's funny U2 spend soo much time and delaying and delaying albums so they can come up with songs with good melody hooks that they think will get played on the radio, but they never do.

When will they take the hint that radio never will any more and start taking risks again.

I'm not saying that SOE is a bad album but it just doesn't blow your mind and have that WOW factor like U2's 90's work, the last time most of us felt like that.  It' just an OK album.

I actually think Quincy Jones was right when asked if U2 are making great songs anymore, in which he shook his head.
I think U2 are making goods song but not great and good albums but not great anymore.  Occasionally they will have one or two great songs on album but it is few and far between.  The last great epic U2 song, in my book that U2 has made was Moment Of Surrender.

Well there is always hope for the next album that they will try to experiment and take risks in the recording process and not just try to focus on getting hit songs for the radio, which seems to be an obsession.

Getting back to the thread, maybe that is what Larry is feeling, that U2 are just making Ok albums now and not great and may want to retire?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:36:53 AM by boom boom »

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 06:37:35 AM »
Same here.  All the radio stations ever play is 80's U2, and MW and One from the 90's and BD from the 00's.

It's funny U2 spend soo much time and delaying and delaying albums so they can come up with songs with good melody hooks that they think will get played on the radio, but they never do.

When will they take the hint that radio never will any more and start taking risks again.

I'm not saying that SOE is a bad album but it just doesn't blow your mind and have that WOW factor like U2's 90's work, the last time most of us felt like that.  It' just an OK album.

I actually think Quincy Jones was right when asked if U2 are making great songs anymore, in which he shook his head.
I think U2 are making goods song but not great and good albums but not great anymore.  Occasionally they will have one or two great songs on album but it is few and far between.  The last great epic U2 song, in my book that U2 has made was Moment Of Surrender.

Well there is always hope for the next album that they will try to experiment and take risks in the recording process and not just try to focus on getting hit songs for the radio, which seems to be an obsession.

Getting back to the thread, maybe that is what Larry is feeling, that U2 are just making Ok albums now and not great and may want to retire?

The rumor about Larry is false. See my previous post. It came from a ďsatireĒ site.

And itís fine that you like their 90s work the best but you shouldnít try to speak for ďmost of us.Ē Many people even on this forum donít feel that way. And going by sales, although Achtung Baby was more popular than their 2000s work that is not true for their other 90s albums. And nothing is more popular than Joshua Tree.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:44 AM »

This applies for where I live in Western Canada as well...  U2 doesn't turn up at all on Top 40 Radio while the older hits still show up on the Classic Rock station...  When I say "Radio", I mean FM on the dial...  I don't stream radio at all...:-)

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
Should live in Europe so

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 10:57:58 AM »
Possibly, lol !

Songs of Experience has just passed the 100k mark and become Gold in the UK today.
And the website Charts in France claims that it is already Gold in Spain and even Platinum in France.
Moreover, today was the general sale day for the fourth U2 concert in Paris. Nearly all seats were sold out in 10 minutes.... they could add a fifth date, it would be welcome.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:05:59 AM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »

I was at the gym Tuesday (Golds Gym) and The Blackout video was playing on the monitors.    Best Thing was playing today.

They played the remix version of the Best Thing at my gym. But in general these our tough times for U2 in getting their new music on the radio or noticed on other formats.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
We also need to take into account LMJ's back issue, he is not getting any younger.

in hindsight musically U2 are going nowhere their last 5 albums have been commercial flops

All That You Can't Leave Behind: sold over 12 million copies worldwide, one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: sold over 10 million copies worldwide,one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s

Songs Of Innocence: released for free, but none of the songs do well on radio or streaming so this might be considered a flop

Songs Of Experience: Ok album sales for 2017/2018, but none of songs do well on radio or streaming. Maybe a flop, but debatable.

So, to sum up the last five albums include two of the most successful of U2's career. Another that was indeed successful at least for the year it was released, and only the last two that could be argued as flops.

So, The Best Thing and GOOYOW are not on the radio anytime I turn it on and they don't have near 20 million and 10 million streams on Spotify?

Right OK, my radio must come from a parallel universe and Spotify is lying to me.

Damn you Spotify!!

None of the songs from Songs Of Innocence or Songs Of Experience have cracked the US HOT 100 chart. The last time that happened was when U2 released October. The HOT 100 counts single sales, radio airplay, and streaming in order to determine its chart positions.

When you look at streaming, "Your The Best Thing About Me" only has 10 million streams on youtube. Most hit songs will have between 100 million and 500 million streams. Youtube is a worldwide indicator while the US HOT 100 is obviously only in the United States.

Based on album sales, which is the most important measure, SOE and SOI are definitely not flops. As I noted before, SOE has already sold over a million copies in the short time since release, and even SOI sold over a million despite being given away for free to half a billion iTunes users.

Youíre right these albums didnít have hit singles in the U.S. or U.K, and that is something different for U2, but it has to be put in perspective. Only a handful of rock acts get to the top of the singles charts anymore, because rock is no longer the dominant musical genre.

Also, as blue squirrel pointed out, U2ís singles still do pretty well in some parts of the world. Thereís a chart called the Euro 200 that uses the same measures as the Billboard Hot 100 but itís for the entire EU. YTBTAM reached #24 on that chart.

And in the U.S., the Hot 100 doesnít tell the whole story. There are many different charts, which correspond to different radio formats. YTBTAM did quite well on some of these, like top 15 on Hot Adult Contemporary, Top 5 on Hot Rock, and #1 on Adult Alternative. And it hung around on these charts for months. That means though it didnít get as much radio play as if it had charted in the Top 40 format, it still got a good bit.

Those other charts in the United States are used to help compile chart positions on the HOT 100. Adult Contemporary, HOT Rock, and Adult Alternative are all used along with dozens of other formats to help determine chart positions on the HOT 100.

In a very narrow sense you may be able to judge the Albums Songs of Innocence and Songs Of Experience as not being flops. But most people stream new music these days and these stream individual songs, not albums. They purchase individual digital tracks, but that is actually declining now.

It used to be up until the start of this decade, that to know whether your new music was doing well, you looked at how the album with the new music is selling. I'd say in 2018, that is only 20% of the equation when it used to be nearly 100% back in 2000.

To see if your new music is doing well now, you look at streaming, probably 60%, then individual digital track sales another 20%, and then finally album sales both physical and digital making up the remaining 20%.

U2 still does ok with album sales compared with everyone else, but their streaming numbers and individual digital track sales are poor. So when I say that the albums SOI and SOE have flopped, what I'm really saying is that the music on them has flopped.

Sadly, albums are starting to become something special that only hardcore fans purchase and that goes for probably 95% of artist. There are a few exceptions, but only handful.

U2 are album artist, probably the greatest album artist of all time, but sadly the music environment has moved and continues to move away from the album format, physical or digital. Most people are just streaming SONGS they like on youtube or paying the $10 dollar monthly fee to have unlimited streaming on spotify.

For example a good run down for popular new music might be Imagine Dragons.

Their album, Evolve, sold 400,000 copies in the United States, one of the 20 biggest sellers in the USA of the year.

More important though is the two hit singles from the album Evolve:
Believer: has sold over 1 million digital copies in the United States
Thunder: has sold over 1 million digital copies in the United States
Both songs made it to #4 on the HOT 100.

On Youtube:
Thunder: 532 million streams
Believer: 446 million streams

By Comparison, Songs Of Experience has around 280,000 copies sold in the United States at this point.
You're The Best Thing About Me as a single has not sold very much, probably less than 100,000 digital singles in the USA. Failed to chart on the HOT 100, and the highest position in other countries was #24 in France. In most it did not crack the top 50.
Get Out of Your Own Way is doing worse

Youtube:
You're The Best Thing About Me: about 16 million streams on youtube.
Get Out of Your Own Way has 1.2 million streams.

The big problem is that have good album sales is not enough. Good album sales today might be 400,000 in the USA and 1.5 million worldwide. That's good, but if that is all there is in terms of what people have obtained of the new music, then that is not good for the new music. It suggest that the new music only reached dedicated fans that have been following the band for years or decades.

I should note though that these days popularity is getting harder to measure. So a lot of this is estimated because it really is a new world were in when it comes to music and how people listen to it and what they prefer. Sadly though, the album is viewed as a dying format and no longer the gauge of popularity that it used to be.

I'm an album lover though, and believe the best artist are the ones that produce albums that are great from the first song to the last song as opposed to just two or three and having the rest as filler. But as you know, what is best is not always what is popular.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
It is interesting.  I am not really into their new music in that I don't buy it but they are still one of the few bands in the world for whom I would make the considerable effort needed for me to get to a concert if they ever came here.  As long as the ticket prices were not too exorbitant. 

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Larry to retire after the e+I tour?
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »

Damn you Spotify!!

Those other charts in the United States are used to help compile chart positions on the HOT 100. Adult Contemporary, HOT Rock, and Adult Alternative are all used along with dozens of other formats to help determine chart positions on the HOT 100.

In a very narrow sense you may be able to judge the Albums Songs of Innocence and Songs Of Experience as not being flops. But most people stream new music these days and these stream individual songs, not albums. They purchase individual digital tracks, but that is actually declining now.

It used to be up until the start of this decade, that to know whether your new music was doing well, you looked at how the album with the new music is selling. I'd say in 2018, that is only 20% of the equation when it used to be nearly 100% back in 2000.

To see if your new music is doing well now, you look at streaming, probably 60%, then individual digital track sales another 20%, and then finally album sales both physical and digital making up the remaining 20%.

U2 still does ok with album sales compared with everyone else, but their streaming numbers and individual digital track sales are poor. So when I say that the albums SOI and SOE have flopped, what I'm really saying is that the music on them has flopped.

Sadly, albums are starting to become something special that only hardcore fans purchase and that goes for probably 95% of artist. There are a few exceptions, but only handful.

U2 are album artist, probably the greatest album artist of all time, but sadly the music environment has moved and continues to move away from the album format, physical or digital. Most people are just streaming SONGS they like on youtube or paying the $10 dollar monthly fee to have unlimited streaming on spotify.

For example a good run down for popular new music might be Imagine Dragons.

Their album, Evolve, sold 400,000 copies in the United States, one of the 20 biggest sellers in the USA of the year.

More important though is the two hit singles from the album Evolve:
Believer: has sold over 1 million digital copies in the United States
Thunder: has sold over 1 million digital copies in the United States
Both songs made it to #4 on the HOT 100.

On Youtube:
Thunder: 532 million streams
Believer: 446 million streams

By Comparison, Songs Of Experience has around 280,000 copies sold in the United States at this point.
You're The Best Thing About Me as a single has not sold very much, probably less than 100,000 digital singles in the USA. Failed to chart on the HOT 100, and the highest position in other countries was #24 in France. In most it did not crack the top 50.
Get Out of Your Own Way is doing worse

Youtube:
You're The Best Thing About Me: about 16 million streams on youtube.
Get Out of Your Own Way has 1.2 million streams.

The big problem is that have good album sales is not enough. Good album sales today might be 400,000 in the USA and 1.5 million worldwide. That's good, but if that is all there is in terms of what people have obtained of the new music, then that is not good for the new music. It suggest that the new music only reached dedicated fans that have been following the band for years or decades.

I should note though that these days popularity is getting harder to measure. So a lot of this is estimated because it really is a new world were in when it comes to music and how people listen to it and what they prefer. Sadly though, the album is viewed as a dying format and no longer the gauge of popularity that it used to be.

I'm an album lover though, and believe the best artist are the ones that produce albums that are great from the first song to the last song as opposed to just two or three and having the rest as filler. But as you know, what is best is not always what is popular.

You make some good points. And you seem to have some good data; thanks for that. Itís true album sales would be mostly due to established fans, whereas streaming would be a better indicator of whether the music is reaching new people, esp. younger people. I know U2 would like to expand their fanbase.

On the other hand, in terms of getting paid for your music, how much does streaming do for an artist? Iíve heard they get very little for it. Maybe you understand this better as you seem to know a lot about the music business. I mean, even though it takes a lot of streams to be considered equivalent to an album sale, is it really equivalent in terms of financial compensation to the artist? Iíve wondered where the money would come from for free streaming. I guess from advertising.

Also, when speaking of album sales, it gets a bit confusing because streaming and digital singles are now bundled into the album sales figure. So in the case of Imagine Dragons, wouldnít a lot of that 400,000 be due to something other than actual album sales?

Imagine Dragons is a good example of a ďrockĒ artist that still does well in terms of singles sales, but there arenít many. As I mentioned before, I think the decline in popularity of rock as a genre is a barrier to U2 getting their music noticed by the general public especially young people.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:26:56 PM by Luzita »