Author Topic: Quincy Jones thinks U2 under too much pressure.  (Read 4235 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
Quincy Jones thinks U2 under too much pressure.
« on: February 07, 2018, 11:47:37 PM »
A great interview with him here. Recommend

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

On U2...

When I go to Dublin, Bono makes me stay at his castle because Ireland is so racist. Bonos my brother, man. He named his son after me.

Is U2 still making good music?
[Shakes head.]

Why not?
I dont know. I love Bono with all my heart, but theres too much pressure on the band. Hes doing good work all over the world.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
Re: Quincy Jones thinks U2 under too much pressure.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:03:54 AM »
A great interview with him here. Recommend

On U2...

When I go to Dublin, Bono makes me stay at his castle because Ireland is so racist. Bonos my brother, man. He named his son after me.

Is U2 still making good music?
[Shakes head.]

Why not?
I dont know. I love Bono with all my heart, but theres too much pressure on the band. Hes doing good work all over the world.

Uh...pass.

There's more than one comment in Q's answers that should have been fact-checked and/or edited.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:20:23 AM »
Considering how scathing some of the comments were about other musicians and the state of music in general, i think the U2 comments come off as pretty positive.

Offline paganini12345

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:51:15 AM »
Was interesting until he said "Jazz was top of the musical hierarchy".
I love jazz but think it's dangerous to about hierarchies.  But if he means in terms of musical technique I would have said classical musicians were generally at the high end. You can get away with being lazy and making mistakes in Jazz but not classical. Some of the repertoire can only be played after years of perfecting technique and having great musicianship.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »
Pressure makes diamonds Q.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »
I highly respect Quincy Jones and what hes done for the history of music .  I really do.  His discography speaks for itself. 

But after reading parts of the interview, all the way from his talk about the Beatles, to Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor (crazy visual!) to who freaking killed JFK  The man may have went a bit batshit crazy.   

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
so much for WAITING FOR GOD TO ENTER THE ROOM quote

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »
A good and interesting read, but as others have said he comes across as a bit nuts in his old age. Ultra self-congratulatory with name-dropping and fanciful tales. 

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
I highly respect Quincy Jones and what hes done for the history of music .  I really do.  His discography speaks for itself. 

But after reading parts of the interview, all the way from his talk about the Beatles, to Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor (crazy visual!) to who freaking killed JFK  The man may have went a bit batshit crazy.   

Except the Pryor thing was confirmed by his wife today.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »
I highly respect Quincy Jones and what he’s done for the history of music .  I really do.  His discography speaks for itself. 

But after reading parts of the interview, all the way from his talk about the Beatles, to Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor (crazy visual!) to who freaking killed JFK…  The man may have went a bit batshit crazy.   

Except the Pryor thing was confirmed by his wife today.

Saw that.  Bad visuals.  Cocaine is a helluva drug.  And he's right -- the Beatles may have not been the best instrumentalists, but they wrote great tunes.  Like another band, I know...  But JFK?  And are the Irish that racist?  Maybe he's on something, or on to something?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:28 PM »
The Beatles were probably pretending. Q would be too idiotic to understand that.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »
I don't see any hard in what Quincy said. His opinion is worthy being the legend he his. He's experienced plenty in life. He said the band essentially put themselves under too much pressure. I would agree with that.

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
i was thinking about this on the way back from work and i'd have to agree. Since rattle and hum, they've had at least four years off between album and tour campaigns. You'd have thought after the I/E tour, it 'll be at least 3 years before u2 resurfaced. Instead since 2014, we've had two albums and three tours. All in the space of four years. An unusual level of activity from the band. Yes they have made enough money to do what the hell they want but I suspect its the change of management that has resulted in U2 being overexposed or as Mr Jones puts it, placed under too much pressure. given the band are pushing 60, this level of activity must be a strain for them. I don't think the band has been this productive since the 80's.

the new management are effectively milking their cash cow...before the cow becomes too old to be milked. Given the million of dollars their tours have grossed over the years, u2 have become the victims of their own success. I suppose the band go along with this to sustain their lifestyles but the expectation on them to produce critically acclaimed music such as the Joshua tree or achtung baby at this stage in their lives is just plain unrealistic..

that said, I could listen to JT and AB forever....and be satisfied....

Offline paganini12345

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
I don't see any hard in what Quincy said. His opinion is worthy being the legend he his. He's experienced plenty in life. He said the band essentially put themselves under too much pressure. I would agree with that.

Do you really think those than really run the country are going to tell a music producer who killed Kennedy? lol

Offline paganini12345

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
i was thinking about this on the way back from work and i'd have to agree. Since rattle and hum, they've had at least four years off between album and tour campaigns. You'd have thought after the I/E tour, it 'll be at least 3 years before u2 resurfaced. Instead since 2014, we've had two albums and three tours. All in the space of four years. An unusual level of activity from the band. Yes they have made enough money to do what the hell they want but I suspect its the change of management that has resulted in U2 being overexposed or as Mr Jones puts it, placed under too much pressure. given the band are pushing 60, this level of activity must be a strain for them. I don't think the band has been this productive since the 80's.

the new management are effectively milking their cash cow...before the cow becomes too old to be milked. Given the million of dollars their tours have grossed over the years, u2 have become the victims of their own success. I suppose the band go along with this to sustain their lifestyles but the expectation on them to produce critically acclaimed music such as the Joshua tree or achtung baby at this stage in their lives is just plain unrealistic..

that said, I could listen to JT and AB forever....and be satisfied....

I keep coming back to a phase Bono used during the Zoo TV years (and that was an  expensive tour to put on): bite the hand that feeds. I guess they are now licking the hand that feeds now.