Author Topic: Quincy Jones thinks U2 under too much pressure.  (Read 3651 times)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
Re: Quincy Jones thinks U2 under too much pressure.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 05:45:39 AM »
yes but they don't need to resort to scraping the barrel. They have made a ton of money over the course of their career meaning they could shut up shop and live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Yes I guess its the love of what they do but the love of money is the reason why they keep going...Imagine with all the money they've made they could invest in a hell of an annuity that most of us can only dream of...without having to play a gig, do an interview, record an album ever again...Commerce exceeds art....and the lines are blurred now...

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Paul McGuiness left at the perfect time..............

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
U2 really don't have to do anything they don't want to.  Perhaps they are just addicted to being the best band, the band that can still make new music in to late middle age.  They always seemed very goal oriented.  Perhaps the thought of not touring and playing to large crowds just scares them, fading into old age.  I know a few of my own high flying older colleagues who retired and went crazy and drove their families crazy, so they are back out again consulting and pushing themselves even in their seventies.   

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
but I guess its the blatant pimping out by their record company that Quincy is referring to...I don't think the rolling stones were as productive in their late 50's as u2 are.....that said I did see Paul Mcguiness walking the floor of twickehnham stadium last summer...perhaps he has been kept on a consultative basis....

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i was thinking about this on the way back from work and i'd have to agree. Since rattle and hum, they've had at least four years off between album and tour campaigns. You'd have thought after the I/E tour, it 'll be at least 3 years before u2 resurfaced. Instead since 2014, we've had two albums and three tours. All in the space of four years. An unusual level of activity from the band. Yes they have made enough money to do what the hell they want but I suspect its the change of management that has resulted in U2 being overexposed or as Mr Jones puts it, placed under too much pressure. given the band are pushing 60, this level of activity must be a strain for them. I don't think the band has been this productive since the 80's.

the new management are effectively milking their cash cow...before the cow becomes too old to be milked. Given the million of dollars their tours have grossed over the years, u2 have become the victims of their own success. I suppose the band go along with this to sustain their lifestyles but the expectation on them to produce critically acclaimed music such as the Joshua tree or achtung baby at this stage in their lives is just plain unrealistic..

that said, I could listen to JT and AB forever....and be satisfied....

60 is not old and they are not there yet. Ageism is alive and well in your post. Making and playing music is something an individual can do for their entire life. This is not a professional contact sport like American football.

BB King traveled and played a 100 shows every year until the last year of his life. He passed away just 4 months shy of age 90.

The band do this because they enjoy making music and playing together. Its what they know and what they have done since High School. They are best friends, family. Music is like breathing to them. This not a job, or going to an office to work for someone else. This is a love and a passion that is in them. This is not work in the sense that most people think of work, this is their fun, what they enjoy in life.

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
you're looking at this from a purely art perspective which I respect. However I am looking at the commercial reality. If their music is a love and passion to them, why don't they distribute it through their own record label and let the music die or thrive by its own merits ? Just because an artist sells a million records doesn't mean they're necessarily good. What defines good music anyway ? Isn't all music subjective ?  Could it be they love the reach of the big labels and their distribution power worldwide ?. I think it's a balance of artistic and commercial realities at play here...

Worst thing I would want them to see is to see them pimped out by their record label in 10 years time. They should appear sporadically like the stones did and come up with the odd gem like doom and gloom every now and again.....

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
you're looking at this from a purely art perspective which I respect. However I am looking at the commercial reality. If their music is a love and passion to them, why don't they distribute it through their own record label and let the music die or thrive by its own merits ? Just because an artist sells a million records doesn't mean they're necessarily good. What defines good music anyway ? Isn't all music subjective ?  Could it be they love the reach of the big labels and their distribution power worldwide ?. I think it's a balance of artistic and commercial realities at play here...

Worst thing I would want them to see is to see them pimped out by their record label in 10 years time. They should appear sporadically like the stones did and come up with the odd gem like doom and gloom every now and again.....

In 2018, record companies don't have very much control anymore. Most people get their music through file sharing, streaming, other free methods, or digital track downloads. Plus, I think U2 owns a good chunk of their own record company and have for decades now.

Record companies were vital when they were distributing Billions of physical albums all around the world back in the year 2000.

U2 colectively are worth 1.5 billion dollars and have not felt commercial pressure in years. They do what they want, and the touring company and record company supports them in whatever way they can.

Getting their NEW songs played on the radio again in heavy rotation is difficult and perhaps unheard of for people over 60. But its not impossible and the band love challenges. They will produce their music which they love doing and play live which the love doing, and if the new songs succeed, awesome, if not they still had fun during the whole process. Its a win/win situation for them.

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
The last time U2 was under pressure Achtung Baby was the result.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »
i was thinking about this on the way back from work and i'd have to agree. Since rattle and hum, they've had at least four years off between album and tour campaigns. You'd have thought after the I/E tour, it 'll be at least 3 years before u2 resurfaced. Instead since 2014, we've had two albums and three tours. All in the space of four years. An unusual level of activity from the band. Yes they have made enough money to do what the hell they want but I suspect its the change of management that has resulted in U2 being overexposed or as Mr Jones puts it, placed under too much pressure. given the band are pushing 60, this level of activity must be a strain for them. I don't think the band has been this productive since the 80's.

the new management are effectively milking their cash cow...before the cow becomes too old to be milked. Given the million of dollars their tours have grossed over the years, u2 have become the victims of their own success. I suppose the band go along with this to sustain their lifestyles but the expectation on them to produce critically acclaimed music such as the Joshua tree or achtung baby at this stage in their lives is just plain unrealistic..

that said, I could listen to JT and AB forever....and be satisfied....

Indeed. I really only go back to a few albums now: The Unforgettable Fire, TUF, AB, Zooropa...Passengers...A couple of tunes off of Pop (e.g. Gone) NLOTH (e.g. Magnificent, Breathe, White As Snow) and SOI (e.g.The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave)...But TUF, TJT, AB represent a masterful trilogy that's eternal for me.

What Bowie did with Blackstar was nothing short of outstanding. Given Bono's brush with mortality, I wonder if he simply ignored it as a source of inspiration in that "I'm ready for the laughing gas" sort of way that the band's latter catalogue seems to reflect?

A little melancholy would go a long way.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Quincy Jones thinks U2 under too much pressure.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
The last time U2 was under pressure Achtung Baby was the result.

No, the last time U2 was under pressure, SOE was the result. I think the whole iTunes backlash is something they experienced as pressure. And the last time before that, ATYCLB was the result. In all these cases, the pressure wasn’t financial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:58:07 AM by Luzita »

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
U2 always seem to create their own pressure.  It wouldn't be a U2 album or tour without some kind of self-made pressure.  Pressure to still be relevant and the biggest band in the world, I guess.

Offline flyguy

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
Clearly, from reading Q's comments about the band - and Bono being his brother, etc - it would appear the man is fresh outta fucks and letting it all hang out. Then again, when you're 85, I would imagine the least painful thing at that age would be speaking the truth / sharing some wisdom with/about those you love before you shuffle off the ol' mortal coil.

However, I do find his comments about U2's musicmaking skills and there being "too much pressure on the band" kinda laughable, especially when you consider his reputation as one of the most renowned, demanding and skilled musical producers in the world and to whom "pressure" is something he's likely to have put on artists he's known.

As Chris Rock recently said during his Netflix concert:

"Pressure creates diamonds. Hugs don't. Try huggin' a lump of coal. Ya know what ya get? A dirty shirt."

So, really, I can't see "pressure" being a bad thing at any age if you're creative. Sure, as you get older, you wanna slow down and maybe take it a little bit easier on yourself ...

But if you're skilled or talented at anything, you can't expect to stay that way or past a certain point unless you keep at it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:17:40 AM by flyguy »

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »
The "pressure" seems largely self-imposed...case in point: A 12 year, billion dollar contract (2008) with Live Nation that's almost entirely dependent on touring, which doesn't expire until 2020. The JT anniversary jaunt could, conceivably, have been an attempt at "paying off" that contract via the band "buying out" of it. Twelve year contracts are almost unheard of in the music business, where a 7-year record contract can be an eternity and quite difficult (and expensive) to get out of. We still don't really know why McGuiness "retired"....perhaps cautions not to take on too much fell on deaf ears.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 09:22:11 AM »
The issue is not pressure... they have been under that pressure for over 30 years with people expecting greatness from them at every turn. It's more likely just them getting older and having achieved more or less everything they could possibly dream of.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »
U2 like creating noise, let's be honest.

I like them coming in and shaking things up, I feel there have been a lot of faux pas in the last few years though, particularly from NLOTH onwards which we all know. I think most of the band members would prefer to stop making records but I think Bono and Edge want to keep going.

I do continually wonder what happened to Bono, he seems to have aged so much in the last year or so. What has caused this? It's quite sad really.

Long live U2 creating noise though and promoting their new music. I think they still have another few great songs in them, if only an audience would listen.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:24:06 AM by Sevy2016 »