Author Topic: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States  (Read 17188 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »
Folks. I'm 34. I don't buy music. Its just a waste of money in general. I have an apple music account and listen to  the album there. If I had money to burn, I might have a record player and get a copy. But I don't like collecting stuff anymore. So...thats a bit pointless too.

So no point looking at sales. I presume most people are like me. Look at streams mind you.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Folks. I'm 34. I don't buy music. Its just a waste of money in general. I have an apple music account and listen to  the album there. If I had money to burn, I might have a record player and get a copy. But I don't like collecting stuff anymore. So...thats a bit pointless too.

So no point looking at sales. I presume most people are like me. Look at streams mind you.

Unfortunately, based on youtube, U2's streams for their new music are very low. U2's best performance vs other artist recorded music is still with album sales despite how small the figures are compared to albums released years and decades ago.

On a side issue:

I understand your reasoning for you personally for not purchasing music, plus given what has happened with technology and the internet. But I think artist deserve to be paid for their work. When I purchased Achtung Baby On Compact Disc back in November 1991, it was $15.99 + whatever tax. Adjusted for inflation into 2018 prices, that is $29.21, + whatever tax. The artist deserve to be paid for their work and they used to be paid for their work.

Imagine suddenly not being paid for the work that you do, or only being paid a fraction, maybe 10% of what you used to be paid. How would that effect you and the others like you?

Despite what is fair, technology and the internet seem to have permanently ruined the fair payment of artist for their recorded work. Its just too easy to obtain the music for free thanks to technology and none of the attempts to redress the problem have worked. Plus it is now culturally ingrained that there is nothing wrong with not paying for recorded music.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:32:12 AM by wons »

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
I once swore I would always stick with CDs and never buy music directly in digital form unless I just wanted a specific song. Now, I'm all about buying digital copies of things (it was actually the availability of U2 deluxe editions on sale around the release of TJT30 that inspired it). I tried a little bit of streaming, but honestly, it really isn't for me unless I'm entertaining people. I prefer to buy the music and own a copy and support the artist in question. They deserve my support for their work, and I just feel like streaming isn't it. Besides, it saves an awful lot of money for wifi access on flights. ;)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
I only have satellite internet which is expensive and data limited so streaming is not really an option for me.  I can buy digital music though.  I also believe that an artist needs to be paid for their work and creativity or it can surely only be detrimental to music in the long run.

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
As a later 40’s U2 fan (yikes that sounds old ! Lol) I use the following tiered system for new releases:

Reissues or purchases of classic albums (especially 1st prints) of bands such as REM, LED Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd)- often bought/kept them in vinyl and CD

1. New Vinyl/CD worthy-  new U2, many Radiohead albums or other releases (eg. loved both Gallagher albums) that are outstanding- keeps me young. ;)

2.  I TUNES- albums I like but aren’t “vinyl worthy” of a physical copy (last 2 Coldplay)

3. Stream everything else.

Consequently I have found that my music purchases have been reduced a lot but not completely. If anything I feel more excited when “vinyl worthy” happpens.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 04:42:49 AM »

Billboard's sales figures take streaming into account:

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
I once swore I would always stick with CDs and never buy music directly in digital form unless I just wanted a specific song. Now, I'm all about buying digital copies of things (it was actually the availability of U2 deluxe editions on sale around the release of TJT30 that inspired it). I tried a little bit of streaming, but honestly, it really isn't for me unless I'm entertaining people. I prefer to buy the music and own a copy and support the artist in question. They deserve my support for their work, and I just feel like streaming isn't it. Besides, it saves an awful lot of money for wifi access on flights. ;)

It's CDs and downloads for me. I like streaming for exploring new music, but I don't think it's something I can every rely solely on for listening. Not just for Internet data purposes, but because I like having some sort of copy that I own and something to play when there's no Internet connection!

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »
Guitar bands are out of fashion.  It's pop, R n B and EDM these days with a bit of hip hop/grime thrown in for good measure.  That may also account for some of U2's sales recently.  Metallica are now a novelty rock act.  The rock oriented kids like them like Guns N Roses.  U2 are unfashionable.
Do I care? No, of course not!

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »

That's only for the specific charts that include streaming. Not all of Billboards charts include streaming. The chart above is the Billboard 200 album chart that has always been in use until a couple of years ago. Its still posted, but just not as the main billboard 200 chart which includes streaming and individual track purchases. On that chart, U2's album is not even charted, because U2 has very low streaming and individual track purchases.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 04:33:26 AM »
A flop is a flop.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
A flop is a flop.

Its a flop when it comes to streaming, individual track sales, and radio airplay so far. But these album sales in 2018 are actually not that bad. Selling just 500,000 copies of an album these days in the USA could put you in the top 10 best selling albums of the year. While Songs Of Experience has only sold 25,000 copies since January 1, 2018, that still puts in the top 40 best selling albums of 2018 to this point.

The question now is how long can the album hold on? Will any songs from the album be able to break out and get noticed? Will the tour this summer help at all? Will the band receive any Grammy nominations at the end of the year? Its too early to fully assess what this album might do.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
If you subtract copies "sold" as part of ticket purchases, it is a total flop.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Streaming is definitely a big factor. All my kids stream music on their phones, one has a bunch of digital albums purchased, but the other two own maybe 5 CDs total between the two of them.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »

That's only for the specific charts that include streaming. Not all of Billboards charts include streaming. The chart above is the Billboard 200 album chart that has always been in use until a couple of years ago. Its still posted, but just not as the main billboard 200 chart which includes streaming and individual track purchases. On that chart, U2's album is not even charted, because U2 has very low streaming and individual track purchases.

Good to know, thanks. I thought all of their charts included streaming now.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
If you subtract copies "sold" as part of ticket purchases, it is a total flop.

Just because one purchased a ticket does not mean one got the album. You had to purchase a ticket and then specifically select the option to receive the album. I'm assuming most did not because it was an extra thing to do and it only gave you the basic album without the additional tracks like "Book Of Your Heart" "Ordinary Love" "Lights Of Home remix" and "Your The best Thing About Me" remix.

Lots of artist add this as an option including Metallica. The impact varies depending on the process, number tickets being sold, and whether the customer is receiving the full album with all tracks as opposed to some edited version which the U2 deal gave you.

Regardless, this is a great album, and U2 fans who have not taken notice or barely listened to the album are missing out, as our casual fans and the general public thanks to radio stations ignoring it.