Author Topic: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States  (Read 14752 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
People are still pi**ed that they got a free album on their iPhones four years ago.

I don't think U2's reputation could survive ANY SORT of forced album purchase.

And, what, are you going to for a family of four to shell out an extra $48 for four albums they don't want? Even hard core fans will be pi**ed.

Besides, people can already get the album for free with tickets - they just have to click a link and choose a download or CD. And they count toward the album sales. So they are already tapping the concert ticket market to the fullest extent.
Yes, trying to force people to buy an album is really not a good idea.

Of course anyone who buys a ticket has paid for an album, itís figured into the cost. So U2 could conceivably say up front, every ticket buyer gets an album, and send one automatically without waiting for people to request it. But that would be meaningless. If people canít be bothered to order an album theyíve already paid for they must just not want one.

Or maybe some people didnít understand they had to order it, or forgot? I had to remind my friend about ordering her album before the offer expired. I donít know. I think we have to accept that it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most people did not notice, or forgot the album option on the latest tour. Automatically getting the album with a ticket purchase would be a better idea. The fan would have the option of digital or physical and if they did not choose then they would just get the digital copy on their U2.com account or through E-mail.

But hey, its just an idea. I don't know of any other way of boosting album purchases at this point with more than 80% of the population no longer purchasing music and just streaming. Anyone got a better idea for boosting album sales, lets hear it.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #286 on: September 11, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
U2 need to sell their album honestly, to people who want it. There's nothing to gain and a lot to lose by playing these games.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #287 on: September 11, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
U2 need to sell their album honestly, to people who want it. There's nothing to gain and a lot to lose by playing these games.

Gold and Platinum awards to gain, only the stingiest of fans will protest. Again, were talking a $12 dollar album VS. a $120 dollar ticket on average. There is nothing dishonest about it. Often times people don't realize what is best for them and what they would most enjoy.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #288 on: September 15, 2018, 03:12:22 AM »
People are still pi**ed that they got a free album on their iPhones four years ago.

I don't think U2's reputation could survive ANY SORT of forced album purchase.

And, what, are you going to for a family of four to shell out an extra $48 for four albums they don't want? Even hard core fans will be pi**ed.

Besides, people can already get the album for free with tickets - they just have to click a link and choose a download or CD. And they count toward the album sales. So they are already tapping the concert ticket market to the fullest extent.
Yes, trying to force people to buy an album is really not a good idea.

Of course anyone who buys a ticket has paid for an album, itís figured into the cost. So U2 could conceivably say up front, every ticket buyer gets an album, and send one automatically without waiting for people to request it. But that would be meaningless. If people canít be bothered to order an album theyíve already paid for they must just not want one.

Or maybe some people didnít understand they had to order it, or forgot? I had to remind my friend about ordering her album before the offer expired. I donít know. I think we have to accept that it is what it is.

I think most people did not notice, or forgot the album option on the latest tour. Automatically getting the album with a ticket purchase would be a better idea. The fan would have the option of digital or physical and if they did not choose then they would just get the digital copy on their U2.com account or through E-mail.

But hey, its just an idea. I don't know of any other way of boosting album purchases at this point with more than 80% of the population no longer purchasing music and just streaming. Anyone got a better idea for boosting album sales, lets hear it.

Quit worrying about album sales and awards.  Music is not a competition and even if it was album sales is no longer a way to keep score.  It is becoming obsolete.  You may as well be a fan of Beethoven in 1800 complaining that heís not selling any recordings.  Youíre worrying about a statistic that isnít even relevant any more, trying to come up with a way to boost a score that no longer has any meaning.

People are less and less interested in owning and ďprogrammingĒ their own music.  They would rather listen to a curated playlist.  You can mourn the fact that things arenít the way they used to be.  Iím sure there were people who mourned that horses became relatively scarce when the car came along.  But most people were just glad there were no longer manure puddles in the street every time it rained.

The truth is you canít even give recorded music away to many (especially younger) people today.  People used to gift my kids itunes cards and they would just sit in a drawer unused.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #289 on: September 15, 2018, 06:01:47 AM »
Hey, if they aren't using those cards, send them my way, haha!

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #290 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
Hey, if they aren't using those cards, send them my way, haha!

Next time I come across one Iíll PM you.