Author Topic: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States  (Read 18467 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So no point looking at sales. I presume most people are like me. Look at streams mind you.

Billboard's sales figures take streaming into account:

That's only for the specific charts that include streaming. Not all of Billboards charts include streaming. The chart above is the Billboard 200 album chart that has always been in use until a couple of years ago. Its still posted, but just not as the main billboard 200 chart which includes streaming and individual track purchases. On that chart, U2's album is not even charted, because U2 has very low streaming and individual track purchases.

Good to know, thanks. I thought all of their charts included streaming now.

The Official Billboard 200 does use streaming and has been in use for a couple of years now. But they still keep the old chart running which is where these results come from.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Streaming is definitely a big factor. All my kids stream music on their phones, one has a bunch of digital albums purchased, but the other two own maybe 5 CDs total between the two of them.

Unfortunately for U2, their streaming figures are very low. The official Billboard 200, which includes streaming and digital track downloads, does not even have the album charted. It would be great if a lot of the fanbase was streaming instead of buying the album, but the numbers don't seem to show that. Perhaps some fans are listening to the album in ways that are not currently being tracked. I'm not sure about that though.

In any event, U2 needs a song from this album to somehow break through to the masses or get some grammy award nominations at the end of the year. Otherwise the sales will continue to trickle down and the album will not sell a lot more than it has already.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
Songs Of Experience drops from #84 to #114 on this weeks chart selling 1,730 copies. After 12 weeks, sales in the United States stand at 274,018.

Offline wik73

• Numb
Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 07:26:43 PM »
Had vinyl night with an old buddy this past weekend. The new album was cut off after a couple songs. It just never held our attention. Afterwards, I realized This spoke volumes about the quality of this album. I really tried to like it but it just doesnít have the tunes. This is why many, even long time fans, have no idea a new album is out. Quality and promotion seem to have killed SOE before it ever began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 11:16:08 PM »
Had vinyl night with an old buddy this past weekend. The new album was cut off after a couple songs. It just never held our attention. Afterwards, I realized This spoke volumes about the quality of this album. I really tried to like it but it just doesnít have the tunes. This is why many, even long time fans, have no idea a new album is out. Quality and promotion seem to have killed SOE before it ever began.

The album is great. I have read though that some older people tend to have trouble listening or liking new music. As you get older, something in the brain prefers what is familiar and makes it more difficult to like new music. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but it is something to think about with the average U2 fans being between the ages of 41 to 55.

People need to give the album a chance. Play it like you did Achtung Baby or the Joshua Tree the first time. It certainly took more than a few listens before most completely fell in love with those albums. Its fun listening to old familiar toons, but the the new ones are great if you give them a chance.

Online BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 05:33:32 AM »
Yeah, I agree. It's really the kind of album which grows on you the more you listen to it.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »

The album is great. I have read though that some older people tend to have trouble listening or liking new music. As you get older, something in the brain prefers what is familiar and makes it more difficult to like new music. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but it is something to think about with the average U2 fans being between the ages of 41 to 55.

People need to give the album a chance. Play it like you did Achtung Baby or the Joshua Tree the first time. It certainly took more than a few listens before most completely fell in love with those albums. Its fun listening to old familiar toons, but the the new ones are great if you give them a chance.
Thatís interesting. So, maybe Iím just too old to appreciate it. I do listen to new music and some have on regular rotation. I will admit I donít have the time to put into music as I once did but I feel as though I found the juxtaposition found throughout Achtung Baby to be far more interesting than their current work. But to your point, maybe I just keep going back to whatís familiar.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »

Thatís interesting. So, maybe Iím just too old to appreciate it. I do listen to new music and some have on regular rotation. I will admit I donít have the time to put into music as I once did but I feel as though I found the juxtaposition found throughout Achtung Baby to be far more interesting than their current work. But to your point, maybe I just keep going back to whatís familiar.

Its also possible that ones taste in music has changed which means it will take even more listens of the album before it starts to appeal to you. My best friend suggested that perhaps his taste in music had changed to explain his lack of enthusiasm about the new album, which he admits he has yet to listen to the whole thing.

I think Songs Of Experience is U2's 6th best album and I rate above such U2 classics as War and Boy.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

Its also possible that ones taste in music has changed which means it will take even more listens of the album before it starts to appeal to you. My best friend suggested that perhaps his taste in music had changed to explain his lack of enthusiasm about the new album, which he admits he has yet to listen to the whole thing.

I think Songs Of Experience is U2's 6th best album and I rate above such U2 classics as War and Boy.

Its really good, I like SOI a little better, but it's not better than War but better than boy

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 55) 3257

WOW, U2's album "Songs Of Experience" rises from #114 last week to #55 this week on a 88% sales increase! Last week the album sold 1730 in the United States and this week it sales 3257! A near doubling of sales from the previous week in the United States. GREAT SUCCESS! This is Songs Of Experience's 13th week on chart. Total sales now stand at 277,275 copies sold in the United States for "Songs Of Experience". That includes BOTH physical and digital copies.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:20:31 PM by wons »

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »

WOW, U2's album "Songs Of Experience" rises from #114 last week to #55 this week on a 88% sales increase! Last week the album sold 1730 in the United States and this week it sales 3257! A near doubling of sales from the previous week in the United States. GREAT SUCCESS! This is Songs Of Experience's 13th week on chart. Total sales now stand at 277,275 copies sold in the United States for "Songs Of Experience". That includes BOTH physical and digital copies.
Great news! What do you suppose accounts for it?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »

Great news! What do you suppose accounts for it?

Unsure, but its been suggested there may have been a delay in reporting album/ticket bundle sales to the chart and that this may have caused the sudden spike in sales.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »
I donít know what to make of the success or non-success of SOE.   I hit the gym every day and without exception, a track from SOE is playing on the sound system or video monitors.    I suppose they could be paying Golds to be included? 

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »
I donít know what to make of the success or non-success of SOE.   I hit the gym every day and without exception, a track from SOE is playing on the sound system or video monitors.    I suppose they could be paying Golds to be included?

That's cool. Where do you live? I wonder if its a Golds Gym national or worldwide thing or if its just someone at your particular gym that likes the band. In any event, on a national level, the new album is not getting any significant airplay on the radio. No song has made the HOT 100 chart or even the "bubbling under chart" which is the 25 positions below #100 on the HOT 100. The bands streaming is very low especially their youtube streaming numbers for the new songs. There is not any significant individual digital track purchases either from the new album.

The only thing that has done reasonable well from a certain perspective are the album sales, which stand at 277,000+ at the moment in the United States. In general selling 500,000 copies of album, includes both physical and digital sales, is enough to have one of the top 10 selling albums of the year now. So they have a bit of ways to go before they get there.

In general though, it seems at least 60% of people listening to music do it now through streaming, another 20% through individual track downloads, and the final 20% from album sales. So even if you are doing well with album sales, you still may not be that popular if your streaming is low and your individual track downloads are low. Its just the way it is now. The album sadly is no longer the chief barometer of success when it comes to recorded music. That now belongs to streaming individual songs.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »

Same for me. I go to the gym 3 times a week and every single time since december I've heard "Your the Best Thing About Me" in the Kygo version. Its on constant rotation and its nice to work out with Bono's voice in the background  ;D