Author Topic: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States  (Read 14706 times)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don’t know what to make of the success or non-success of SOE.   I hit the gym every day and without exception, a track from SOE is playing on the sound system or video monitors.    I suppose they could be paying Golds to be included?

That's cool. Where do you live? I wonder if its a Golds Gym national or worldwide thing or if its just someone at your particular gym that likes the band. In any event, on a national level, the new album is not getting any significant airplay on the radio. No song has made the HOT 100 chart or even the "bubbling under chart" which is the 25 positions below #100 on the HOT 100. The bands streaming is very low especially their youtube streaming numbers for the new songs. There is not any significant individual digital track purchases either from the new album.

The only thing that has done reasonable well from a certain perspective are the album sales, which stand at 277,000+ at the moment in the United States. In general selling 500,000 copies of album, includes both physical and digital sales, is enough to have one of the top 10 selling albums of the year now. So they have a bit of ways to go before they get there.

In general though, it seems at least 60% of people listening to music do it now through streaming, another 20% through individual track downloads, and the final 20% from album sales. So even if you are doing well with album sales, you still may not be that popular if your streaming is low and your individual track downloads are low. Its just the way it is now. The album sadly is no longer the chief barometer of success when it comes to recorded music. That now belongs to streaming individual songs.

Although no song may have reached the “bubbling under” I’m assuming that uses the same measures as the Hot 100 which means streaming is included and we all know they do terrible in that area. In terms of radio airplay, Best Thing reached #122 in audience impressions, according to a thread I was following on another forum where some of the posters had access to radio stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:06:17 PM by Luzita »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 07:43:09 AM »
I don’t know what to make of the success or non-success of SOE.   I hit the gym every day and without exception, a track from SOE is playing on the sound system or video monitors.    I suppose they could be paying Golds to be included?

That's cool. Where do you live? I wonder if its a Golds Gym national or worldwide thing or if its just someone at your particular gym that likes the band. In any event, on a national level, the new album is not getting any significant airplay on the radio. No song has made the HOT 100 chart or even the "bubbling under chart" which is the 25 positions below #100 on the HOT 100. The bands streaming is very low especially their youtube streaming numbers for the new songs. There is not any significant individual digital track purchases either from the new album.

The only thing that has done reasonable well from a certain perspective are the album sales, which stand at 277,000+ at the moment in the United States. In general selling 500,000 copies of album, includes both physical and digital sales, is enough to have one of the top 10 selling albums of the year now. So they have a bit of ways to go before they get there.

In general though, it seems at least 60% of people listening to music do it now through streaming, another 20% through individual track downloads, and the final 20% from album sales. So even if you are doing well with album sales, you still may not be that popular if your streaming is low and your individual track downloads are low. Its just the way it is now. The album sadly is no longer the chief barometer of success when it comes to recorded music. That now belongs to streaming individual songs.

Although no song may have reached the “bubbling under” I’m assuming that uses the same measures as the Hot 100 which means streaming is included and we all know they do terrible in that area. In terms of radio airplay, Best Thing reached #122 in audience impressions, according to a thread I was following on another forum where some of the posters had access to radio stats.

Considering that a song like "Last Night On Earth" made it to #74 in radio only airplay back in 1997, #122 is not good. It may have made the bubbling under chart back when it was just radio and sales based, but just barley.

Outside the United States, things of have not been much better. "Best Thing...." made it to #24 in France, #48 in Switzerland and #66 in Ireland. U2 had top 10 hits in Ireland with every album until Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
U2 has never had big Hits really outside a couple of songs off The Joshua Tree

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »

Considering that a song like "Last Night On Earth" made it to #74 in radio only airplay back in 1997, #122 is not good. It may have made the bubbling under chart back when it was just radio and sales based, but just barley.

Outside the United States, things of have not been much better. "Best Thing...." made it to #24 in France, #48 in Switzerland and #66 in Ireland. U2 had top 10 hits in Ireland with every album until Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience.

I'm not saying #122 is good, I'm just offering some additional information. And the performance of Best Thing in those other countries isn't good compared to how U2 has done in the past, but it's not terrible. U2 is no longer at the top of the charts, that much is clear, but for a rock band that's pushing 60 they're still hanging on. What does radio airplay look like for other bands of their age and genre?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »

I'm not saying #122 is good, I'm just offering some additional information. And the performance of Best Thing in those other countries isn't good compared to how U2 has done in the past, but it's not terrible. U2 is no longer at the top of the charts, that much is clear, but for a rock band that's pushing 60 they're still hanging on. What does radio airplay look like for other bands of their age and genre?

Off the top of my head, not good. Rock as a genre is out of style and that includes soft rock, rock, pop rock, hard rock, heavy metal, speed metal etc.

Bands and groups are also not in style in terms of the number of them out there these days.

Most artist that are successful are in their 20s, some in their 30s. Above 40 and making it into the top 50 radio songs is rare.

As for people U2's age, I don't have figures off the top of my head. But there are still artist a lot older than U2 that record new songs and tour, but they don't seem to be making a dent on the charts.

You could say U2 were defying their age back in 00s by having hits and big selling albums then. Given that they defied the trend then, one wonders why it can't be done now.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »

Pride
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Hold Me Thrill Me, Kiss Me Kill Me
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

These songs were all huge hits around the world, not just as singles, but in terms of generating album sales and turnning out people to concerts.

The band need another Beautiful Day or Vertigo.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »

Pride
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

These songs were all huge hits around the world, not just as singles, but in terms of generating album sales and turnning out people to concerts.

Outside Desire were they number 1?
i don't think so
for me a hit has to be number 1 at some point

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »

Pride
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

i don't think so

U2 have always been more of an album band than a singles band, but they've had quite a few hit singles, esp. outside the U.S. The U2 Discography article on wikipedia counts them up for a number of countries. To be sure, these are career totals.

IRE   AUS  CAN  FRA  NLD  NZ    SWE  SWI  UK   US
Total top ten hits           44     23     25     6     33   24     10    11     34     6   
Total number-one hits    21     5      14      0      4     8      0     1       7       2

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »

Off the top of my head, not good. Rock as a genre is out of style and that includes soft rock, rock, pop rock, hard rock, heavy metal, speed metal etc.

Bands and groups are also not in style in terms of the number of them out there these days.

Most artist that are successful are in their 20s, some in their 30s. Above 40 and making it into the top 50 radio songs is rare.

As for people U2's age, I don't have figures off the top of my head. But there are still artist a lot older than U2 that record new songs and tour, but they don't seem to be making a dent on the charts.

You could say U2 were defying their age back in 00s by having hits and big selling albums then. Given that they defied the trend then, one wonders why it can't be done now.

I wonder that too. I think there are songs on SOE that should be hits, but then they haven't released the best ones as singles. Red Flag Day, for example, I think should be a big hit. But what do I know? I'm old, so my ear isn't tuned to what makes for a modern pop hit. In fact I don't much like a lot of modern pop.

Still, I wonder if radio stations aren't even giving these songs a chance because of the age of the band. How do stations decide which songs to play anyway? And how do kids decide which songs to stream? They have to know the song is out there first.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:08:12 PM by Luzita »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »

I don't know. Muse's tickets are the most sought after where I live. And their songs are still broadcast by radios.

Quote from: wons on Today at 02:11:13 PM

Quote from: paddyattitude on Today at 09:29:52 AM

Pride
    Desire
    Angel Of Harlem
    Mysterious Ways
    One
    Beautiful Day
    Vertigo

These songs were all huge hits around the world, not just as singles, but in terms of generating album sales and turning out people to concerts.

Don't forget songs from War. New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday are still played by radios here. Last week, I worked from home for an entire day. I switched from station to station. I heard about ten  U2 songs (NYD, SBS, One, You're the best thing, Every breaking wave, Beautiful Day, Staring at the sun, Stuck in a moment, Streets, I've still haven't found).

Other songs were huge hits as well (I'm thinking about Stay, Ordinary love, Sweetest thing or City of blinding lights for instance).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:01:36 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
Quote from: Luzita on March 06, 2018, 07:35:41 PM

Quote from: wons on March 05, 2018, 03:08:39 PM

U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 55) 3257

WOW, U2's album "Songs Of Experience" rises from #114 last week to #55 this week on a 88% sales increase! Last week the album sold 1730 in the United States and this week it sales 3257! A near doubling of sales from the previous week in the United States. GREAT SUCCESS! This is Songs Of Experience's 13th week on chart. Total sales now stand at 277,275 copies sold in the United States for "Songs Of Experience". That includes BOTH physical and digital copies.

Great news! What do you suppose accounts for it?

Unsure, but its been suggested there may have been a delay in reporting album/ticket bundle sales to the chart and that this may have caused the sudden spike in sales.

Could there be a "promo" effect? I'm thinking about the Grammy ceremony on tv.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »

Pride
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

i don't think so

Someone gave me a big boxed set of number one hits from the eighties and nineties and to be honest there were only a handful of songs on there that I liked the rest were awful and I never listen to them.  I didn't like them then and I dislike them even more now.  The albums that I have collected over the years were definitely not a reflection of what was in that boxed set.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »

Metro St Louis.    Have noticed this at two of their local locations.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »

Same for me. I go to the gym 3 times a week and every single time since december I've heard "Your the Best Thing About Me" in the Kygo version. Its on constant rotation and its nice to work out with Bono's voice in the background  ;D
Yea, thankfully the Kygo version is what they are playing here as well.   I don’t care for the other one.    Have also heard The Blackout multiple times, among others.   

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »

I don't know. Muse's tickets are the most sought after where I live. And their songs are still broadcast by radios.

Quote from: wons on Today at 02:11:13 PM

Quote from: paddyattitude on Today at 09:29:52 AM

Pride
    Desire
    Angel Of Harlem
    Mysterious Ways
    One
    Beautiful Day
    Vertigo

These songs were all huge hits around the world, not just as singles, but in terms of generating album sales and turning out people to concerts.

Don't forget songs from War. New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday are still played by radios here. Last week, I worked from home for an entire day. I switched from station to station. I heard about ten  U2 songs (NYD, SBS, One, You're the best thing, Every breaking wave, Beautiful Day, Staring at the sun, Stuck in a moment, Streets, I've still haven't found).

Other songs were huge hits as well (I'm thinking about Stay, Ordinary love, Sweetest thing or City of blinding lights for instance).

Where is here?