Author Topic: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States  (Read 15995 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 has never had big Hits really outside a couple of songs off The Joshua Tree
Hard to imagine that Pride wasnít a Ďhití, but radio at the time just wasnít ready for it.    That song was huge, and no doubt set the stage for what came after.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »
Where is here?
In France.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »

Pride
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Hold Me Thrill Me, Kiss Me Kill Me
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

These songs were all huge hits around the world, not just as singles, but in terms of generating album sales and turnning out people to concerts.

The band need another Beautiful Day or Vertigo.

Outside Desire were they number 1?
i don't think so
for me a hit has to be number 1 at some point

That's way to narrow a definition for a hit. Generally, the industry starts to consider songs that make the top 40 to be hits. Without a doubt top 20 and top 10 songs are considered hits. Plus, its not just where the song ends up on the singles chart, but what the song does for the album it came from and for ticket sales as well.

As for #1's, With Or Without You was #1 for 3 weeks in the United States, and I Still haven't Found.. was #1 for two weeks in the United States.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 12:29:40 AM »
Where is here?
In France.

Good to know that Rock n' Roll is still alive and well in France. In the United States, its disappearing compared to where it used to be. In the 1980s, Rock music and Rock Bands were a huge part of the music market in the United States. The decline for Rock in the United States started after the Grunge movement ended in 1996.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:13 AM »
Hard to imagine that Pride wasnít a Ďhití, but radio at the time just wasnít ready for it.    That song was huge, and no doubt set the stage for what came after.

In the United States it made it to #33. Generally the bare minimum to be considered a hit in the United States is making it into the top 40. Still, some people don't think of a song that only makes it to #33 to be a hit. There were still people in the industry who did not know who U2 were back in 1985, believe it or not, despite having a top 40 hit and a huge soldout arena tour of the United States. That arena tour in 1984/1985 soldout 5 arena shows in the New York City area and 6 arena shows in the Los Angeles City area, something that Motley Crue were never able to do at any point in their career. U2 had a HUGE concert following by 1985, despite no hits or just one hit with Pride.

Sunday Bloody Sunday never made the HOT 100 in the United States. New Years Day only made it to #53. Its after U2 became MEGA popular in 1987 with the Joshua Tree that radio, especially classic rock radio would start to reach back and play songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
Quote from: Luzita on March 06, 2018, 07:35:41 PM

Quote from: wons on March 05, 2018, 03:08:39 PM

U2|SONGS OF EXPERIENCE ( 55) 3257

WOW, U2's album "Songs Of Experience" rises from #114 last week to #55 this week on a 88% sales increase! Last week the album sold 1730 in the United States and this week it sales 3257! A near doubling of sales from the previous week in the United States. GREAT SUCCESS! This is Songs Of Experience's 13th week on chart. Total sales now stand at 277,275 copies sold in the United States for "Songs Of Experience". That includes BOTH physical and digital copies.

Great news! What do you suppose accounts for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unsure, but its been suggested there may have been a delay in reporting album/ticket bundle sales to the chart and that this may have caused the sudden spike in sales.

Could there be a "promo" effect? I'm thinking about the Grammy ceremony on tv.

That was several weeks earlier and already showed up as a 600+ increase in album sales.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
Streaming is definitely a big factor. All my kids stream music on their phones, one has a bunch of digital albums purchased, but the other two own maybe 5 CDs total between the two of them.

Unfortunately for U2, their streaming figures are very low. The official Billboard 200, which includes streaming and digital track downloads, does not even have the album charted. It would be great if a lot of the fanbase was streaming instead of buying the album, but the numbers don't seem to show that. Perhaps some fans are listening to the album in ways that are not currently being tracked. I'm not sure about that though.

In any event, U2 needs a song from this album to somehow break through to the masses or get some grammy award nominations at the end of the year. Otherwise the sales will continue to trickle down and the album will not sell a lot more than it has already.
Itís unfortunate that it isnít getting noticed as it deserves.   LIBTAIIW is song of the year material without a doubt but it wonít get a nod without getting air play.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »
Where is here?
In France.

U2 seems to be quite popular there!

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »
I donít know what to make of the success or non-success of SOE.   I hit the gym every day and without exception, a track from SOE is playing on the sound system or video monitors.    I suppose they could be paying Golds to be included?

That's cool. Where do you live? I wonder if its a Golds Gym national or worldwide thing or if its just someone at your particular gym that likes the band. In any event, on a national level, the new album is not getting any significant airplay on the radio. No song has made the HOT 100 chart or even the "bubbling under chart" which is the 25 positions below #100 on the HOT 100. The bands streaming is very low especially their youtube streaming numbers for the new songs. There is not any significant individual digital track purchases either from the new album.

The only thing that has done reasonable well from a certain perspective are the album sales, which stand at 277,000+ at the moment in the United States. In general selling 500,000 copies of album, includes both physical and digital sales, is enough to have one of the top 10 selling albums of the year now. So they have a bit of ways to go before they get there.

In general though, it seems at least 60% of people listening to music do it now through streaming, another 20% through individual track downloads, and the final 20% from album sales. So even if you are doing well with album sales, you still may not be that popular if your streaming is low and your individual track downloads are low. Its just the way it is now. The album sadly is no longer the chief barometer of success when it comes to recorded music. That now belongs to streaming individual songs.
Metro St Louis.    Have noticed this at two of their local locations.

I use to work out at Golds in Fenton

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2018, 12:01:36 AM »
THRILLER peaking at #4 in the US is proof enough that "only #1 counts" is objectively stupid.

3/3/84

1. Jump - Van Halen

2. 99 Luftballoons - Nena (peaked at #2)

3. Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (peaked at #2 a week later)

4. Thriller - Michael Jackson

-

Also, not liking an album can't just be explained away by age, that's a biased argument. I think among U2 fans the reception has been across the board among all demographics.

-

And unless I missed something, why is nobody talking about how most earnings come from touring+merch, not record sales? U2 isn't a charity case, and I won't treat them as such, but apart from that - low profit, high visibility, highly accessible media (streaming, but also social media) is literally a business model. It's the way to promote your content and brand, it bridges the gap between casual/new listeners not willing to pay $10+, and it's a hybrid of radio and traditional media sales. Maybe it's a tougher hill to climb, but you can't attack the consumers when it's the market that has evolved.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:03:33 AM by HolyHandGrenade »

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2018, 05:25:47 AM »
Anytime we debate "sales" and U2 is just a bad sign.

**Physical
**Digital
**Streaming

yeah, yeah, yeah

Who knows?
Who cares?

Personally, I think the latest album felt kinda flat.

I keep thinking about that Grammy performance.

...There they were floating like a rock and drifting into a endless abyss full of history rock/pop hacks.

Nobody cared...

**commercial

Know one noticed.

**commercial

=cue peace/hate trump sign. <----

**commercial

Yea, that's great!

Even in it's weakest day, this forum here was so much more livid and vibrant than 2 or 3 years ago.

The shutdown was a flop.

Let's just be honest here...

Who cares about the @atu2 home page?

In 1996 it would have been kinda cool at 3 A.M. "surfing" on your Netscape browser.

I still want a follow-up to :

Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:28:28 AM by iced »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »

Also, not liking an album can't just be explained away by age, that's a biased argument. I think among U2 fans the reception has been across the board among all demographics.

And unless I missed something, why is nobody talking about how most earnings come from touring+merch, not record sales? U2 isn't a charity case, and I won't treat them as such, but apart from that - low profit, high visibility, highly accessible media (streaming, but also social media) is literally a business model. It's the way to promote your content and brand, it bridges the gap between casual/new listeners not willing to pay $10+, and it's a hybrid of radio and traditional media sales. Maybe it's a tougher hill to climb, but you can't attack the consumers when it's the market that has evolved.

The reception to the album among U2 fans has been mostly positive. There are exceptions of course, and you are apparently one of them. As for how age factors into it, age doesnít apply to the U2 fan demographic because if you are a U2 fan that means you like the rock genre, duh. But it applies to the general population because rock music isnít as popular among younger people.

What you are missing is the conversation in this thread is not about earnings, it is about record sales, radio play, etc. as measures of how well the new album is getting out to people. If it were about earnings then U2 is doing more than fine because, yeah, touring+merch.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »

Let's just be honest here...

Who cares about the @atu2 home page?

In 1996 it would have been kinda cool at 3 A.M. "surfing" on your Netscape browser.

If you donít like this forum or this site, why are you here?

I still want a follow-up to :

Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP.

Who cares?

If you want to talk about that start another thread. Or maybe start another forum since you donít like this one.

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »

The reception to the album among U2 fans has been mostly positive. There are exceptions of course, and you are apparently one of them. As for how age factors into it, age doesnít apply to the U2 fan demographic because if you are a U2 fan that means you like the rock genre, duh. But it applies to the general population because rock music isnít as popular among younger people.

What you are missing is the conversation in this thread is not about earnings, it is about record sales, radio play, etc. as measures of how well the new album is getting out to people. If it were about earnings then U2 is doing more than fine because, yeah, touring+merch.

I should have included an actual quote for what I was responding to:

Had vinyl night with an old buddy this past weekend. The new album was cut off after a couple songs. It just never held our attention. Afterwards, I realized This spoke volumes about the quality of this album. I really tried to like it but it just doesnít have the tunes. This is why many, even long time fans, have no idea a new album is out. Quality and promotion seem to have killed SOE before it ever began.

The album is great. I have read though that some older people tend to have trouble listening or liking new music. As you get older, something in the brain prefers what is familiar and makes it more difficult to like new music. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but it is something to think about with the average U2 fans being between the ages of 41 to 55.

People need to give the album a chance. Play it like you did Achtung Baby or the Joshua Tree the first time. It certainly took more than a few listens before most completely fell in love with those albums. Its fun listening to old familiar toons, but the the new ones are great if you give them a chance.

It just comes off as apologetic for the album. I think any music listener knows more listens can change an opinion, but more listens can also sour an opinion, and it's not just old people that have issues with it. And naturally the ones on @U2 will be more likely to praise it.

I actually DO like the album, but with what I was referring to - you can explain it away as being the promotion, but the fact is that young people could not care less about something as boring and vanilla as SOE. They do not care. Other artists with much less exposure than two appearances in one Grammys show have shot into popularity 10 times as easy. People here are assuming that with perfect promotion, maybe slightly better songs, better lyrics, radio airplay doing them a favor, etc... that there would be a hit, but that's still not guaranteed.

"it is about record sales, radio play, etc. as measures of how well the new album is getting out to people."

I addressed this... when you pivot from a priority on record sales to a priority on streams, retweets, and visibility, you are expecting a drop in one and a boost in the other. But here, SOE is lackluster on both accounts, and if anything, doing better in the metric that we shouldn't be worried about as much (the topic of this thread). Like I said, if they don't use those platforms, they'll have to be content with simply not being able to capture the demographics that only use those, or just don't care about dad rock.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
THRILLER peaking at #4 in the US is proof enough that "only #1 counts" is objectively stupid.

3/3/84

1. Jump - Van Halen

2. 99 Luftballoons - Nena (peaked at #2)

3. Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (peaked at #2 a week later)

4. Thriller - Michael Jackson

-

-

And unless I missed something, why is nobody talking about how most earnings come from touring+merch, not record sales?

Because this is not about the money being made, but how popular the band continue to be with the public or not. U2 made a ton of money on POPMART but it was widely perceived by many to be a failure, because the album sold poorly relative to Achtung Baby, and the band was playing lots of half empty stadiums. Yard stick of success was always "Album sales + concert ticket sales". In 2018, it appears that it is "streaming + concert ticket sales". U2 does really well at one, and poorly at the other. U2 don't want to be the Rolling Stones. They want to have the new music be accepted and loved by the public as they have done in the past. Lots of bands and artist make good money every year on the road playing their greatest hits, but U2 has never wanted to be in that group or forced to be in that group. Its what a lot of artist are forced into when their popularity starts to decline.