Author Topic: Question for those who travel, especially great distances, to see the band  (Read 963 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Do you only travel to see the show, or do you also stay in the city w enough time to also sightsee some?

I saw U2 in Toronto on the I&E tour, and then stayed for another 4 or 5 days to see more of Toronto. On the same tour, I saw them in both Belfast and Dublin: I planned my trip such where I had a combined 10 days on the island, so as to see both cities, as well as some of the countryside; afterwards, I flew to the mainland, and split 10 days between two Prague, Bratislava, and Budapest, flying to Istanbul from the latter, spending 10 days there to finish my trip.

For me, as much as I love the band, to travel like this to see them without actually visiting the town and country is a waste (Iíve also seen U2 in Atlanta, Chicago [twice], and NYC, and Iíve always spent time in each city, at least one day, too).

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Question for those who travel, especially great distances, to see the band
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:22:52 AM »
I went to NYC to see them during i&e and definitely made sure I had extra time to tour around the city. The other shows I've traveled for were to be there to work the show first and then watch, so I didn't have as much time to sightsee for those.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »
I have to travel to see any band.  I always stay and spend time when I do.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went to NYC to see them during i&e and definitely made sure I had extra time to tour around the city. The other shows I've traveled for were to be there to work the show first and then watch, so I didn't have as much time to sightsee for those.
To work the show?

Offline U2Crush

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
I try to make it a vacation or a mini vacation depending on the location!
Hawaii was the longest.  ten days in april (show cancelled) and ten days in december later that year.
London, Ireland, Italy about a weeks time around the shows to be a tourist!
SF, Phoenix, Chicago, Toronto, NYC longer weekends to enjoy show and the areas.

I like to combine U2 and vacation!

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »
To work the show?

Yep, I've been lucky to get to work a few U2 shows.  I would prefer to not say which company, but I work for a sports & entertainment ticketing vendor.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
With such cheap flights too mainland EU depending on where you live it can work out cheaper too travel its all about meeting new fans new Citys & watching STREETS live....!!!!!!!!!! Ive read loads of places people in EU not having a show by them just think what its like down in Oz & Nz them guys have too book like weeks of hols & spends thousands too come over for shows

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 05:34:56 PM »
I live in Australia. I saw 4 i+e shows in London and one in Glasgow. I built a 3 week holiday around it and saw a lot of Ireland and Scotland.
For the JT30 tour I went to San Diego and spent a few days before checking out the attractions.
If you're travelling that far you might as well make the most of it!

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
This year will be my 4th time traveling to Chicago for U2 shows (05, 09, 15 and 18).  In all cases Chicago has been the nearest city to me that was getting shows, and the only one within a reasonable drive.  The 05 and 09 trips were very much all about the sight seeing, with concerts as the cherry on top.  Now, I just kinda show up, see the concert, sleep in a hotel and head back home. 

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »
I went to see them in Brussels last year - I've been there before but arrived the day before and went back a couple of days after - had a stroll about in the day time, seeing some of the local sights and tried some nice restaurants and bars, and did a bit of shopping as well.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
I would love to follow U2 around NZ and OZ.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »
Do you only travel to see the show, or do you also stay in the city w enough time to also sightsee some?

I saw U2 in Toronto on the I&E tour, and then stayed for another 4 or 5 days to see more of Toronto. On the same tour, I saw them in both Belfast and Dublin: I planned my trip such where I had a combined 10 days on the island, so as to see both cities, as well as some of the countryside; afterwards, I flew to the mainland, and split 10 days between two Prague, Bratislava, and Budapest, flying to Istanbul from the latter, spending 10 days there to finish my trip.

For me, as much as I love the band, to travel like this to see them without actually visiting the town and country is a waste (Iíve also seen U2 in Atlanta, Chicago [twice], and NYC, and Iíve always spent time in each city, at least one day, too).

I did a two week trip of Ireland when I saw the band in Dublin back in 2005 on the Vertigo Tour. Most shows though are within a two hour drive so I usually just head home after the show, unless I'm staying over for a second show. I saw them in Pittsburgh one time, but I did not have time to tour much there because I was seeing them the next day in Columbus Ohio, so just like the band and crew I had to get out there the next day for the show.

I've seen U2 21 times and I'll see my 22nd and 23rd shows this June!

Offline Pixie1121

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Whenever I've traveled to see U2 or any other band, I usually just go to the concert then turn around the next day and drive home. I would like to spend more time in some of the cities I've traveled to but my work schedule just doesn't allow it. Typically I can have ask for two days off in a row and then use a vacation day. So I'll drive to my destination on day 1, see the concert on day 2, drive home on day 3 and be back to work by day 4.

If I were to ever go to Europe to see U2 I would take a proper vacation of 10-14 days.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
Don't always travel to see the band. 

But last year I went to London.  As we were staying out west of London, we went to Windsor the day before the show as it was near where we were staying.  And then the day after the show, we drove back home and called in at Stratford-upon-Avon and Leamington Spa (and met a fellow fan in Leamington doing likewise and sporting a brand new tour t-shirt). 

The previous time in London for I&E, we stayed with relatives so we just chilled out at theirs in the morning before heading to the show in the afternoon. 

In 2005 we saw Vertigo tour whilst on honeymoon.  So the day before the show we went to an old working cotton mill from the 1700's because it was fairly near where we were staying.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
I have arranged a couple of holidays around seeing U2 in concert. Has always been places I wanted to go to and just timed things so I could go to a concert or 2. Have always spent time in the city and country I have gone to given distance travelled and interest I had in going to those countries to start with. It all adds to the holiday experience really.