Author Topic: U2's social media page goes "Pop"  (Read 2524 times)

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
U2's social media page goes "Pop"
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
U2's last two social media (Facebook) posts have featured "Pop".  First, the 'Discotheque' video and, most recently, a photo from the KMart tour kick-off press conference.  Should we read anything into this, or is it simply a way to kill time before the tour starts?  Personally, I love the "Pop" era, so I'm delighted to see that the band is acknowledging it.  What are your thoughts?

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2's social media page goes "Pop"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
I love it ,it was the popmart tour that i finally got to see the band live so ot is bringing back a lot of memories ,as far as them doing something with this i don't think so just like you said killing time i hope that they will play something from the album though like gone, or last night on earth

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm excited as well, I think it's great that the band is acknowledging that era since it (as a huge Pop fan) seems like it's definitely been glossed over almost completely the last decade or so.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
I was at opening night in Las Vegas, and even with a few missteps, I thought it was the greatest rock show I'd ever seen.  Including ZooTV and all.  That is until 360, but that's a whole different era and tech, but the POP show in tiny Vegas stadium or whatever they call it today, was truly spectacular. Loved that era of U2.  Balls out! 

And now it's, 'You're the best thing about me...'  Ugh...  Please play 'Please' on this tour!

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:25:35 AM »
Can't honestly say that POP really does much for me. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:28:34 AM by summerholly »

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:59:20 AM »
Pop is my least favorite U2 album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was at opening night in Las Vegas, and even with a few missteps, I thought it was the greatest rock show I'd ever seen.  Including ZooTV and all.  That is until 360, but that's a whole different era and tech, but the POP show in tiny Vegas stadium or whatever they call it today, was truly spectacular. Loved that era of U2.  Balls out! 

And now it's, 'You're the best thing about me...'  Ugh...  Please play 'Please' on this tour!

I was there, too, CLarryG.  It was an exciting night, and a great time to be a U2 fan.

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Nice to see the Pop acknowledgement! Love the album and Popmart Toronto was brilliant! Incredible show.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
Good to hear that they are acknowledging Pop.  Fine album with a few flaws, but should never had been discarded to the extent that it was.

Offline KJWarnock82

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »

Some people are never f****** happy. I think this album is some of the most joyous and enjoyable work the band has ever done. They are 4 men comfortable in their own skin and happy with their lives and they aren't afraid to tell the world how they feel. Then along comes little keyboard warrior CLarryG with his/her 'ugh' comments and insinuating that everything was better 20 years ago. In 20 years time this same cat will be referencing SOE all misty eyed and saying it was 'better times'. Some people are just obsessed with reminiscing and feel the need to compare everything with something in the distant past. How about just enjoying things for what they are? Why does it all need to be a contest?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »

Some people are never f****** happy. I think this album is some of the most joyous and enjoyable work the band has ever done. They are 4 men comfortable in their own skin and happy with their lives and they aren't afraid to tell the world how they feel. Then along comes little keyboard warrior CLarryG with his/her 'ugh' comments and insinuating that everything was better 20 years ago. In 20 years time this same cat will be referencing SOE all misty eyed and saying it was 'better times'. Some people are just obsessed with reminiscing and feel the need to compare everything with something in the distant past. How about just enjoying things for what they are? Why does it all need to be a contest?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have not jumped into a personal attack/debate before on this forum before (mods check my history if needed) but I think I must stand up for CLarryG. I do not think his post deserved the vitriol he received. I think it’s best to summarize in four points why:
A) This thread was about Pop, not SOE, so hoping that Please be performed over Best Thing (or any song off the new album) is not out of bounds- it’s a preference.
B) starting a response with vulgarity does not enhance your argument. As well, denigrating him/her as a “keyboard warrior” and accusations of “obsession” because he/she does not love a song you enjoy is quite bullying (regardless of its 20 year old release date- ageism aside)
C) I am glad you enjoy SOE KJWarnock. So do I. But discussions often involve different opinions- if anything they help to better define our own views.
D) This forum was shut down not long ago because of the perceived personal attacks against members and their views on U2 and their catalogue.

I am likely to get heated responses to this post. I will not respond/engage in any battle. I think we would all agree that we are “one but not the same” in our love the band.

Jon

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
Yes it comes down to personal likes and dislikes.   I personally love their early stuff up to and including AB and also ATYCLB and am not overly fussed about POP and their latest music.  What I like of theirs makes me very happy and it is not really the distant past musically for me, it is just stuff I will always love and it never gets old, just like Pink Floyd etc.  Albums of theirs that I don't care for I am sure make other people happy.  Yep you cant please everybody all the time, no real need to get defensive about it when other people have different opinions. The fact is that most people that come here love something about U2 over the the past 35 years.  Some of us might wish that they sounded more like some other era and have a bit of a grizzle, some are happy with the new stuff.  The band is at a point in their career where they can do what pleases them!

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »
Was listening to POP a couple of weeks ago and thought it seemed to serve the present better than it served the time of it's release.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 04:06:11 AM »
Was listening to POP a couple of weeks ago and thought it seemed to serve the present better than it served the time of it's release.
Kinda feel the same way...  It was ahead of its time and a lot of us didn't "get it" back in '97...  I remember being disappointed initially, for after 'Zooropa', I was hoping for what a lot of others here are thirsting for now and that's a "back to basics" or, a more "raw" approach...  By the time 'PopMart' hit Vancouver later that year (less than a week after the Mexico City DVD show) the album had grown on me a bit but it wasn't until perhaps 10 years after that where I truly developed an appreciation for it...  I have to be in the mood for it though and usually opt for the live recordings instead...  'Gone', 'Last Night On Earth', 'Please', 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress', 'Miami' (when they did play it) & the acoustic 'Staring At The Sun' all sounded much better live, in my opinion...  'MOFO' did sound better live initially (especially at the Vegas show) but they made some changes to it as the tour went along...  Dropping Larry's drum intro in favour of the synths instead was a mistake and Bono's singing went from ripping to crooning when you compare the early to later versions...  although, to be fair, his vocal coach likely advised him to tone it down after he strained his chords on opening night...:-)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
I’m not a big fan of Pop but I’d give anything to relive that show in St Louis.   Hands down the best concert I’ve ever been to.