Author Topic: U2's social media page goes "Pop"  (Read 2231 times)

Offline KJWarnock82

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed
Re: U2's social media page goes "Pop"
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was at opening night in Las Vegas, and even with a few missteps, I thought it was the greatest rock show I'd ever seen.  Including ZooTV and all.  That is until 360, but that's a whole different era and tech, but the POP show in tiny Vegas stadium or whatever they call it today, was truly spectacular. Loved that era of U2.  Balls out! 

And now it's, 'You're the best thing about me...'  Ugh...  Please play 'Please' on this tour!
Some people are never f****** happy. I think this album is some of the most joyous and enjoyable work the band has ever done. They are 4 men comfortable in their own skin and happy with their lives and they aren't afraid to tell the world how they feel. Then along comes little keyboard warrior CLarryG with his/her 'ugh' comments and insinuating that everything was better 20 years ago. In 20 years time this same cat will be referencing SOE all misty eyed and saying it was 'better times'. Some people are just obsessed with reminiscing and feel the need to compare everything with something in the distant past. How about just enjoying things for what they are? Why does it all need to be a contest?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have not jumped into a personal attack/debate before on this forum before (mods check my history if needed) but I think I must stand up for CLarryG. I do not think his post deserved the vitriol he received. I think it’s best to summarize in four points why:
A) This thread was about Pop, not SOE, so hoping that Please be performed over Best Thing (or any song off the new album) is not out of bounds- it’s a preference.
B) starting a response with vulgarity does not enhance your argument. As well, denigrating him/her as a “keyboard warrior” and accusations of “obsession” because he/she does not love a song you enjoy is quite bullying (regardless of its 20 year old release date- ageism aside)
C) I am glad you enjoy SOE KJWarnock. So do I. But discussions often involve different opinions- if anything they help to better define our own views.
D) This forum was shut down not long ago because of the perceived personal attacks against members and their views on U2 and their catalogue.

I am likely to get heated responses to this post. I will not respond/engage in any battle. I think we would all agree that we are “one but not the same” in our love the band.

Jon
Bullying is a bit harsh a term to be bandying around Jon. All I have read since I've joined this Forum is people sh**ting all over U2 and their current work. I joined this forum because there is not enough celebration of what they do in the mainstream and thought this forum would be a haven and sanctuary from negative comments about the band. At the end of the day my opinion is just as valid regardless of the bullying accusation. I do however take your point on board that I was rather vulgar. For that I apologise there was no need. I was just angry and I am very passionate about defending U2.

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:23 PM »
Apologies for categorizing you as a bully- not my intention. (I consciously used the term as a verb, not as a noun- should have substituted ‘harsh” to be less dramatic). I applaud your love and defence of U2- they’ve been my favourite band for over (yikes) 30 years. I’ve met several haters during this time (including one of my best friends lol) and understand your frustration- I truly believe they deserve far more recognition than they get these days. No other band in history (to my knowledge) has the catalogue/longevity/creativity and drive as U2.

Hopefully we will get to the 10th anniversary of SOE and discuss it fondly.

Cheers

Offline KJWarnock82

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
Apologies for categorizing you as a bully- not my intention. (I consciously used the term as a verb, not as a noun- should have substituted ‘harsh” to be less dramatic). I applaud your love and defence of U2- they’ve been my favourite band for over (yikes) 30 years. I’ve met several haters during this time (including one of my best friends lol) and understand your frustration- I truly believe they deserve far more recognition than they get these days. No other band in history (to my knowledge) has the catalogue/longevity/creativity and drive as U2.

Hopefully we will get to the 10th anniversary of SOE and discuss it fondly.

Cheers
Good stuff

Our Love for U2 is greater than anything in its way!!!

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 05:55:04 AM »
probably the best u2 album
underrated for sure
they'll play some of it live on the next tour.
i'll bet on Please!

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:30 AM »
I was at opening night in Las Vegas, and even with a few missteps, I thought it was the greatest rock show I'd ever seen.  Including ZooTV and all.  That is until 360, but that's a whole different era and tech, but the POP show in tiny Vegas stadium or whatever they call it today, was truly spectacular. Loved that era of U2.  Balls out! 

And now it's, 'You're the best thing about me...'  Ugh...  Please play 'Please' on this tour!

I am one of those that think SOE is pretty darn good.   Exceptional for that matter.   Have to agree though, YTBTAM is an enigma for me as well.    I definitely skip it when listening to it, but then actually catch myself turning up the volume when the Kygo version comes on.    To each their own I guess.

Please was definitely a highlight from Pop, and right up there in their arsenal of deep album cuts.

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 07:09:55 AM »

Some people are never f****** happy. I think this album is some of the most joyous and enjoyable work the band has ever done. They are 4 men comfortable in their own skin and happy with their lives and they aren't afraid to tell the world how they feel. Then along comes little keyboard warrior CLarryG with his/her 'ugh' comments and insinuating that everything was better 20 years ago. In 20 years time this same cat will be referencing SOE all misty eyed and saying it was 'better times'. Some people are just obsessed with reminiscing and feel the need to compare everything with something in the distant past. How about just enjoying things for what they are? Why does it all need to be a contest?

There is a new website for people that literally spew hate for U2.   I doubt that’s the case for him or he wouldn’t still be here.  Peace.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »
They've mostly ignored Pop for so long, so it's nice to see it getting a bit of attention. It would it be awesome if they incorporated a couple songs from Pop into their upcoming tour...

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »
Pop is a masterpiece.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »

There is a new website for people that literally spew hate for U2.   I doubt that’s the case for him or he wouldn’t still be here.  Peace.

Spew hate?  WOW.  That is definitely not the case here.  Massive fan of U2.  Been to 35 shows over the last 30 years.  Their music is the soundtrack to my life as it is too so many others.  Got me through my wife's death when I was on the edge of abyss.  Nothing but love for them.  Have worked out with Larry, (couldn't be nicer) total respect.  But it doesn't mean I have to like every single song and it so happens YTBTAM is just one of those tracks.  Love, LOH, RFD, TLTYGA, BOYH. Just meant I'd prefer to hear PLEASE.  Sorry if I put anyone's panties in a wad.  Have a nice day.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:49 PM »

Spew hate?  WOW.  That is definitely not the case here.  Massive fan of U2.  Been to 35 shows over the last 30 years.  Their music is the soundtrack to my life as it is too so many others.  Got me through my wife's death when I was on the edge of abyss.  Nothing but love for them.  Have worked out with Larry, (couldn't be nicer) total respect.  But it doesn't mean I have to like every single song and it so happens YTBTAM is just one of those tracks.  Love, LOH, RFD, TLTYGA, BOYH. Just meant I'd prefer to hear PLEASE.  Sorry if I put anyone's panties in a wad.  Have a nice day.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that you spew hate! I agree you don't have to like every song and every era of U2 to enjoy them as a band! I certainly don't.  But I love enough of their music and have read enough about them to like them as a band and a bunch of people.
I have come across the hate spewers on the comments when watching some of U2 videos and you seriously have to wonder what drives often the same people spewing the same old nasty and often misguided and very boring rhetoric to follow the U2 vids/hate pages around.  I mean seriously if I don't like a band it never occurs to me to watch their videos or go to pages that hate them.  Why would you bother?

Discussion about their music with people that generally enjoy the band is a different story. 

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about your wife.    Im a man that doesn’t wear panties but thanks in advance in the event I ever give that a go!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 03:34:23 PM »

It's fine to have your own POV and to celebrate what you like. Declaring what the motivations of another person on here is something we've worked really hard to get away from. I see you're relatively new here, so please respect the fact that we've been down the path of your saying things like "this little keyboard warrior" and it go to the point where people were saying so much mean stuff that we shut the forums down for a while. We want this to be a place where people can talk about what they like (and dislike) about U2 and their art, rather than it getting into what people dislike about each other.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »
I'm in the 'POP is a masterpiece' camp and I hope they play some songs from it on the new tour.

Mind you, they might prefer to do that rather than play a POP anniversary tour.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 07:48:46 AM »
I like "Pop" as well, esp. Discotheque, If god will send his angels, Please, Staring at the Sun and Gone. I didn't know it had had such bad reviews at the time it was released.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:02:35 AM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »
It's about damn time.

Always loved that "Holy Joe"performance at K-mart.

Good stuff...