Author Topic: Four Vinyl Reissues?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
Four Vinyl Reissues?
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ATYCLB, Pop, Wide Awake & 1980-1990 listed for April 6 in Denmark. I believe they also listed HTDAAB before it came out, so this should be legit. Interesting that Pop is 2LP. I guess it wouldn't fit on one. That ups the cost though.

I picked up the HTDAAB vinyl recently, it was on sale on Amazon, it might still be actually. The packaging was nice, came with a big booklet inside which not all records do.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: Four Vinyl Reissues?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Pop looks tempting.

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
I have all the albums (including Passengers- I count it as U2 lol) on vinyl and will likely pick up the reissues. I only play Pop (and the other 1st print vinyl) on special occasions so having these will be great. Full disclosure- I found Pop in a bargain bin in 1998 and bought every new album for cover price on vinyl since - even before I had a record player. Lol. My wife laughed at me for that fact for years! Let the needle drop and the music begin!

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
Sounds tasty! Some Pop era rarities would be nice too.

Online ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »
I'm all for it. My only wish is that they would release more high-quality versions like they've been doing recently with their new releases, rather than cramming the entire album on a single disc.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
Now up on Amazon UK also, listed at April 13.

Well, three of them are there. Pop 2LP, ATYCLB, Wide Awake.

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 02:12:52 AM »
Im sure there wont be the delay in getting these out the way we are still waiting on the fan club vinyl being issued almost a year after re-subscribing.

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:30 AM »
Im sure there wont be the delay in getting these out the way we are still waiting on the fan club vinyl being issued almost a year after re-subscribing.

Maybe the delay is because they’re busy making these boyos.

Offline wallah

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »
Tried to pre-order but it's yet another item on U2.com that you can't use your 25 percent fan club discount on. Why do they even bother offering that discount? I guess I'll pick up ATYCLB and POP at my local record store.

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
Tried to pre-order but it's yet another item on U2.com that you can't use your 25 percent fan club discount on. Why do they even bother offering that discount? I guess I'll pick up ATYCLB and POP at my local record store.

It's always been that way. Select merchandise only and not for tickets, fan club memberships/renewals, audio or video! I always use it for a few tour T-Shirts and gifts in one go. The more your buy, the more you save.

Offline wallah

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »

It's always been that way. Select merchandise only and not for tickets, fan club memberships/renewals, audio or video! I always use it for a few tour T-Shirts and gifts in one go. The more your buy, the more you save.

Yeah, I realize that. It's just unfortunate that they do so because the music is the main thing I want to purchase. I've been a member since the Propaganda days and it seems like they provide fewer incentives to join the fan club than before. The only reason I remain a member is for the ticket pre-sales.

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
WARNING ABOUT PURCHASING ANY U2 VINYL RECORDS POST-POP
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »
Just a warning to all of my fellow U2 fans who are not audiophile experts. There is absolutely no reason to purchase vinyl reissues of any U2 albums post-POP except for collector purposes. The last U2 album to be recorded to analog tape was Pop. All albums since then were recorded digitally, and thus have no analog sound that is being preserved in a vinyl format, 180g or otherwise.

Transferring a digital source recording to vinyl provides as much audio benefit as copying a CD to a standard cassette: none.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
I thought all 90s albums were digitally recorded? I mean Digitally Mastered CD's came out in the 80s. I thought even many albums from them were digital only. Even ones released on both vinyl and CD.

Offline zooguitar

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »
Achtung Baby's demos were famously recorded to DAT; when they transferred those to master tape, they simply threw out the DAT, which resulted in the infamous bootlegs.

But I recall an old issue of Propaganda from 2000/2001 that specifically mentioned that ATYCLB was their first digital recording, and thus saved studio space from giant reel to reel machines.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
Anyone pick any of these up? Tempted to buy, but usually Amazon lowers the price after a while. I got HTDAAB for like 15 or 16 dollars.