Author Topic: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
When No Line came out, they hinted they had another one ready soon - Songs of Ascent. We were excited.

When SOI came out, they said SOE would come soon. We were excited (maybe a little less so).

Now... are we ok with their haul. I can't see there being one for sometime now. Tour will take a toll. They won't turn around one in 3 years, thats for sure. 5 maybe. But I would be surprised if they find a new motivation to do it again.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
Re: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »
That's ok. Given the waits for Bomb and No Line, SOE was a decent wait.

I don't know...the wait might be shorter than we think if they will turn to Eno/Lanois and Songs of Ascent.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:34:36 AM »
No, it's not.

I disagree.

This is more or less the same stuff the band has recorded over and over again.

It sounds like a group sounding like they did in 2000 more or less.

All the charts and singles don't matter anymore.

It's time to take off the crown (as the worlds biggest band) and make a true follow up to POP after all these years.

...as the worlds most interesting band on the planet.

And blow off the ego...

I don't want to see them performing [ever again] on a floating dud into an abyss segwaying for the next commercial break on the next Grammy's...

Get out the guns and blow out all the bullets left in the arsenal.

Every review of the album I've read seems to conjure up this exact same thought.

It was a good run...but it's actually kinda nice to do something different...

It's been 20 ***** years already...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:29:20 AM by iced »

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:35 AM »
Jup, that's my feeling to. And I find peace with it. Altough I hope they'll come with a new album soon I'm afraid it won't be good for U2.

I hope they'll be from now on more like a band who doesn't tour necessarily aroudn an album, but just giving it another format. They could also make album more like OS1, i.e. just go to another gerne (even dance, house or hip-hop, if they really have to), and don't overblow it like a commercial album.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:05:19 AM »
They have given me enough good music over the years to not care either way.  I am sure they could totally tour for awhile to come on what they already have if they felt so inclined and come to some of the countries they have missed for so long.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When No Line came out, they hinted they had another one ready soon - Songs of Ascent. We were excited.

When SOI came out, they said SOE would come soon. We were excited (maybe a little less so).

Now... are we ok with their haul. I can't see there being one for sometime now. Tour will take a toll. They won't turn around one in 3 years, thats for sure. 5 maybe. But I would be surprised if they find a new motivation to do it again.

Nope. I'm always ready for a new album. There was a time when artist came out with albums every year and toured every year. I would love to have Songs of Ascent this year. That would be awesome.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 02:06:03 AM »
I'm ok with a longer period between albums as long as the albums are good. I would gladly wait 10 years if the result is another album on Achtung Baby level. The issue is waiting 5 years for an album like NLOTH.

Offline Hwy 190

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:23 AM »
Bring on Songs of Accent.

Honesty, they're as good as ever ...we've just become spoiled and expect too much.

The Joshua Tree 2017 Tour brought out the fair weather fans.  I'm hopeful the upcoming 2018 Tour will focus on the core fan's demands we all read here in this forum and deliver the less know, or even better, the never-been-played-live-before songs.

If the recent BBC concert featuring the Walk to the Water snippet at the end of All I Want Is You was a preview of things to come, we're all in for a true fan show this spring.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
No, it's not.

I disagree.

It's time to take off the crown (as the worlds biggest band) and make a true follow up to POP after all these years.

And blow off the ego...

I don't want to see them performing [ever again] on a floating dud into an abyss segwaying for the next commercial break on the next Grammy's...

Every review of the album I've read seems to conjure up this exact same thought.

Ditto!

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
I'm not really craving a new album. I want deluxe editions of Zooropa through NLOTH (a proper version of the latter with songs like Mercy and the remixes) with all the rarities, remixes, etc. There's so much good music left there that isn't readily available (i.e. on iTunes, etc.) that would be nice to have on some reissues, and I'd like to see those.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »
I'm not really craving a new album. I want deluxe editions of Zooropa through NLOTH (a proper version of the latter with songs like Mercy and the remixes) with all the rarities, remixes, etc. There's so much good music left there that isn't readily available (i.e. on iTunes, etc.) that would be nice to have on some reissues, and I'd like to see those.

A final version of Mercy and Winter are going to be on the Songs Of Ascent Album.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
I don’t know how a new album is even an issue. We haven’t even seen the start for the tour supporting the album that was just released a few months ago.

Seriously, was anyone talking about a new album in February 1992?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 08:51:52 PM »
Not since one was just released.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
As one of U2's original audience (81'), the last record since Pop that really got me going was NLOTH. Longtime fans of any long-lived band, or artist, know the dry spells that come with a career measured in decades: The Who's Face Dances era, Dylan's post-gospel downtime until 89's resurgence with "Oh Mercy" (produced by Lanois), Neil Young's going wherever the hell he pleases (hint: go for the ride), even Metallica's lasted long enough that my 14 year old guitar student is griping about the records now. I suspect that the band will call in Eno and Lanois to make their last record. When that happens?....who knows.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 12:50:04 AM »
No, it's not.

I disagree.

And blow off the ego...

Even though I do enjoy what U2 has put out, being that they are my favorite band, I totally agree. I would love to see them shake it up and totally turn people's heads again with the music and themes they put out, a la the '90s albums. Have The Edge go crazy with whatever wicked guitar effects he can up, like he did in the '90s, have Adam and Larry dive into experimenting with whatever, and for Bono to lead the charge with whatever he can conjure up. Eno and Lanois, of course, would be great to have, but it would be cool to see if they could get other producers to try and really push them one last time. It's a pipe dream, but it's a damn good one at that.  ;)