Author Topic: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline eldercantrell@yahoo.com

• Babyface
Re: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:41 PM »
Where did you hear the beck remix if i might ask? I really like Beck and am looking forward to it. Would love to hear it.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And I think this tour could tell us a lot. If they are planning to play a lot of rarities and a lot of fan requests and longer sets then I would say that they very much can do another experiential album. Another go at Pop in this day and age could sound incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It would never happen, but I'd love to see the PopMart set get recreated to a certain degree with some of the amazing visuals used on the two most recent tours. Could you imagine songs like Mofo, Discotheque, and Lemon getting performed with that and with energy like they had on songs like Exit during TJT30 tour? That would be epic.

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 03:54:13 AM »
I know I'm not craving a new U2 album anymore.
For me U2 reminds me of my youth or adolescence. I'm my bedroom studying for uni
listening to zooropa and achtung baby.
Or even growing up hearing beautiful day on the radio.
Where as now, they can't get on the radio anymore.
At least in the UK.
I've gone passed the excitement stage now.
I probably won't even listen to a new U2 album.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 04:42:49 AM »
I know I'm not craving a new U2 album anymore.
For me U2 reminds me of my youth or adolescence. I'm my bedroom studying for uni
listening to zooropa and achtung baby.
Or even growing up hearing beautiful day on the radio.
Where as now, they can't get on the radio anymore.
At least in the UK.
I've gone passed the excitement stage now.
I probably won't even listen to a new U2 album.

Just because your local radio won't play new U2 songs does not mean such songs are not great and as exciting as anything U2 have done before. If you like U2's older stuff, its highly likely you'll like their newer stuff if you give it chances, many listens. They are still a rock band making great rock music.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
Where did you hear the beck remix if i might ask? I really like Beck and am looking forward to it. Would love to hear it.

On YouTube

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 11:17:00 PM »
There is a disconnect between the fan's sense of their music and the band's sense of their popularity. Of course there is more than one fan response. In general, however, the fans have been less interested in their latest records then the ones in their past. It's not clear the band agrees or even knows this. Or if they do agree, it's nothing they ever are honest about in communication with the fans.

Which leads to this distrust for many of us. We get the Bono PR machine on "this is the next Pop!" every time and then it's so far from that every time. Some basic human honestly is all I ask. 

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:46 AM »
I mean, what qualifies as honesty to you? They think the album is great - and it is. You want them to say it sucks? And that somehow will raise them a bit in your esteem?

In addition to the album being great, though admittedly a tough nut to crack, how do you think they can create music if they think it sucks? How can they put themselves out there, on recordings, at appearances, and on stage, if they don't believe in what they've created?

If the opinion of some fans who think they ought to be ashamed of their work was enough to make them stand down, we would have never even heard of them.

And what would that accomplish?

Don't like the album? Fine. But to demand that they "admit" a shame toward it that they don't feel? What?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 07:36:04 AM »
Not saying any of that. Most bands, by their age, have a more realistic outlook. All we get is bluster. It's one reason they're so polarizing in ways other bands are able to avoid.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
They are polarizing indeed, but it's not recent, so it's about something else.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
Not saying any of that. Most bands, by their age, have a more realistic outlook. All we get is bluster. It's one reason they're so polarizing in ways other bands are able to avoid.

They were indeed honest about Pop as being a mistake they would never repeat again. Their age? U2 or any band for that matter, does not have to act or behave a certain way because of their age. Their adults and they are allowed to do all the things adults do. Does not matter if your 21 or 101. U2 have a better idea of what their doing and how to do it than ANYONE out there. Their 40 year career to this point proves that. Its their life an work and they can do whatever the hell they want with it just as they have done for day one. Age is just a number and anyone attempting to put them in box because of age has some learning to do.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »

We've always had bluster.  Since the beginning.  Get used to it, it won't change.

They were indeed honest about Pop as being a mistake they would never repeat again. Their age? U2 or any band for that matter, does not have to act or behave a certain way because of their age. Their adults and they are allowed to do all the things adults do. Does not matter if your 21 or 101. U2 have a better idea of what their doing and how to do it than ANYONE out there. Their 40 year career to this point proves that. Its their life an work and they can do whatever the hell they want with it just as they have done for day one. Age is just a number and anyone attempting to put them in box because of age has some learning to do.

Agree on the Pop point.  The band were not proud of Pop and believe it unfinished.  Although many of us fans rate it as one of their best.

Agree on the comment about their longevity.  There is no other band who have existed for as long as U2 have with no line up changes (other than Dik Evans leaving) and with no hiatus/split.

Not so sure about the comment they can do what the hell they want.  On one hand, they can as they are decision makers.  On the other hand, they then seem to feel duty bound to 'please' the masses.  Except reading this thread, it appears that they may not be achieving this....!

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
And I think this tour could tell us a lot. If they are planning to play a lot of rarities and a lot of fan requests and longer sets then I would say that they very much can do another experiential album. Another go at Pop in this day and age could sound incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It would never happen, but I'd love to see the PopMart set get recreated to a certain degree with some of the amazing visuals used on the two most recent tours. Could you imagine songs like Mofo, Discotheque, and Lemon getting performed with that and with energy like they had on songs like Exit during TJT30 tour? That would be epic.

I wouldn't put it past them to get as creative again. In the live shows there's very little else they can do that's not already been done. I agree that recreating some of the visual, maybe intertwining them would be an epic spectacle. And yes Exit last year is the blueprint we want to see right now

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
Obviously, I still love my band and love that their putting out new albums.  I treasure this time, because I know it’s not going to last forever.  But I think for the first time in my life, I’d be “okay” if U2 decided to call it a day. 

I like all U2 albums, but I didn’t care for Songs of Innocence, as far a U2 record goes.  And when Songs of Experience came out, after a couple of weeks I thought it would eventually end up in that same barrel.  But as winter has turned to spring (sorta), Songs of Experience continues to reveal itself to me, and for that I’m grateful.  I didn’t think it would happen.  I cherish this precious time with new U2 music. 

Part of me has been waiting for a U2 album with psychedelic cascading waves of guitar, ala Achtung Baby…  an All That You Can’t Leave Behind record that pulls more from the 90s than it does from the 80s…  But I’m not so sure that’s going to happen anymore.  And that’s fine.  I’d also love to hear an album of ambient, moody sounds that you should listen to late at night on headphones that aren’t meant to be played live…  something like how Songs of Ascent has been described…

But if that doesn’t happen, it’s all good.  They’ve given me so much already.  Quite honestly, I’d be the most shocked I’ve ever been by this band if they release an album before 2021… if any album of new material ever again (and this is someone who was a puzzled and slack-jawed as any, listening the night Achtung Baby was released)….  In my opinion, I do think “the end is near.”     

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2018, 09:01:26 PM »

We've always had bluster.  Since the beginning.  Get used to it, it won't change.

Agree on the Pop point.  The band were not proud of Pop and believe it unfinished.  Although many of us fans rate it as one of their best.

Agree on the comment about their longevity.  There is no other band who have existed for as long as U2 have with no line up changes (other than Dik Evans leaving) and with no hiatus/split.

Not so sure about the comment they can do what the hell they want.  On one hand, they can as they are decision makers.  On the other hand, they then seem to feel duty bound to 'please' the masses.  Except reading this thread, it appears that they may not be achieving this....!

They would like it if they pleased the masses, and will promote the music in order to do that. That's what they have done since Boy and I don't see why they would change that.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »
  Quite honestly, I’d be the most shocked I’ve ever been by this band if they release an album before 2021… if any album of new material ever again (and this is someone who was a puzzled and slack-jawed as any, listening the night Achtung Baby was released)….  In my opinion, I do think “the end is near.”     

I remember when Zooropa was released in July 1993, one of my friends who was also a big U2 fan said he could not imagine U2 releasing any new material again. Another friend claimed that during the Elevation tour, he felt it was their last tour. Yet, here we are in 2018 with a big new tour set to start in two weeks. Think about it logically. Is there any reason for U2 to stop now or soon. I don't see any.