Author Topic: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »
As long as they want to go on, I will gleefully buy whatever they do. They could put out complete rubbish now and it wont tarnish their legacy for me. And the reality is, they simply aren't capable of producing complete rubbish. If it even approached that, I would expect Larry to call it quits.

The good thing is that every album provides me with a few songs of joy, sometimes more. SOI is top 4 for me (behind AB, Pop and JT). SOE isn't as strong to me but fairly solid middle ranking album with a number of songs I truly enjoy. NLOTH has some really strong moments including MOS, Fez and Magnificent. I don't expect to like everything they do and so my expectations are based around getting at least a few songs per album I like.

But I now also don't expect a new album for some time, probably 2021 at the earliest (with a 2000 to 2020 greatest hits for Xmas 2020 that hopefully gives us some recorded versions of Mercy, North Star etc on a deluxe version).

Offline laoghaire

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
Out of curiosity, I performed this incredibly unscientific experiment yesterday. Plenty of weaknesses in what I did but I went for it anyway.

I went through every studio album from the 20th century, and made a list of songs that jumped out to me as being really great for me personally. The songs that transport me. Zero critical analysis, just like: good song, good song, yup, oooh I love that one, that goes on the list.

There were 27 songs that made my list of "omg this song means a lot to me, makes me really feel something, is like going to church."

Then I did it for the 21st century. 20 songs made that list.

That is incredible.

In fact, that might outdo the 20th century list proportionally. There were 9 XX albums and only 5 XXI albums.

Granted, I put ATYCLB in the XXI group, which I believe is technically incorrect, but in my head that's where I put it.

Well, that's just me but one also can't really argue with a person's personal experience of a band. They are still relevant in my life, and not just the dusty oldies.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:24:46 AM by laoghaire »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That is incredible.

Lol, I just did this myself (for the 21st century) and came up with 20 as well.

And I have about 30 for the 20th century. So pretty similar.

Not sure what that says... I think maybe that a large portion of the 20th century was U2 discovering themselves, so in hindsight you listen to a lot of those songs and they become filler (a terrible way to describe it, but you know what I mean). Their post 2000 music not only is more recent, it's U2 having honed their sound into some songs that to be honest are as solid if not more sonic than some of their classics.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »
Interesting idea. I have a big U2 playlist of songs I really enjoy and I just counted up songs by century 27 from the 20th and 24 from the 21st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rlabs19

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »
I will listen to their new stuff with no expectations. They simply do not write music they way they used to -- and that's fair. We all age and grow into ourselves, and it would be crazy to expect Bono to write the same lyrics he did when he was a young 20-30-something.

The problem I have is that they project their image to be that they ARE still writing the same groundbreaking music as they did in their younger days. They do this, and couple it with desperate attempts at maintaining popularity (Kendrick Lamar guest spots), and that is where I have a problem.

I will always listen to their new stuff, but never with any expectations that it will be better than just okay.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »

That is incredible.

Lol, I just did this myself (for the 21st century) and came up with 20 as well.

And I have about 30 for the 20th century. So pretty similar.

Not sure what that says... I think maybe that a large portion of the 20th century was U2 discovering themselves, so in hindsight you listen to a lot of those songs and they become filler (a terrible way to describe it, but you know what I mean). Their post 2000 music not only is more recent, it's U2 having honed their sound into some songs that to be honest are as solid if not more sonic than some of their classics.

Did the same... 42 and 21 respectively. I have almost 20 from TJT and AB alone so pretty hard to compete with.

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 05:15:07 AM »
If the next album includes a complete version of "Soon" and 11 other songs that sound like it. I'll be excited. If it goes the Ordinary Love route... Not so much.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
If the next album includes a complete version of "Soon" and 11 other songs that sound like it. I'll be excited. If it goes the Ordinary Love route... Not so much.

What are the origins of the idea that there's a longer, more complete version of "Soon"?

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »
this thread seems to summarize a lot of the complaints i've been hearing about the band for years.
but people don't actually think Songs of Ascent is going to happen do they?  That idea turned into SOI and SOE.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
this thread seems to summarize a lot of the complaints i've been hearing about the band for years.
but people don't actually think Songs of Ascent is going to happen do they?  That idea turned into SOI and SOE.

No, upon the release of Songs of Innocence in September 2014, Bono mentioned that Songs Of Ascent was still a project they were working on along with Songs Of Experience. There is also another group of songs separate from those three albums that they worked on with Rick Rubin which will be worked on again and released at some point in the future.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2018, 01:11:39 AM »
The current album still needs time to sink in because its production doesn't reward repeated listens as much as their less-polished sounding previous works. Also, I didn't buy it in its year of release because I was just too busy. So there is not much of a craving right now. Anything new of merit by these four musicians will be a welcome surprise, though.

Also, they haven't yet put out a career spanning box set as a physical release. If they stick to the album-compilation-album-compilation cycle (which they continued with making SOI and SOE parts of the same pie), we're due for a compilation next, and that might just be the one that fits best to the economical power of their fanbase at this point. That bonus disc of unreleased material will be worth the price of admission, that's for sure. And a new single or two will be amongst the set, too.