Author Topic: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?  (Read 3550 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Are we finally not craving a new U2 album?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:59 AM »
I think they should do what they want. I'm not craving a new album because I'm still eating my current meal, SOE, and it's very satisfying to me.

If they announce a new album down the road? Yes, I'll be super excited.

I'm not even so sure SOE and SOI weren't reinventions of Pop level. I've never heard anything like Troubles or Wolves, and SLaBT is, wow, I challenge anyone to name the song(s) it sounds too much like. SOE has some flaws in that certain lyrics were repeated too many times, but it is deep and quality and fresh and new. Little Things does go back to the classic U2 sound - in a wonderful way - and The Blackout also has a Fly kind of feel musically (also in a good way) but overall it's new and fresh. Red Flag Day, just wow.

SOE is complex and it takes a while to grow the ears than can hear how much ass it kicks.

They blew me away in 2018, 30 years after they first did that to me (fan since 1988). I'm satisfied. And if they announce a new album? Sign me up. They've proved themselves to me - again!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, it's not.

I disagree.

This is more or less the same stuff the band has recorded over and over again.

It sounds like a group sounding like they did in 2000 more or less.

All the charts and singles don't matter anymore.

It's time to take off the crown (as the worlds biggest band) and make a true follow up to POP after all these years.

...as the worlds most interesting band on the planet.

And blow off the ego...

I don't want to see them performing [ever again] on a floating dud into an abyss segwaying for the next commercial break on the next Grammy's...

Get out the guns and blow out all the bullets left in the arsenal.

Every review of the album I've read seems to conjure up this exact same thought.

It was a good run...but it's actually kinda nice to do something different...

It's been 20 ***** years already...

I would hope that they don't return to an album that was a failure because they put an unfinished album out do to the demands of launching a massive tour. Pop probably needed another year of work including several re-writes of the material and maybe some new songs. They admitted at the end of 1998 that it was a mistake and one they would never repeat again.

Next up is Songs Of Ascent. After that I want to hear that album they were making with Rick Rubin.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
There hasn't been any good new music in  years. They can just be the biggest live band in the world.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
Sorry to post again but I've been musing.

SOE is NOT a "safe" album. They took a lot of risks, they stretched a lot of muscles. That's precisely why people are having a difficult time with it.

If you don't like the album, that's 100% cool. But I would like to challenge those who see it as "safe" to really examine that assumption.

WoWY was musically very simple and safe, even if the lyrics were more challenging than they appeared on their face. We all love Bad and it is very powerful emotionally but I think Little Things kicks Bad's ass - emotionally, lyrically, musically, in terms of pacing and structure. Bad is basically a simple song that hit a spot emotionally; Little Things is the mature and skilled version that lost none of the raw emotional power.

I don't even know if I like LIAWHL but it's not safe. It's different, weird, creative. I have my quibbles with the song, but not that they played it safe, no way.

GOOYOW has a lot of criticism, and American Soul seems to be considered the weak point of the album, and that may be so, but those songs are not safe. They aren't lazy either.

Red Flag Day is one of the finest songs they have ever done, both accessible sonically while deeply meaningful lyrically, and it's not a simple song.

Listening again to some of their older stuff recently, I hear that many of their songs were a lot "easier" to hear. I think that the easiest thing in the world for them to do would be to come up with a simple song that pleases the ear the first time like WoWY. But in SOE they did a lot more work, and I think it requires more work for us as listeners. I'm speaking as someone who was severely underwhelmed by the album the first ten or so times I listened to it.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to challenge assumptions. It's easy to assume the old songs were the best for a variety of factors, but I think the factors have less to do with any decrease in quality than people may think. Also, those who love Pop, don't forget how many consider it trash. It doesn't mean that it is trash, or that they played it safe or phoned it in or didn't have it in them anymore.

I joined this forum recently for one reason: I was (eventually) so blown away by SOE. (And it's a great feeling to find your heroes exceeded your expectations again).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:52:11 AM by laoghaire »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
There hasn't been any good new music in  years. They can just be the biggest live band in the world.

I wouldn't bother following a band that had not produced any good new music in years.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 06:02:11 PM »
As one of U2's original audience (81'), the last record since Pop that really got me going was NLOTH. Longtime fans of any long-lived band, or artist, know the dry spells that come with a career measured in decades: The Who's Face Dances era, Dylan's post-gospel downtime until 89's resurgence with "Oh Mercy" (produced by Lanois), Neil Young's going wherever the hell he pleases (hint: go for the ride), even Metallica's lasted long enough that my 14 year old guitar student is griping about the records now. I suspect that the band will call in Eno and Lanois to make their last record. When that happens?....who knows.

Id definitely like to see them record another album with Eno and Lanois again, throw Lillywhite and Flood in the mix too. If it has to be their last then so be it

While I like SOI and SOE, there is a feeling to both records that they are trying to sound young and fresh, I think the likes of Tedder and Jacknife Lee have really given U2 a different sound.

The albums that Eno and Lanois produced are the U2 that I love, they know the band better than anyone and I hope we get a return to that level of songwriting again

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
And I think this tour could tell us a lot. If they are planning to play a lot of rarities and a lot of fan requests and longer sets then I would say that they very much can do another experiential album. Another go at Pop in this day and age could sound incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
And according to the LN contract they are due one more album before the end of 2020....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 12:15:59 AM »
I get a feeling they'll eventually get one more album out and it probably won't be amazing but they'll find enough energy to do it once more.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
I will always look forward to the prospect of a new album for as long as they can keep turning them out. 

I'm enjoying the current one, and having just read Sherry Lawrence's essay on Achtung Baby vs Songs of Experience, it confirmed something I had been thinking about. AB was sonically groundbreaking, but was a hard album to birth.  SOE is maybe not as sonically groundbreaking, but lyrically and musically it is better - tighter and more complete through maturity and experience.  U2 certainly seem to have age on their side.  SOE is, for me, up there in the top finishers.

If all the U2 albums were in a horse race; TJT would win by a clear length, followed by AB by a neck in front of SOE, which would beat Pop by a nose.  It would be a close finish for second, third and fourth.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 02:51:50 PM »
I can't believe anyone could seriously suggest that SOE is better than AB. AB is the sound of one of the best bands of all time at the peak of their powers, creatively, sonically and lyrically. SOE is a solid by-the-book album from a bunch of 50 something multi-millionaires, it's very good for what it is but won't be remembered in years to come. In their early days U2 always wanted to be like The Who and now they are, albeit 'Wire and Glass' era The Who.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
I can't believe anyone could seriously suggest that SOE is better than AB. AB is the sound of one of the best bands of all time at the peak of their powers, creatively, sonically and lyrically. SOE is a solid by-the-book album from a bunch of 50 something multi-millionaires, it's very good for what it is but won't be remembered in years to come. In their early days U2 always wanted to be like The Who and now they are, albeit 'Wire and Glass' era The Who.

Totally agree. AB is not just on another level from SOE its in another dimension. I read that essay on @U2 and I dont think I agreed with a single point in it. AB is better sonically, lyrically, musically... it's just way superior on every single level. SOE isnt even the best U2 album this millenium.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »
I don't expect a new album for around 5 years. And I don't really understand the expectation some have on Songs of Ascent coming at all let alone any time soon. Best you can hope for is some fanclub type release of previously unreleased material and maybe songs like Mercy, All My Life and others might come out that way. I wish it was different as SOI and SOE are quite good, but I just don't see it.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 12:34:18 AM »
No, it's not.

I disagree.

It's time to take off the crown (as the worlds biggest band) and make a true follow up to POP after all these years.

And blow off the ego...

I don't want to see them performing [ever again] on a floating dud into an abyss segwaying for the next commercial break on the next Grammy's...

Every review of the album I've read seems to conjure up this exact same thought.

Fundamentally I agree, but the band have made it clear they don't agree. Bono said they could go into the studio again and add a bunch of noise effects to their songs, which is evidently what they thought they were doing on Zooropa and Pop, but the band wasn't interested in doing that anymore. I think it is one of the big gaps between the band and a group of their fans: the fans (myself included) think that what they did with AB, Zooropa, and Pop were very engaging sonic experiments, but U2 think it was just a bunch of studio effects that weren't very relevant to the basic songs. The band and a section of the fans come at their '90s work from very different directions, and I don't know if the two sides will ever meet again.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
No, it's not.

I disagree.

And blow off the ego...

Fundamentally I agree, but the band have made it clear they don't agree. Bono said they could go into the studio again and add a bunch of noise effects to their songs, which is evidently what they thought they were doing on Zooropa and Pop, but the band wasn't interested in doing that anymore. I think it is one of the big gaps between the band and a group of their fans: the fans (myself included) think that what they did with AB, Zooropa, and Pop were very engaging sonic experiments, but U2 think it was just a bunch of studio effects that weren't very relevant to the basic songs. The band and a section of the fans come at their '90s work from very different directions, and I don't know if the two sides will ever meet again.

Maybe go and buy the Beck remix of Lights of Home if you want fancy arrangements and noises then? (it is a very good remix btw).