Author Topic: Comparing U2ís presale approach to other bands.....  (Read 422 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Comparing U2ís presale approach to other bands.....
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:00 PM »
..... specifically, bands that eschew the whole ďverified fanĒ schlock.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I scored a ticket to see Metallica in Cleveland, via their fanclub presale. Iím not a paid member, so I was only afforded seated tickets in my selection, and a maximum of 2 tickets. The tickets werenít sold through Ticketmaster, but a page through Metallicaís own website (though maybe powered by Ticketmaster, for all I know, as the other presales, as well as the general sales, are through Ticketmaster).

It obviously wonít keep tickets out of scalpers hands, but neither did U2ís much ballyhooed verified fan system. Unless if the band mandated people being IDíd at the door (as some have done, such as Tom Waits; though itíd obviously only work on a logistical level in small venues), or if government legislation comes down more harshly on these professional touts, then nothing will stop scalpers, so far as Iím concerned.

What are yíallís thoughts and/or experiences with buying tickets for other tours?

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Comparing U2ís presale approach to other bands.....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
As an aside, I scored a Radiohead ticket last week, though in the general sale. Iím fairly certain, though, that their presale thing runs much like Iíve described for Metallica.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »
Any takers?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
U2 is the only band I buy tickets for, so I have nothing to compare. I think though that how the tickets are sold is based largely on the potential demand and number of members in the fan club. Something else to keep in mind is that fans are not the only ones who join the fan club for presale opportunities. Scalpers join as well and just like they try to buy a lot of tickets, they will signup and/or pay for several fan club accounts.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:53:15 PM »
I bought GA for Radiohead during their fan member pre-sale.  To be a member of their "WASTE" official website is TOTALLY FREE.  They sent a link to fans the day before.  No issues, no "verified fan."

Also, it was a third party who handled the ticket sales, NOT TICKETMASTER.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:13:54 PM »
Thanks, it's interesting. I think it works the same way for Muse.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I bought GA for Radiohead during their fan member pre-sale.  To be a member of their "WASTE" official website is TOTALLY FREE.  They sent a link to fans the day before.  No issues, no "verified fan."

Also, it was a third party who handled the ticket sales, NOT TICKETMASTER.

The main tickets are sold through Ticketmaster, though. Itís the fanclub presale thatís handled via 3rd party.

I love U2, but after my experiences with both Radiohead and Metallica, Iím convinced that theyíre either stupid about this subject, or their hands are tied via their contract w LiveNation