Author Topic: Any news or rumors about more tour dates for E&I Tour?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Any news or rumors about more tour dates for E&I Tour?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
Well it's not the norm to do 5 US legs in 4 years.

Just look at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . There's virtually no US shows sold out, it's a bad look! Compare that to Europe, where only a few shows haven't sold out, & they're all second night shows, or more. Europe's also had quite a few legs over the last few years. Other markets, which haven't had shows for years would definitely sell out many, many shows.

I'm sure U2 could tour indefinitely & make a profit, but the guys are getting old, & really don't have that many shows in them. But you can't expect them to tour two days on, two days off, tramping to all corners of the world (or the US, which seems important to you). Month after month, for years. I think it'd be much better to play to full houses, ALWAYS. If people in the US can't be bothered to get off their @rse & travel for a couple of hours by car or plane, then too bad, it's obviously not that important to them. I'll be travelling for about 24 hours to see my shows.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:48:04 PM by d.darroch »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well it's not the norm to do 5 US legs in 4 years.

Just look at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . There's virtually no US shows sold out, it's a bad look! Compare that to Europe, where only a few shows haven't sold out, & they're all second night shows, or more. It's also had quite a few legs over the last few years. Other markets, which haven't had shows for years would definitely sell out many, many shows.

I'm sure U2 could tour indefinitely & make a profit, but the guys are getting old, & really don't have that many shows in them. But you can't expect them to tour two days on, two days off, tramping to all corners of the world (or the US, which seems important to you). Month after month, for years. I think it'd be much better to play to full houses, ALWAYS. If people in the US can't be bothered to get off their @rse & travel for a couple of hours by car or plane, then too bad, it's obviously not that important to them. I'll be travelling for about 24 hours to see my shows.

U2 is not OLD! Garth Brooks is the same age and has done 400 concerts over the past 3.5 years.

I understand the US shows are not all soldout, but that is because they a playing a lot of the same markets they did on the Innocence and Experience Tour and the Joshua Tree 2017 tour. If they played the cities on the list I gave, they would get better results.

There is no other country in the world where U2 will sell more tickets and make more money than the United States!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
Larry's back, Bono's health.

Of course they make more money & sell more tickets in the US, they've done so many more shows there. Live Nation makes more money there, per show, because they own some of the venues, & have exclusive promotional rights. That's what it's all about.

Bring on the end of this LN deal!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »
Larry's back, Bono's health.

Of course they make more money & sell more tickets in the US, they've done so many more shows there. Live Nation makes more money there, per show, because they own some of the venues, & have exclusive promotional rights. That's what it's all about.

Bring on the end of this LN deal!

Larry's back bothered him over 20 years ago. He does just fine and on the Joshua Tree tour 2017, he pounding it out just like it was 1992 literally! Bono sounded healthier than any other singer in the industry on the Joshua Tree tour last year! The band is in top form, and the shows I saw last year proved it! I'm looking forward to the new tour this year!

You must think their healthy to if you want them to go all the way to Australia!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:53:23 AM by wons »

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »

I understand the US shows are not all soldout, but that is because they a playing a lot of the same markets they did on the Innocence and Experience Tour and the Joshua Tree 2017 tour. If they played the cities on the list I gave, they would get better results.

There is no other country in the world where U2 will sell more tickets and make more money than the United States!

The odd thing is that even in markets U2 haven't played in 2015 and 2017 ticket demand is weak: Tulsa, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Omaha, Newark. Plus no second shows at planned for Uniondale and Atlanta. Is even Uncasville not sold out yet?

There won't be any add. dates on the US leg. And I definitely don't believe in a new leg in 2019. It's pretty clear that the eiTour will come to an end in Nov. 2018. And I even more believe in a 30-year-anniversary Lovetown tour than in an eiTour of Australia in 2019. 

The decrease of demand in L.A. is a another point. In 2015 they were not able to sell 8 shows so they moved to Denver (where demand was as disappointing as in L.A.) This year they can't even sell out 2 shows... in L.A.....in L.A.!

@wons: Pretty much every city you mentioned got a show last year. It doesn't make sense to play there this year. They probably got a show in 2017 because they wouldn't get one in 2018. The only exception is Salt Lake. They should have played there instead of San José.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:44:59 AM by opening night »

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »
All shows will end up being full by show day.  The point is not to sell these tickets out immediately.  By dragging it out for 6 months or more, they're able to milk every last dollar out of the audience that attends a show.  Once we get to the last few weeks before the show, all the expensive unsold tickets will come down in price, and will get sold.  What we're dealing with here is a combination of saturation and extremely high prices for a band who are not as in-demand as they used to be.  If we had Vertigo Tour prices, we'd have instant sellouts like the Vertigo Tour had. 

Yeah, the fact that they can't sell out 2 arena shows in Chicago and LA is kind of surprising.  But they did just sell over 100,000 tickets in both cities less than a year ago, so I think everything is fine.  I kind of figured they'd do a proper tour of Europe, Australia and Asia in 2018, and not return to North America until 2019, after we've all had a chance to miss them. 

Look at Metallica's sales maps on TM.  They do a 360 show in the round, and have many unsold tickets in the upper levels of the arenas as well.  They also just did a major stadium tour of NA just last year.  But eventually, they'll implement flex-pricing and the arenas will fill up for them.  Smashing Pumpkins, however, will be playing to half full arenas all over the country.  At most, U2 might have a couple shows that have 1,000 or so empty seats behind the stage in the upper level.  Even Garth Brooks had that when I saw him in 2016, it happens.  Not every show sells out, it's not a big deal for most people.  However, if U2 fail to sell out a show, it means the beginning of the end.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 06:12:10 PM »

The odd thing is that even in markets U2 haven't played in 2015 and 2017 ticket demand is weak: Tulsa, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Omaha, Newark. Plus no second shows at planned for Uniondale and Atlanta. Is even Uncasville not sold out yet?

There won't be any add. dates on the US leg. And I definitely don't believe in a new leg in 2019. It's pretty clear that the eiTour will come to an end in Nov. 2018. And I even more believe in a 30-year-anniversary Lovetown tour than in an eiTour of Australia in 2019. 

The decrease of demand in L.A. is a another point. In 2015 they were not able to sell 8 shows so they moved to Denver (where demand was as disappointing as in L.A.) This year they can't even sell out 2 shows... in L.A.....in L.A.!

@wons: Pretty much every city you mentioned got a show last year. It doesn't make sense to play there this year. They probably got a show in 2017 because they wouldn't get one in 2018. The only exception is Salt Lake. They should have played there instead of San José.

Los Angeles like Chicago is another market that got saturated with all the shows in 2015 and 2017. I think cities that were not hit in 2015 but hit in 2017 and have shows in 2018 are doing well. Look at Philadelphia and Washington D.C. . The Philadelphia shows are soldout because you can only buy resell tickets. The first D.C. show is soldout and much of the second show has sold well too even though its not soldout yet. That's despite having a stadium show in both markets the year before.

U2 could repeat that success that they have had in Philadelphia and Washington D.C. in the following cities:

Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Miami
San Diego
Seattle
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Columbus Ohio
Salt Lake City

Those cities at the very least could do as well as Philadelphia and Washington D.C. in terms of selling out either one arena show or two arena shows depending on market size.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
  If we had Vertigo Tour prices, we'd have instant sellouts like the Vertigo Tour had. 

But you do have Vertigo tour prices. There are tickets priced at $41, $76, $106, and $171. All of those ticket prices, 4 out of the 5 standard ticket prices, are well within the Vertigo ticket price levels. Unfortunately though in some cities, tickets at these lower prices are not selling. So I would say its first saturation, before price that is playing the bigger role here. I do think price does play a role, especially when the best seats are priced at $325. I think on the next tour U2 needs to re-adjust their ticket prices to ones that are less likely to scare people away. But the more important role in selling tickets is still the overall popularity of the bands new music.

As far as not selling out shows, U2 will never ever be ripped as badly as they were back in 1997 for not selling out dozens of Popmart shows in the United States. Even if these arena shows don't sellout, they will still look full, in stark contrast to several of the Stadiums U2 played in the United States on Popmart back in 1997.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:22:25 PM by wons »

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
Just looked at the Infinite Energy Center's website, and there will be no 2nd Atlanta show (as if anybody had any doubts).  2 local high schools have the arena booked on May 29th for their graduation ceremonies.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »
Just looked at the Infinite Energy Center's website, and there will be no 2nd Atlanta show (as if anybody had any doubts).  2 local high schools have the arena booked on May 29th for their graduation ceremonies.

Hold on now. There are openings May 31, June 1,2, and 3. That does not mean they will be used, but there is still space there and the band is not in Montreal until June 5th.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 03:56:54 AM »
It not likely that they would set up the concert for the 28th and then take it down to put it up one day later (although they are doing this at MSG between June 26th and July 1st).

I will still bet on a concert in Toronto on Friday June 1 and/or Saturday June 2.  Atlanta is on Monday May 28th, plenty of time to get to Toronto for June 1st/2nd and then two days to get to Montreal for Tuesday night.  Montreal could have been on June 1/2 as the Bell Centre is open then.

I believe they are waiting for the NBA and NHL playoffs to start.  Both the the Toronto Raptors and Leafs are in the playoffs for at least the first round.  The final round for both the NBA and NHL will be played around the end of May/beginning of June.  Should one of the teams fall out after the first round I suspect there will be an announcement.

This is only my speculation based on the calendar and availability of the venues.

Larry Mullen Seniors Son

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »

I was just at this arena for the Killers in January, I was astonished at how small the place was! Capacity is 11,355. That's basically a club show for U2, they could have easily pulled another one out there.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »
Following...

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
Well, the last dates on the Innocence And Experience Tour in the United States, the Denver shows, were added about 6 weeks before the start of the tour. Were about two weeks out from the start of the tour now, so it would seem they are done adding shows for North America in 2018. I suppose there is still the possibility for more shows in Europe in 2018.
Australia, New Zealand and Japan will likely get shows in the January - March period of 2019.

Then the question will be if the band start a 2nd leg of the tour in North America in May 2019. The problem with this is that its a full year away. Will the band still be wanting to try and promote the album nearly 18 months after its release in the United States with a new leg of the tour. You sort of saw that happen with 360, but that was actually due to Bono's back problems causing the tour to be delayed.

The band may finish the tour with around 25 shows in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. That brings the tour up to about 85 shows which all though on the short side could still be considered a full tour based on number of shows.

The unfortunate thing is that the following cities/areas that always get a show in the promotion of a new album have not received any shows since the 2009-2011 period promoting a new album:

Dallas
Houston
Miami
Tampa
Kansas City
San Diego
Seattle
Salt Lake City
Minneapolis
Detroit
North Carolina/South Carolina
Ohio

U2 has not played a show in Ohio promoting a new album since the 2005 Vertigo Tour.

I don't think this is a good thing. Some fans may lose touch and interest in the band which will not be good for attendance figures when they do finally come back around to these places.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:36:26 AM by wons »

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
I am from Ohio, and I support the above post!  We're the 7th most populated state in the country, with 11.5 million people.  Cleveland and Columbus have great modern arenas.  Cincy and Cleveland both have great modern football stadiums.  And LITERALLY EVERY OTHER BAND COMES TO OHIO ON TOUR!!!!  They should've played Columbus this tour.  Right in the middle of Ohio, plus big cities like Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville and Pittsburgh are only 2-3 hours away.  We're just as deserving as Tulsa or Omaha, FFS!