Author Topic: Opening Act for North American Leg  (Read 1197 times)

Offline SigmaZeta234

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Opening Act for North American Leg
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »
Anybody hear any rumors on who might be opening up for the boys on the North American leg of the upcoming tour?  I'm going to be at the first show in Tulsa and am anxious to know who else we might get to see besides U2.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Re: Opening Act for North American Leg
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
The I+E had no opening act. The opening act of TJT30 was announced before the sales. So I guess no opening act

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »
Since they're playing in arenas instead of stadiums, there is less earning potential.  One way to make more money without raising ticket prices even more is to not have an opening band.

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:18:55 AM »
U2 don't need to warm up the audience before their show  :)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 06:24:32 AM »
Though, if you've been waiting all day in a GA line, & will be waiting for hours on the arena floor, it would be nice to be entertained by an opening act. With these ticket prices in sure there's enough 'earning potential', even with an opening act.

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
Shame on U2 for not having an opening act!  They could give a huge boost to a young, up and coming band by having them open on this tour.  New bands have a harder time than ever to get new fans and this could give someone a lot of exposure.  Actually, they should have 2 opening acts.  Big country artists always have at least 2 opening acts.  It's a win for the fans and the bands!

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Shame on U2 for not having an opening act!  They could give a huge boost to a young, up and coming band by having them open on this tour.  New bands have a harder time than ever to get new fans and this could give someone a lot of exposure.  Actually, they should have 2 opening acts.  Big country artists always have at least 2 opening acts.  It's a win for the fans and the bands!

Those “big country shows” start super early, like 5pm. At least that’s what I’ve noticed whenever godawful Kenny Chesney comes to my city.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
I'm fine with no opener.  U2 has helped enough bands along the way.

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »
Shame on U2, what? Would you rather have 2.5 hours of U2 or slightly over 2 hours of them + 45 mins of another random act? Look at IE tour (for which EI will follow) vs JT. So you’d prefer to hear 21-22 U2 songs instead of 25-26? Why are you on this site in that case?

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »
Shame on U2, what? Would you rather have 2.5 hours of U2 or slightly over 2 hours of them + 45 mins of another random act? Look at IE tour (for which EI will follow) vs JT. So you’d prefer to hear 21-22 U2 songs instead of 25-26? Why are you on this site in that case?
Good point. No opening act could mean a lomger U2 show. Is that true by the way?

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »
Since most of the crowd, including me is older, I am fine with no opener. Let's cut to the chase and see the best live band ever.

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
The I+E tour did not have longer setlists than other recent U2 tours with opening acts.  The lack of an opening act is not extending the time U2 plays, it's just shortening the entire concert.  With these ticket prices, I expect more.  Pearl Jam, Springsteen and the Cure can play 30+ songs consistently. Why do we U2 fans get stuck with 23?  - and no opening act!  I love U2.  I just wish they would do some things differently. 

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »
The I+E tour did not have longer setlists than other recent U2 tours with opening acts.  The lack of an opening act is not extending the time U2 plays, it's just shortening the entire concert.  With these ticket prices, I expect more.  Pearl Jam, Springsteen and the Cure can play 30+ songs consistently. Why do we U2 fans get stuck with 23?  - and no opening act!  I love U2.  I just wish they would do some things differently.

Most artist stay within a 20 song 2 hour show. I would say that largely has to do with the singers vocals. If you overdue, you could damage your voice and then the tour could be postponed or cancelled. Bono has to take care of his vocal chords. I'll take two hours of U2 over 4 hours of either Pearl Jam, Springsteen or the Cure any day of the week.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »
Its now official according to the main page of this site that there will be no opening act for these shows.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:51:39 AM by wons »

Offline 7October

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »
No opening band? No problem. Thank you very much. The talent pool today has a bit too much chlorine in it. Better off with more time for still the best band on the planet 38 years after their debut album