Author Topic: U2: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - What's Yours?  (Read 481 times)

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
U2: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - What's Yours?
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »
The Good: The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby

The Bad: Trying to hard to be the 'biggest band in the world'

The Ugly: The whole tax thing

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: U2: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - What's Yours?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
The Good:  The incredible amount of reinvention U2 would conjure from album to album their first two decades.  Highlighted by transitions like The Unforgettable Fire after War, and Achtung Baby after Rattle and Hum.

The Bad:  When it seemed that U2 didn't try as hard at reinvention their last two decades.  Highlighted by How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb after All That You Can't Leave Behind, being very similar records (and both a "back-to-basics" approach, in their own rite).

The Ugly:  Does the Spider-Man Musical count, since it's just Bono and The Edge?  I'm not sure if U2 as an entity have yet fully recovered creatively and sonically with the time and effort involved with that.  The rest of the band got put on hold with a side project of notorious repute.  It also seems to me that Larry, in particular, hasn't been the same since.  Whether or not that's the cause, I don't know.

All that being said, I like every U2 album in their own ways.  For (sort of) recent examples, No Line on the Horizon is one of my favorite U2 albums, and Songs of Experience is still gaining in favor for me. 

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
The good for me is obviously their music.  I don't like all of it but I love enough of it to make them one of my standout bands of my lifetime.

The bad is me missing more of Edges beautiful shimmering guitar sounds in the last few albums.  Oh and not touring here for years.

I don't have an ugly

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »
Am a bit similar to Summerholly here.

The good - the music. I don't like all of it but every album gives me enough and much of it is awesome.
The bad - they need to fire up The Edge more. More Until The End of The World, less The Best Thing (which isn't terrible).
The ugly - that there is so much unreleased material out there. Sure, not all of it is good but average U2 material is still pretty good. Would love a decent recording of Mercy, All My Life, North Star and there must be lots of stuff we barely know of that exists. Hopefully, one day, much of it sees the light of day in some shape or form. I couldn't care less re things like Spiderman, the iTunes release, political do-goodery, tax management etc. It's all about the music.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
Good - The music, especially Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

Bad -  How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb and October being for me sub par albums.

Ugly - iTunes release, though the thought of U2 haters getting that and complaining about it does make me chuckle a little.  Still I would not be happy if any hip hop was downloaded for me.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Good: Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Actung and ANY concert
Bad: All albums after Achtung
Ugly: Get On Your Boots