Author Topic: Little Things>which version do you prefer?  (Read 428 times)

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
Little Things>which version do you prefer?
« on: March 01, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
I completely fell in love with TLTTGYA the first time I heard the song, a live version where Edge stays on the keys till the 3rd verse...IMHO, so MUCH better to have the guitar creep in and then peak at the climax of the song.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This would be a perfect early Fall release and solidify their multiple Grammy's that this LP should garner!
The lyrics are infectious and the song is haunting like WOWY.

Oh, and Red Flag Day will be a hit this Summer :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:45:37 PM by Jono »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
Re: Little Things>which version do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:58:53 PM »
Totally agree with you that this song is both good and haunting.
Actually, I wrote about it in another thread (Where I am, it seems to have been released as a single already but it gets less airplay that You're the best thing about me), so I think I'll just cut and paste here what I had already written.

During the first three minutes, the guitar work is lovely but imho its sound is so low in the mix that it feels like it only really starts kicking in at around 3:21  (at "Sometimes I'm full of anger and grieving" - which is logical, but it takes a while to get there).
 Some radios actually turn it down to play something else at around 3 minutes - when it starts building up - which is annoying. What a pity as it truly rises gloriously and passionately afterwards!
The guitar / drums build up could probably have started a bit earlier (maybe around 2:28 [at "Sometimes, I can't believe my existence, etc."] without compromising the lyrics imho - or maybe the previous verse could be shortened for a radio edit, or I'm just being really picky and nearly deaf and this song is just too delicate for my ears...

Oh, and Red Flag Day will be a hit this Summer :)
It's a good song, so yeah, it could be!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:20:47 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »
Little things is my favorite song on SOE. I prefer the studio version on the album.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
The studio version for me.  Just gorgeous.  Favorite track on SOE.  When they played it live with Edge on keys, it felt disjointed.

Offline kevtn43

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 03:21:46 PM »
I love the live version the panio sets the mood of the song and it kicks in when edge comes in with guitar, although the album version isn't bad i was really hoping that the live version would be what was on the album

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
Studio version for me, I love the guitar work in the first half.  Also, I think the decision not to do the full chorus until the second time, meaning they only actually play the entire chorus once, is genius and shows the kind of restraint you wouldn't expect from a band chasing pop success.