Author Topic: After the SoE tour what should the band do?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
After the SoE tour what should the band do?
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:06:13 AM »
Should they...

Call it time and end the band? Maybe this would free up solo albums and signal the release of older U2 material both live and studio?

Release another album (possibly this would be their last) and tour it?

Release another album (possibly this would be their last) and NOT tour it?

Take an extended break and release more remastered albums (we all l-o-v-e them  ;) )

Carry on regardless until the stars fall from the sky?

I used to think that my world would fall apart if the band ever split, but now I think I'll still be heartbroken but more accepting of it - if that makes sense.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
Re: After the SoE tour what should the band do?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:22:14 AM »
Carry on as long as they can and want!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:01:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Should they...

Call it time and end the band? Maybe this would free up solo albums and signal the release of older U2 material both live and studio?

Release another album (possibly this would be their last) and tour it?

Release another album (possibly this would be their last) and NOT tour it?

Take an extended break and release more remastered albums (we all l-o-v-e them  ;) )

Carry on regardless until the stars fall from the sky?

I used to think that my world would fall apart if the band ever split, but now I think I'll still be heartbroken but more accepting of it - if that makes sense.

U2 will still be recording and touring 20 years from now. Just look at the Rolling Stones. 58 is still young for an artist or musician. This is not a professional sport or a standard job that they have to do. Its something they love and enjoy doing. The idea that you retire at 65 is starting to be an ancient concept and is typically for people who don't like what their doing or can no longer do it. U2 don't fall under any of those categories. The band I saw on the Joshua Tour 2017 last summer is just as powerful and energetic live as they were when I first saw them on the ZOO TV tour in 1992.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
I haven't really thought about it.  But thinking off the cuff, since I forgot my crystal ball today...

Either:
1) After the tour and a half year break, come back and make an album that doesn't need to be toured or played live.  Perhaps something like how Songs of Ascent that has been described -- quieter, more contemplative songs.  Release this sometime in the latter part of 2020. 
2) Come back and do a massive farewell tour that starts in late 2021 and runs through fall of 2022. 

Or:
1) After the tour and a half year break, come back and make an album that doesn't need to be toured or played live.  Perhaps something like how Songs of Ascent that has been described -- quieter, more contemplative songs.  Release this sometime in the latter part of 2020. 
2) Go back in the studio and try, one last time, to do a modern album that captures the zeitgeist, is largely critically acclaimed, and one final reach at a radio hit.  This would come out in the latter part of 2023.
3) Tour for this album in 2024.
4) Massive farewell tour from late 2026 through the fall of 2027.

I honestly think, at this point, they'd do a farewell tour in stadiums.  They have a primal need to perform into 60,000 people, and that's how they'd want to go out.  A farewell tour would possibly be the only way for them to sell out stadiums anymore (not sure if a reunion tour for my favorite album, Achtung Baby, would even be able to do that in the U.S., and I don't think I'd want to envision what that could be like).     

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
I haven't really thought about it.  But thinking off the cuff, since I forgot my crystal ball today...

Either:
2) Come back and do a massive farewell tour that starts in late 2021 and runs through fall of 2022. 

Or:
2) Go back in the studio and try, one last time, to do a modern album that captures the zeitgeist, is largely critically acclaimed, and one final reach at a radio hit.  This would come out in the latter part of 2023.
3) Tour for this album in 2024.
4) Massive farewell tour from late 2026 through the fall of 2027.

I honestly think, at this point, they'd do a farewell tour in stadiums.  They have a primal need to perform into 60,000 people, and that's how they'd want to go out.  A farewell tour would possibly be the only way for them to sell out stadiums anymore (not sure if a reunion tour for my favorite album, Achtung Baby, would even be able to do that in the U.S., and I don't think I'd want to envision what that could be like).   

Why does the bands next tour or the one after have to be a farewell tour or the last tour?

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:44 PM »
Seeing as although SOE has been critically acclaimed, it hasn't produced the zeitgeist they were after....

Go away and dream it all up yet again.

For the record:  I really like SOE, it's their best since Pop (equal to Pop and slightly better than The Unforgettable Fire).

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »
Well, at least there will be some conclusion at the end of this tour. Some of these themes have been kicking around for a few years.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:31:22 AM »
I would expect them to take a break, then in time head back into the studio on and off to start on the next album. It is going to take a while. I expect 1 or more of them to do a side project of some sort too. Hopefully not another Spiderman but could be that or a movie soundtrack, write with other artists etc.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:23:13 AM »
I say next up SOA with Eno/Lanois but no worldwide tour, maybe a few select shows. Instead, their next tour is AB30.

Offline dan

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:58:39 AM »
Now that the new music doesn't seem to be a big draw in relevancy compared to the popular artists today, I would like them to try a different style of music for the next album if there is one. I like  the albums since 2000 but they are quite similar compared to before that, when each album seemed quite different to the previous album.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »
"Carry on regardless until the stars fall from the sky;" the thought of it all ending makes me SO SAD.  The latest Achtoon Baby sums up my feelings exactly.  They've been there with me all along.  I always pictured us growing old together.  Not ready to let go of this...

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:38 PM »
have a couple of pints

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
"Carry on regardless until the stars fall from the sky;" the thought of it all ending makes me SO SAD.  The latest Achtoon Baby sums up my feelings exactly.  They've been there with me all along.  I always pictured us growing old together.  Not ready to let go of this...

You don't have to because the band is likely to still be touring and recording 20 years from now. The Rolling Stones are doing a big stadium tour in Europe this summer and are rumored to be releasing a new album sometime later this year.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »
A cover album of their favorite 'early days' bands ( Ramones, The Clash and more). They could whip this album out fast and go out on a new tour in 2020. The 2020 tour- I can see clearly now!

Keeping Bono in bubble wrap until the next tour might be a bigger challenge.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
I think after SOE tour we will have about two years of absolutely nothing. 3 tours in 4 years means they are going to take a long break, I'd say.