Author Topic: After the SoE tour what should the band do?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
Re: After the SoE tour what should the band do?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
I predict that they don't do much for a couple years. In 2021, they release a new album that is a lot different from any of their other albums. It gets labelled as inconsistent, but a few of the songs are considered as ranking among some of their U2's best. The album is recieved in a generally positive light by critics, and it gets a lot of positive reception from hardcore fans. They go on a smaller tour for this album that is successful considering its size.

They release another album in 2024 that is less experimental, but is consistent and positively received. It has a single that performs modestly well and they do a bit of a bigger tour. The tour is a successful arena tour.

The band does a lot of side projects for awhile and finally releases a new album in 2030. It becomes clear it will be their final album and it gets pretty high reviews. A lot of critics think it is their third or fourth best album and the fans generally agree that it is great. (BTW, at this point in time, Pop is now considered a Top 5 U2 album by the majority of critics and fans 😁). The band goes on one long final stadium tour that ends everything on a high note. The tour is extremely successful.

The guys are now around 70, and they spend the rest of their lives still doing music-related activities and occasionally doing some minor projects together, but U2 is done. The band's legacy is enshrined, and hate towards Bono and the band lessens slowly over time. The majority of people respect them as a great and iconic rock band that endured for a long time. The band lineup never changed, and the music community marvels at the fact that they had the same group of guys for 50 years. Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry's long-lasting friendship is well-respected and continues to exist until their eventual deaths (which are hopefully a long way away).

If things went this way, I would be very satisfied. I just came up with all of this right now. Some of it is definitely idealist, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if things turned out completely differently. But I definitely think we will at least get a couple more albums and 10 more years of U2. I see them still doing stuff through their 60s.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:37:22 PM by NintendoFan204 »

Offline salty72

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
Open up the vault of live recordings and release them to us fans!

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:52 PM »
Call it a day after Dublin 4 in November, that'd be the way to go out. Announce it in a speech before 40, and ride off into the Irish mist forever.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 10:15:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think after SOE tour we will have about two years of absolutely nothing. 3 tours in 4 years means they are going to take a long break, I'd say.

I think itís something like this - however Iím less certain they will do anything. Bonoís health is an issue and I feel they have been aiming for this point in their career for a while. If itís the usual trilogy approach then Songs of Ascent May see the light of day and then I think that could be it.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 12:42:50 AM »
I think after SOE tour we will have about two years of absolutely nothing. 3 tours in 4 years means they are going to take a long break, I'd say.

I think itís something like this - however Iím less certain they will do anything. Bonoís health is an issue and I feel they have been aiming for this point in their career for a while. If itís the usual trilogy approach then Songs of Ascent May see the light of day and then I think that could be it.

If Bono's health were an issue, there would not have been any Joshua Tree tour in 2017 let along an Experience And Innocence tour in 2018. In the You're The Best Thing About Me video, Bono is eating pizza, doing shots, and drinking beer. Performance wise, he was in fantastic shape on the Joshua Tree Tour in 2017.

What point do you claim they are aiming for? The band is alive, active, having fun, and doing what they love. Why stop doing what you love doing? Staying active and engaged is the healthy thing to do!

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »
Call it a day after Dublin 4 in November, that'd be the way to go out. Announce it in a speech before 40, and ride off into the Irish mist forever.

Why? Why would you have them stop doing what they enjoy? They like playing and creating music and performing in front of large crowds. They have been doing this since they were children. Its like breathing to them.

Plus, calling it day after Dublin 4 sounds like a way of really sticking it to the fans down under.

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 04:37:32 AM »
I don't think that much will change from what they usually do, which is take a break and then work on a new album. Having realized that the end is near and because they love what they do, I don't expect an extended break. So, by the end of 2020 I expect a new album. Hopefully something more experimental in collaboration with Eno  / Lanois. Then they will tour in 2021 and it could be a tour connected with both the new album and the anniversary of Achtung Baby.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
U2 will release "Songs of Ascent" (or another album) by the end of this year and then go on tour in 2019. 15 years ago, the band sign with live nation a contract for 4 albums and 4 tours. The contract expire in 2020.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:45:58 AM by BONO31 »

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 06:49:12 AM »
I don't think that much will change from what they usually do, which is take a break and then work on a new album. Having realized that the end is near and because they love what they do, I don't expect an extended break. So, by the end of 2020 I expect a new album. Hopefully something more experimental in collaboration with Eno  / Lanois. Then they will tour in 2021 and it could be a tour connected with both the new album and the anniversary of Achtung Baby.

"Having realized that the end is near" Has the band ever stated such a thing? I don't think so. Such a statement will seem absurd if the band is still doing this 10 or 20 years from now.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
Spend Christmas with their families and friends in Dublin is highly likely to happen.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 12:47:38 AM »

Why? Why would you have them stop doing what they enjoy? They like playing and creating music and performing in front of large crowds. They have been doing this since they were children. Its like breathing to them.

Plus, calling it day after Dublin 4 sounds like a way of really sticking it to the fans down under.

Well, you're projecting your hopes and dreams onto the band. It's their life, their career, and yes, it's "our" band in a way.

I know someone who knows Sam O'Sullivan and Joe O'Herlihy and I've been told Larry has reached his limit with touring and being in the band. This was just icing on the cake because even an amateur can see that Larry's body english says it all, especially in the SOE promos. It really seems to go back to "Invisible".

But I digress...dissolving the band (as a touring entity) after Dublin 4 would be the most poetic way. End it where it all started. My strong feeling is Larry will quit the band after Dublin 4, and that'll be that. Do you really think U2's lawyers haven't built in clauses to the Live Nation contract that allows them some wiggle room in case they want to finish it early? Do you really think the tail (LN) wags the dog (U2)?

The band would still release music, maybe one last album Songs of Ascent, that has been rumored for the last 8-9 years. And anthologies and from the vault stuff in the future.

My point is also this: I know I could also be completely wrong. It really is about enjoying each U2 concert as possibly the last you'll ever see. They are closer to the end than you think.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:08:38 AM by JaraSangASongAWeapon »

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »

I agree with that, they're going to chill for a while then put Songs of Ascent out in 2028.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 01:59:25 AM »

Well, you're projecting your hopes and dreams onto the band. It's their life, their career, and yes, it's "our" band in a way.

I know someone who knows Sam O'Sullivan and Joe O'Herlihy and I've been told Larry has reached his limit with touring and being in the band. This was just icing on the cake because even an amateur can see that Larry's body english says it all, especially in the SOE promos. It really seems to go back to "Invisible".

But I digress...dissolving the band (as a touring entity) after Dublin 4 would be the most poetic way. End it where it all started. My strong feeling is Larry will quit the band after Dublin 4, and that'll be that. Do you really think U2's lawyers haven't built in clauses to the Live Nation contract that allows them some wiggle room in case they want to finish it early? Do you really think the tail (LN) wags the dog (U2)?

The band would still release music, maybe one last album Songs of Ascent, that has been rumored for the last 8-9 years. And anthologies and from the vault stuff in the future.

My point is also this: I know I could also be completely wrong. It really is about enjoying each U2 concert as possibly the last you'll ever see. They are closer to the end than you think.

Uh, maybe its you that is projecting their hopes and dreams onto the band. I've heard lots of stories about someone who know someone who knows this person or that person. Bono this or Bono that. Lots of stories. Also, you can't diagnose someone by simply watching them on TV.

But what is even more telling is saying that the band would still record if they can't tour, but then only one more album. Why only one more album? Again, it appears you are trying to end the band long before they would want to stop.

The fact is, you don't know when the band will stop or if the end is coming soon. The band will have played 185 shows by November in a period of just 3.5 years. That's the most shows they have played in 3.5 years since the 1980s. A band with members in failing health, on the ropes, etc, would not be busting out shows at a rate not seen since they were in their 20s. The band are also planning to play slightly longer shows on the upcoming tour. Not something you would do when someone is on the ropes like you claim.

Any band or artist could stop at any time for any reason. Just because U2 has reached a certain age, close to 60, does not mean they have to stop. That's just gross ageism. This type of discrimination needs to stop.

If U2 want to keep on playing in their 60s, 70s, or beyond that, they should. They sounded as good as they ever have on the Joshua Tree 2017 tour.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »
In the Q magazine legends U2 issue Edge says "Me and the other guys are not done yet", and why would Bono say in the long Rolling Stone interview about his almost-dying-incident:

Do you feel like you lucked out?
Lucked out? I am the f****** luckiest man on Earth. I didn't think that I had a fear of a fast exit. I thought it would be inconvenient 'cause I have a few albums to make  and kids to see grow up and this beautiful woman and my friends and all of that. But I was not that guy. And then suddenly you are that guy. And you think, "I don't want to leave here. There's so much more to do." And I'm blessed. Grace and some really clever people got me through, and my faith is strong.

I believe they won't stop that soon.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 06:34:40 AM »
U2 will release "Songs of Ascent" (or another album) by the end of this year and then go on tour in 2019. 15 years ago, the band sign with live nation a contract for 4 albums and 4 tours. The contract expire in 2020.
I think this is a likely scenario.   It may only be an EP, or a couple songs for a new Ďbest ofí but I suspect they have something up their sleeve for year end.