Author Topic: After the SoE tour what should the band do?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: After the SoE tour what should the band do?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think after SOE tour we will have about two years of absolutely nothing. 3 tours in 4 years means they are going to take a long break, I'd say.

I think itís something like this - however Iím less certain they will do anything. Bonoís health is an issue and I feel they have been aiming for this point in their career for a while. If itís the usual trilogy approach then Songs of Ascent May see the light of day and then I think that could be it.

If Bono's health were an issue, there would not have been any Joshua Tree tour in 2017 let along an Experience And Innocence tour in 2018. In the You're The Best Thing About Me video, Bono is eating pizza, doing shots, and drinking beer. Performance wise, he was in fantastic shape on the Joshua Tree Tour in 2017.

What point do you claim they are aiming for? The band is alive, active, having fun, and doing what they love. Why stop doing what you love doing? Staying active and engaged is the healthy thing to do!

Performance wise he was in good shape but his voice was a bit shaky, maybe the worst tour yet vocally?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »
I think after SOE tour we will have about two years of absolutely nothing. 3 tours in 4 years means they are going to take a long break, I'd say.

I think itís something like this - however Iím less certain they will do anything. Bonoís health is an issue and I feel they have been aiming for this point in their career for a while. If itís the usual trilogy approach then Songs of Ascent May see the light of day and then I think that could be it.

If Bono's health were an issue, there would not have been any Joshua Tree tour in 2017 let along an Experience And Innocence tour in 2018. In the You're The Best Thing About Me video, Bono is eating pizza, doing shots, and drinking beer. Performance wise, he was in fantastic shape on the Joshua Tree Tour in 2017.

What point do you claim they are aiming for? The band is alive, active, having fun, and doing what they love. Why stop doing what you love doing? Staying active and engaged is the healthy thing to do!

Performance wise he was in good shape but his voice was a bit shaky, maybe the worst tour yet vocally?

Not at all. I've heard Bono have difficulty over 30 years ago in live performances. The performances I saw in Washington D.C. and Philadelphia were rock solid as far as Bono's vocals go. All singers have difficult moments in live settings on tours that go on for months. Adele, who is in her 20s, has struggled with live performances.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »

Not at all. I've heard Bono have difficulty over 30 years ago in live performances. The performances I saw in Washington D.C. and Philadelphia were rock solid as far as Bono's vocals go. All singers have difficult moments in live settings on tours that go on for months. Adele, who is in her 20s, has struggled with live performances.

Im gladthe performances you saw were great, but I think most of us can agree that his difficult moments are becoming more the rule than the exception.  I know he had a bad show here and there in his 20ís, but the amount of songs he is talk-singing through these days is more than we can pretend away. He has always pushed his limits when songwriting, and the combination of that, age, and things like smoking has come to collect the bill.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
Call it a day after Dublin 4 in November, that'd be the way to go out. Announce it in a speech before 40, and ride off into the Irish mist forever.

Why? Why would you have them stop doing what they enjoy? They like playing and creating music and performing in front of large crowds. They have been doing this since they were children. Its like breathing to them.

Plus, calling it day after Dublin 4 sounds like a way of really sticking it to the fans down under.

While Iím all in favor of them having the ďrightĒ to play as long as theyíre enjoying it, Iím wondering how much they are enjoying it. Promo for SOE has been pi*s-poor, and it seems like the JT nostalgia tour might have had a lot more to do with fulfilling contractual obligations than a genuine artistic desire to go play a JT tour. The band has been virtually silent since SOE came out, at least by comparison to every album I ever remember them releasing. Has anyone seen a single photo of them together in the studio for SOE? Did they record it separately and digitally edit it together? Do you remember any other album theyíve done without articles and photos from inside the studio & recording process?

I think the end is near, and I donít think itís quite the nice ending we had hoped for. The band has meant the world to me, but I think a lot of us have stopped telling ourselves great stories about where theyíre at and whatís coming next.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »

For sure he had great shows on last yearís tour but I agree with the comment that he is talk singing through a lot of songs these days. I wasnít keen on the way he sang in 2015 but listening back to the 2017 bootlegs itís in a different league.

He does sound great on SOE and I just hope heís more consistent on this tour because the bad nights really were bad last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »

For sure he had great shows on last yearís tour but I agree with the comment that he is talk singing through a lot of songs these days. I wasnít keen on the way he sang in 2015 but listening back to the 2017 bootlegs itís in a different league.

He does sound great on SOE and I just hope heís more consistent on this tour because the bad nights really were bad last year

Bono was "Talk singing" back on the ZOO TV tour. That's nothing new at all. Its a smart thing to do to preserve ones voice during a show as well as making it through a year long tour. Otherwise, you end up canceling dozens of shows and spending time with doctors. When you play 2 hour long rock shows and do it on a tour lasting a year or more it is a struggle to prevent yourself from completely losing your voice.

You want to listen to a show where Bono's voice was really bad, listen to the Bosnia show from Popmart in 1997. In my opinion, Bono sings just as well if not better than he did 20 years ago. Plus the music they are producing as a band right now is far better than their 90s output with the exception of Achtung Baby.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2018, 08:15:18 PM »
Call it a day after Dublin 4 in November, that'd be the way to go out. Announce it in a speech before 40, and ride off into the Irish mist forever.

Why? Why would you have them stop doing what they enjoy? They like playing and creating music and performing in front of large crowds. They have been doing this since they were children. Its like breathing to them.

Plus, calling it day after Dublin 4 sounds like a way of really sticking it to the fans down under.

I think the end is near, and I donít think itís quite the nice ending we had hoped for. The band has meant the world to me, but I think a lot of us have stopped telling ourselves great stories about where theyíre at and whatís coming next.

You think the "end" is near because of their age. This "stuff" has come up time and again since about 1990 with every album and tour cycle. The band are as strong as they have ever been live since at least ZOO TV which I saw 4 times as well as listening to a full week of rehearsals for that tour. I saw the show at Hershey on ZOO TV which was the last time that opened with Sunday Bloody Sunday for a show. When Larry cracked that initial beat for the song, it was just as sharp and powerful as it was in August of 1992, 25 years earlier. The rest of the performance went the same way.

If you think last years performance calls for retirement, then you should have been calling for them to retire 26 years ago as well.

U2 are going to continue on, whether you like it or not. Its been the four of them since March of 1978, 40 years. Thats a rock that is far more difficult to crack than you think. I predict they will still be recording and touring 20 years from now!

The Rolling Stones are still touring and are launching a big stadium tour of Europe this year with Mick and Keith turning 75.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:22:27 PM by wons »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »

Bono was "Talk singing" back on the ZOO TV tour. That's nothing new at all. Its a smart thing to do to preserve ones voice during a show as well as making it through a year long tour. Otherwise, you end up canceling dozens of shows and spending time with doctors. When you play 2 hour long rock shows and do it on a tour lasting a year or more it is a struggle to prevent yourself from completely losing your voice.

You want to listen to a show where Bono's voice was really bad, listen to the Bosnia show from Popmart in 1997. In my opinion, Bono sings just as well if not better than he did 20 years ago. Plus the music they are producing as a band right now is far better than their 90s output with the exception of Achtung Baby.

Youíre missing the point. Itís not ďdid this ever happen in the past?Ē. Itís ďThis is becoming disconcertingly common.Ē

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2018, 05:18:06 AM »
While Iím all in favor of them having the ďrightĒ to play as long as theyíre enjoying it, Iím wondering how much they are enjoying it. Promo for SOE has been pi*s-poor, and it seems like the JT nostalgia tour might have had a lot more to do with fulfilling contractual obligations than a genuine artistic desire to go play a JT tour. The band has been virtually silent since SOE came out, at least by comparison to every album I ever remember them releasing. Has anyone seen a single photo of them together in the studio for SOE? Did they record it separately and digitally edit it together? Do you remember any other album theyíve done without articles and photos from inside the studio & recording process?

I don't know if it is near 'the end', but you raise a lot of good points re the band promoting the album and being in the studio together.

We've had the band releasing video after video and doing the obligatory music show, but we haven't really seen the band together as much - maybe that has more to do with Bono's 'condition'(?) though?

I don't know.

Preferably, I'd like to see the band never end, but instead release music and tour as and when the want and not due to some contractual album and tour deal.

I'd also prefer the band to stop wanting to be 'down with the kids' and be the men they are and release some, well, more 'grown up' music - they definitely still have it in them.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2018, 07:45:27 AM »
You know, I almost wonder if these last two albums sound the way they do precisely because of the Live Nation deal. I'm not familiar with the degree of control they may have over things, but I have to wonder if they pushed U2 to attempt to be more radio-friendly. It's interesting in that despite the wide variance in sounds the band has released, from punk to ambient to roots to industrial to electronic and back again, I feel like they all still sound like U2. The SO_ albums don't. Something about them just feels forced compared to the other twelve.

Offline eldercantrell@yahoo.com

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »
Nothing on SOI or SOE feels as contrived as about half of no line.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »

Youíre missing the point. Itís not ďdid this ever happen in the past?Ē. Itís ďThis is becoming disconcertingly common.Ē

According to you. But you are mistaken. This is normal and the same as it has always been. The band are still as powerful in the live setting as they were on ZOO TV.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »

I don't know if it is near 'the end', but you raise a lot of good points re the band promoting the album and being in the studio together.

We've had the band releasing video after video and doing the obligatory music show, but we haven't really seen the band together as much - maybe that has more to do with Bono's 'condition'(?) though?

I don't know.

Preferably, I'd like to see the band never end, but instead release music and tour as and when the want and not due to some contractual album and tour deal.

I'd also prefer the band to stop wanting to be 'down with the kids' and be the men they are and release some, well, more 'grown up' music - they definitely still have it in them.

How much in the studio video and pictures are there of the band in the 90s. Very little. The band have families that they spend time with, but that they leave when they go on tour. They are also at this point obviously rehearsing for the tour which is usually private.

The band have been releasing albums and touring and their own preferred pace since the late 1980s. That's what power and wealth in the music industry does for you. It gives you freedom.

The band have wanted to be popular since day 1. Its a challenge for them to write the best music they can and have it be loved by the masses. The results have been amazing and I think they will continue to do this. Its getting harder for them to remain popular because of ageism and changes in the music industry, but I think they love the challenge.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »

I don't know.

Theyírr never going to be ďdown with the kidsĒ again. It just doesnít work like that. So they might as well stop this quest that isnít leading to something good.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »

According to you. But you are mistaken. This is normal and the same as it has always been. The band are still as powerful in the live setting as they were on ZOO TV.

The condition of Bonoís voice is the same as itís always been?

Have you heard the old joke about the river in Egypt?