Author Topic: After the SoE tour what should the band do?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
Re: After the SoE tour what should the band do?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2018, 09:54:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While I’m all in favor of them having the “right” to play as long as they’re enjoying it, I’m wondering how much they are enjoying it. Promo for SOE has been pi*s-poor, and it seems like the JT nostalgia tour might have had a lot more to do with fulfilling contractual obligations than a genuine artistic desire to go play a JT tour. The band has been virtually silent since SOE came out, at least by comparison to every album I ever remember them releasing. Has anyone seen a single photo of them together in the studio for SOE? Did they record it separately and digitally edit it together? Do you remember any other album they’ve done without articles and photos from inside the studio & recording process?

I think the end is near, and I don’t think it’s quite the nice ending we had hoped for. The band has meant the world to me, but I think a lot of us have stopped telling ourselves great stories about where they’re at and what’s coming next.

I don't know if it is near 'the end', but you raise a lot of good points re the band promoting the album and being in the studio together.

We've had the band releasing video after video and doing the obligatory music show, but we haven't really seen the band together as much - maybe that has more to do with Bono's 'condition'(?) though?

I don't know.

Preferably, I'd like to see the band never end, but instead release music and tour as and when the want and not due to some contractual album and tour deal.

I'd also prefer the band to stop wanting to be 'down with the kids' and be the men they are and release some, well, more 'grown up' music - they definitely still have it in them.

How much in the studio video and pictures are there of the band in the 90s. Very little. The band have families that they spend time with, but that they leave when they go on tour. They are also at this point obviously rehearsing for the tour which is usually private.

The band have been releasing albums and touring and their own preferred pace since the late 1980s. That's what power and wealth in the music industry does for you. It gives you freedom.

The band have wanted to be popular since day 1. Its a challenge for them to write the best music they can and have it be loved by the masses. The results have been amazing and I think they will continue to do this. Its getting harder for them to remain popular because of ageism and changes in the music industry, but I think they love the challenge.

This just isn’t true. There are TONS of footage and stills from them recording in the 90’s. There were also MANY interviews where journalists visited them during the process. Bill Flanagan has a whole book about being there.

Five seconds on google proves you wrong.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
While I’m all in favor of them having the “right” to play as long as they’re enjoying it, I’m wondering how much they are enjoying it. Promo for SOE has been pi*s-poor, and it seems like the JT nostalgia tour might have had a lot more to do with fulfilling contractual obligations than a genuine artistic desire to go play a JT tour. The band has been virtually silent since SOE came out, at least by comparison to every album I ever remember them releasing. Has anyone seen a single photo of them together in the studio for SOE? Did they record it separately and digitally edit it together? Do you remember any other album they’ve done without articles and photos from inside the studio & recording process?

I think the end is near, and I don’t think it’s quite the nice ending we had hoped for. The band has meant the world to me, but I think a lot of us have stopped telling ourselves great stories about where they’re at and what’s coming next.

I don't know if it is near 'the end', but you raise a lot of good points re the band promoting the album and being in the studio together.

We've had the band releasing video after video and doing the obligatory music show, but we haven't really seen the band together as much - maybe that has more to do with Bono's 'condition'(?) though?

I don't know.

Preferably, I'd like to see the band never end, but instead release music and tour as and when the want and not due to some contractual album and tour deal.

I'd also prefer the band to stop wanting to be 'down with the kids' and be the men they are and release some, well, more 'grown up' music - they definitely still have it in them.

They’rr never going to be “down with the kids” again. It just doesn’t work like that. So they might as well stop this quest that isn’t leading to something good.

Why? Their making amazing music. If the Kids don't like it for whatever reason, so what!? This is what U2 have always done. There is the artistic side of U2 and the business side of U2. U2 have always tried to be good at both and there is no reason to stop now. Any smart business is always open to new customers no matter the circumstances. Even, if the band never has a young audience again, it would be foolish to arbitrarily cut themselves off from potential business.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »

I don't know.

How much in the studio video and pictures are there of the band in the 90s. Very little. The band have families that they spend time with, but that they leave when they go on tour. They are also at this point obviously rehearsing for the tour which is usually private.

The band have been releasing albums and touring and their own preferred pace since the late 1980s. That's what power and wealth in the music industry does for you. It gives you freedom.

The band have wanted to be popular since day 1. Its a challenge for them to write the best music they can and have it be loved by the masses. The results have been amazing and I think they will continue to do this. Its getting harder for them to remain popular because of ageism and changes in the music industry, but I think they love the challenge.

This just isn’t true. There are TONS of footage and stills from them recording in the 90’s. There were also MANY interviews where journalists visited them during the process. Bill Flanagan has a whole book about being there.

Five seconds on google proves you wrong.

At the time in the 90s though, most people were in the dark as to what U2 were doing while they were away. The internet was in its infancy if you had access to it.  Bill's book came out several years after the recording of Achtung Baby. So by then it was history of what happened many years ago.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »
I think after SOE tour we will have about two years of absolutely nothing. 3 tours in 4 years means they are going to take a long break, I'd say.

I think it’s something like this - however I’m less certain they will do anything. Bono’s health is an issue and I feel they have been aiming for this point in their career for a while. If it’s the usual trilogy approach then Songs of Ascent May see the light of day and then I think that could be it.

If Bono's health were an issue, there would not have been any Joshua Tree tour in 2017 let along an Experience And Innocence tour in 2018. In the You're The Best Thing About Me video, Bono is eating pizza, doing shots, and drinking beer. Performance wise, he was in fantastic shape on the Joshua Tree Tour in 2017.

What point do you claim they are aiming for? The band is alive, active, having fun, and doing what they love. Why stop doing what you love doing? Staying active and engaged is the healthy thing to do!

Performance wise he was in good shape but his voice was a bit shaky, maybe the worst tour yet vocally?

Not at all. I've heard Bono have difficulty over 30 years ago in live performances. The performances I saw in Washington D.C. and Philadelphia were rock solid as far as Bono's vocals go. All singers have difficult moments in live settings on tours that go on for months. Adele, who is in her 20s, has struggled with live performances.

For sure he had great shows on last year’s tour but I agree with the comment that he is talk singing through a lot of songs these days. I wasn’t keen on the way he sang in 2015 but listening back to the 2017 bootlegs it’s in a different league.

He does sound great on SOE and I just hope he’s more consistent on this tour because the bad nights really were bad last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bono was "Talk singing" back on the ZOO TV tour. That's nothing new at all. Its a smart thing to do to preserve ones voice during a show as well as making it through a year long tour. Otherwise, you end up canceling dozens of shows and spending time with doctors. When you play 2 hour long rock shows and do it on a tour lasting a year or more it is a struggle to prevent yourself from completely losing your voice.

You want to listen to a show where Bono's voice was really bad, listen to the Bosnia show from Popmart in 1997. In my opinion, Bono sings just as well if not better than he did 20 years ago. Plus the music they are producing as a band right now is far better than their 90s output with the exception of Achtung Baby.

You’re missing the point. It’s not “did this ever happen in the past?”. It’s “This is becoming disconcertingly common.”

According to you. But you are mistaken. This is normal and the same as it has always been. The band are still as powerful in the live setting as they were on ZOO TV.

The condition of Bono’s voice is the same as it’s always been?

Have you heard the old joke about the river in Egypt?

No, but as a fan who has seen the band 21 times and owns hundreds of bootlegs, I know what I'm talking about. Is it like it was during the Lovetown and Joshua Tree Tours, no. He had to change the way he was singing or risk doing permanent damage to his voice. The talk singing thing started on ZOO TV as well as conserving his voice when needed. Guess you don't remember the U2 concerts that were cancelled on the Lovetown tour do to Bono's vocal problems. Notice that there have not been any canceled concerts due to vocal problems since the Elevation tour.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2018, 04:23:05 AM »
I'd say it's pretty obvious they'll take a long break. Can't remember what the event was, But adam made an appearence by skype....it was after SOI tour, He did mention they'd take another direction after SOE + Tour. So, as has become so mundane to read over and over, the people who seemingly want the band to pack up will be disappointed! They will carry on, It just depends what they want to do in terms of musical direction. I get the impression larry is a bit lukewarm about SOE, But i think they need to just let Edge be completely open on the next album, And not worry too much about radio play etc, The music world has changed, they know that, they aren't stupid. So we'll see! I would love to see them do what bands used to do where they'd have the studio for 3 months to make an album. Make it in 3 months and just put it out without worrying too much about it. We've seen in the 00's that a few songs in their rough cut were amazing

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2018, 06:16:02 AM »

Studio stuff and interviews and photos of the band together were all over the place during the promotion of NLOH - both before and after the album - and that was before the 2 So albums so it definitely has been cut back.

And I don't think the 'masses' have thought U2 are amazing over the last decade or so. You mention ageism and 'changes in the music business' well I think you're right about ageism, but those 'changes in the music business' have been because the 'masses' have changed and found new things more important.

And the 'masses' have always been majority youth-based. The youth of today are a different breed, as with every generation of 'youth', and that majority are after different things from the generation before them - that's just life and the way generations 'work'.

I still think U2 have it in them to write great songs and sell out stadiums, but to be 'hip' and 'cool' and 'current'? Nah. I don't want to see Bono 'dad-dancing' in front of teenagers for fear of ridicule.

Yes, U2 have always wanted to be popular - and there's nothing wrong with that - but at what cost to their musical heritage and integrity?

WOWY might be as 'radio friendly' as YTBTAB but as songs they are miles apart in class and song writing - age and wisdom hasn't improved upon that in this case.

I'll just end by saying this -

'U2 wrote Love Is Blindness'.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »

Studio stuff and interviews and photos of the band together were all over the place during the promotion of NLOH - both before and after the album - and that was before the 2 So albums so it definitely has been cut back.

And I don't think the 'masses' have thought U2 are amazing over the last decade or so. You mention ageism and 'changes in the music business' well I think you're right about ageism, but those 'changes in the music business' have been because the 'masses' have changed and found new things more important.

And the 'masses' have always been majority youth-based. The youth of today are a different breed, as with every generation of 'youth', and that majority are after different things from the generation before them - that's just life and the way generations 'work'.

I still think U2 have it in them to write great songs and sell out stadiums, but to be 'hip' and 'cool' and 'current'? Nah. I don't want to see Bono 'dad-dancing' in front of teenagers for fear of ridicule.

Yes, U2 have always wanted to be popular - and there's nothing wrong with that - but at what cost to their musical heritage and integrity?

WOWY might be as 'radio friendly' as YTBTAB but as songs they are miles apart in class and song writing - age and wisdom hasn't improved upon that in this case.

Right. I can go on YouTube and find you videos of them recording No Line in five seconds. I’m not even convinced they were in the same room together for SOE, and I’m not joking about that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:21:09 PM by This Dave »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2018, 10:52:16 PM »

Right. I can go in YouTube and find you videos of them recording No Line in five seconds. I’m not even convinced they were in the same room together for SOE, and I’m not joking about that.

U2 were often not in the same room together when they recorded Boy and the Unforgettable Fire. Guitar, Bass, drums and vocals often get recorded separately with people in different rooms in a studio. I think its fine if U2 don't have cameras and photographs where ever they go. This is not a reality TV show.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »

The masses have found multiple ways of getting music for free or nearly free and that is the biggest change that has happened since the year 2000. The top 100 albums of 2017 sold less than 20% of what the top 100 albums sold in 2001. Technology is a job killer. What has been good for consuming masses has been terrible for artist.

As for U2, its their band, and they will take it where they want to. I think by now the band know who they are and what they want. I think their doing awesome and are right where they should be, even though the general public and casual fans have now walked away. Even if they don't get those crowds back and are stuck with just the hardcore fanbase, I think in general they have made the right decisions when it comes to recording music and playing live.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 03:10:10 AM »

The masses have found multiple ways of getting music for free or nearly free and that is the biggest change that has happened since the year 2000. The top 100 albums of 2017 sold less than 20% of what the top 100 albums sold in 2001. Technology is a job killer. What has been good for consuming masses has been terrible for artist.

As for U2, its their band, and they will take it where they want to. I think by now the band know who they are and what they want. I think their doing awesome and are right where they should be, even though the general public and casual fans have now walked away. Even if they don't get those crowds back and are stuck with just the hardcore fanbase, I think in general they have made the right decisions when it comes to recording music and playing live.

Personally, record sales mean nothing to me as Beiber and Swift and Sheeran all sell zillions and their musical output is awful - to me anyway - so it's more important the quality of that output from 'my band' U2 and a lot of that output has been subpar IMO.

You say it's U2 and they take it to where they want to, well if that means that the band want to take it into the kid's charts then I think that a lot of the long-term fans can say that we wish that they wouldn't.

Your opinion that the band has 'made the right decisions when it comes to recording music and playing live', well again I disagree (and a forum is all about having differing opinions and viewpoints) because the band themselves seem to have disowned NLOTH just as quickly as they disowned POP which are both albums the band 'wanted' to record and seemed happy and proud to do so.

And regarding 'playing live'. Over the last few tours the band have totally ignored certain parts of the world - down under for one - and here in the UK we've had them play ONE city PER country within the United Kingdom. Actually the SoI tour had them playing only one venue in London, one venue in Scotland and another one in NI (Dublin is not part of the UK) and The Joshua Tree Tour 2018 had them playing only in London Twickenham. And their UK fan base is the second biggest next to the US!

Actually the next tour has just them just playing one venue again in Manchester, London and NI!

So I agree that they've toured more but they haven't toured enough venues - outside of America - to be fair to their fans.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2018, 05:14:16 AM »
I always thought that North America and Europe were seen as equal in terms of venue coverage over a geographical area.  OK so there is usually 2 American legs to the 1 European leg on tours, but that's nothing new - it's been like this for a number of tours now.

I look at it that the UK and Republic of Ireland gets more coverage than many other countries.  So for this tour, the UK gets 6 dates (2x each of London, Manchester and Belfast) and Ireland gets 4 dates in Dublin (understandably) - so that's 10 dates in total on mainland Britain and the island of Ireland.

Germany is getting 6 dates over 3 cities, and France and Italy are getting 4 dates in 1 city, and Spain/Portugal 4 dates in 2 cities. 

You are right in that a number of countries are missing out (such as Sweden, Poland, Greece, Belgium) on the European leg, but not that the UK/Irish dates are disproportionate - far from it.  Even if the British fans somehow don't seem as 'passionate' as the French or Italian fans for example.

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
I always thought that North America and Europe were seen as equal in terms of venue coverage over a geographical area.  OK so there is usually 2 American legs to the 1 European leg on tours, but that's nothing new - it's been like this for a number of tours now.

I look at it that the UK and Republic of Ireland gets more coverage than many other countries.  So for this tour, the UK gets 6 dates (2x each of London, Manchester and Belfast) and Ireland gets 4 dates in Dublin (understandably) - so that's 10 dates in total on mainland Britain and the island of Ireland.

Germany is getting 6 dates over 3 cities, and France and Italy are getting 4 dates in 1 city, and Spain/Portugal 4 dates in 2 cities. 

You are right in that a number of countries are missing out (such as Sweden, Poland, Greece, Belgium) on the European leg, but not that the UK/Irish dates are disproportionate - far from it.  Even if the British fans somehow don't seem as 'passionate' as the French or Italian fans for example.

The problem is anyone outside of the UK sees it as one country, but we see it as 4 - we couldn't be more different than our 'nieghbours' and strongly defend our own Englishness, Scottishness etc. It's like calling Scandinavia one country and therefore Sweden should be happy that Denmark have 2 concerts played - you see my point.

And you note that the 'UK' has 6 dates, but - for example - Manchester  has 2 but why don't they play Manchester and Liverpool? And they could do that with London making it and Birmingham - again, you see my point.

All those cities have major arena and stadium venues.

And the fact that 'it's been like this for a number of tours now' doesn't make it right.

One last point - you said 'Even if the British fans somehow don't seem as 'passionate' as the French or Italian fans for example' I'm sorry but that's just your opinion. I think we can be just as loud and passionate as any country. I had to travel to Glasgow for the Innocence tour and those 2 nights have been noted as being 2 of the best - if not THE best - of that tour. But again, that's just fans opinions.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Take a break, and then if they want to continue as a band, carry on with a new album and tour.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »

Personally, record sales mean nothing to me as Beiber and Swift and Sheeran all sell zillions and their musical output is awful - to me anyway - so it's more important the quality of that output from 'my band' U2 and a lot of that output has been subpar IMO.

You say it's U2 and they take it to where they want to, well if that means that the band want to take it into the kid's charts then I think that a lot of the long-term fans can say that we wish that they wouldn't.

Your opinion that the band has 'made the right decisions when it comes to recording music and playing live', well again I disagree (and a forum is all about having differing opinions and viewpoints) because the band themselves seem to have disowned NLOTH just as quickly as they disowned POP which are both albums the band 'wanted' to record and seemed happy and proud to do so.

And regarding 'playing live'. Over the last few tours the band have totally ignored certain parts of the world - down under for one - and here in the UK we've had them play ONE city PER country within the United Kingdom. Actually the SoI tour had them playing only one venue in London, one venue in Scotland and another one in NI (Dublin is not part of the UK) and The Joshua Tree Tour 2018 had them playing only in London Twickenham. And their UK fan base is the second biggest next to the US!

Actually the next tour has just them just playing one venue again in Manchester, London and NI!

So I agree that they've toured more but they haven't toured enough venues - outside of America - to be fair to their fans.

The band vocally disowned Pop rather quickly. Within 18 months of the albums release. The tour was over by then and the album was out of the charts. If they disowned NLOTH, they have not been very vocal about it and it certainly was not right after the album/tour promotion phase.

In the UK, the fanbase has been dropping since the Vertigo Tour. U2 actually played to more fans on the Vertigo tour than they did on the 360 tour. The new album only made it to #5 in the UK this year.

U2 have bigger fan bases now in Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, Canada and the United States than they do the UK. Far from being the second biggest to to the United States, the UK barley makes the top 10 now when it comes to U2.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »

The problem is anyone outside of the UK sees it as one country, but we see it as 4 - we couldn't be more different than our 'nieghbours' and strongly defend our own Englishness, Scottishness etc. It's like calling Scandinavia one country and therefore Sweden should be happy that Denmark have 2 concerts played - you see my point.

And you note that the 'UK' has 6 dates, but - for example - Manchester  has 2 but why don't they play Manchester and Liverpool? And they could do that with London making it and Birmingham - again, you see my point.

All those cities have major arena and stadium venues.

And the fact that 'it's been like this for a number of tours now' doesn't make it right.

One last point - you said 'Even if the British fans somehow don't seem as 'passionate' as the French or Italian fans for example' I'm sorry but that's just your opinion. I think we can be just as loud and passionate as any country. I had to travel to Glasgow for the Innocence tour and those 2 nights have been noted as being 2 of the best - if not THE best - of that tour. But again, that's just fans opinions.

Italian fans are the most passionate by far.