Author Topic: After the SoE tour what should the band do?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Re: After the SoE tour what should the band do?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Italian fans are the most passionate by far.

And your proof for this is? A single DVD? A couple of live recordings? Or have you been to every Italian concert and witnessed this?

I could say that about the UK, but it's all subjective.

And you can't say because the UK fan base has dropped that they still don't have a massive fan-base for tours. The standard fan-base versus a fan-base that goes to concerts are two totally different things - and 2 totally different fan-bases.

And I don't think it's really worth starting a 'my country's fan-base is bigger than yours' discussion because all that does is bring ill-feeling and can only lead to misunderstanding - and can get really boring.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:58 PM »
While I’m all in favor of them having the “right” to play as long as they’re enjoying it, I’m wondering how much they are enjoying it. Promo for SOE has been pi*s-poor, and it seems like the JT nostalgia tour might have had a lot more to do with fulfilling contractual obligations than a genuine artistic desire to go play a JT tour. The band has been virtually silent since SOE came out, at least by comparison to every album I ever remember them releasing. Has anyone seen a single photo of them together in the studio for SOE? Did they record it separately and digitally edit it together? Do you remember any other album they’ve done without articles and photos from inside the studio & recording process?

I think the end is near, and I don’t think it’s quite the nice ending we had hoped for. The band has meant the world to me, but I think a lot of us have stopped telling ourselves great stories about where they’re at and what’s coming next.

I don't know if it is near 'the end', but you raise a lot of good points re the band promoting the album and being in the studio together.

We've had the band releasing video after video and doing the obligatory music show, but we haven't really seen the band together as much - maybe that has more to do with Bono's 'condition'(?) though?

I don't know.

Preferably, I'd like to see the band never end, but instead release music and tour as and when the want and not due to some contractual album and tour deal.

I'd also prefer the band to stop wanting to be 'down with the kids' and be the men they are and release some, well, more 'grown up' music - they definitely still have it in them.

How much in the studio video and pictures are there of the band in the 90s. Very little. The band have families that they spend time with, but that they leave when they go on tour. They are also at this point obviously rehearsing for the tour which is usually private.

The band have been releasing albums and touring and their own preferred pace since the late 1980s. That's what power and wealth in the music industry does for you. It gives you freedom.

The band have wanted to be popular since day 1. Its a challenge for them to write the best music they can and have it be loved by the masses. The results have been amazing and I think they will continue to do this. Its getting harder for them to remain popular because of ageism and changes in the music industry, but I think they love the challenge.

This just isn’t true. There are TONS of footage and stills from them recording in the 90’s. There were also MANY interviews where journalists visited them during the process. Bill Flanagan has a whole book about being there.

Five seconds on google proves you wrong.

At the time in the 90s though, most people were in the dark as to what U2 were doing while they were away. The internet was in its infancy if you had access to it.  Bill's book came out several years after the recording of Achtung Baby. So by then it was history of what happened many years ago.

Show me two photographs of the band together in the studio recording SOE and I’ll retract my point.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
How much in the studio video and pictures are there of the band in the 90s. Very little. The band have families that they spend time with, but that they leave when they go on tour. They are also at this point obviously rehearsing for the tour which is usually private.

The band have been releasing albums and touring and their own preferred pace since the late 1980s. That's what power and wealth in the music industry does for you. It gives you freedom.

The band have wanted to be popular since day 1. Its a challenge for them to write the best music they can and have it be loved by the masses. The results have been amazing and I think they will continue to do this. Its getting harder for them to remain popular because of ageism and changes in the music industry, but I think they love the challenge.

Studio stuff and interviews and photos of the band together were all over the place during the promotion of NLOH - both before and after the album - and that was before the 2 So albums so it definitely has been cut back.

And I don't think the 'masses' have thought U2 are amazing over the last decade or so. You mention ageism and 'changes in the music business' well I think you're right about ageism, but those 'changes in the music business' have been because the 'masses' have changed and found new things more important.

And the 'masses' have always been majority youth-based. The youth of today are a different breed, as with every generation of 'youth', and that majority are after different things from the generation before them - that's just life and the way generations 'work'.

I still think U2 have it in them to write great songs and sell out stadiums, but to be 'hip' and 'cool' and 'current'? Nah. I don't want to see Bono 'dad-dancing' in front of teenagers for fear of ridicule.

Yes, U2 have always wanted to be popular - and there's nothing wrong with that - but at what cost to their musical heritage and integrity?

WOWY might be as 'radio friendly' as YTBTAB but as songs they are miles apart in class and song writing - age and wisdom hasn't improved upon that in this case.

I'll just end by saying this -

'U2 wrote Love Is Blindness'.

Right. I can go in YouTube and find you videos of them recording No Line in five seconds. I’m not even convinced they were in the same room together for SOE, and I’m not joking about that.

U2 were often not in the same room together when they recorded Boy and the Unforgettable Fire. Guitar, Bass, drums and vocals often get recorded separately with people in different rooms in a studio. I think its fine if U2 don't have cameras and photographs where ever they go. This is not a reality TV show.

Are you just messing with me, or do you really think I meant “not in the same room” meaning “Larry’s drums were in a soundproof booth for better recording quality”?

Online wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »

And your proof for this is? A single DVD? A couple of live recordings? Or have you been to every Italian concert and witnessed this?

I could say that about the UK, but it's all subjective.

And you can't say because the UK fan base has dropped that they still don't have a massive fan-base for tours. The standard fan-base versus a fan-base that goes to concerts are two totally different things - and 2 totally different fan-bases.

And I don't think it's really worth starting a 'my country's fan-base is bigger than yours' discussion because all that does is bring ill-feeling and can only lead to misunderstanding - and can get really boring.

Well, in terms of the "fanbase that goes to concerts" its dropped based on the boxoffice results. The album buying fanbase seems to have dropped to since the new album peaked at #5 in the UK.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »

You're absolutely right! Italian fans but South American fans also. I would even say that South Amerian fans are even a bit more passionate than Italians.

If someone doesn't believe: just watch a concert in South America or Italy on Youtube. Crazy  ;D

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »

You're absolutely right! Italian fans but South American fans also. I would even say that South Amerian fans are even a bit more passionate than Italians.

If someone doesn't believe: just watch a concert in South America or Italy on Youtube. Crazy  ;D

I agree.    Have to admit that catching U2 in Italy would be pretty darn cool.