Author Topic: Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?
« on: March 06, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
I know this would be a hard pill for the band and some fans to swallow, but since the battle for relevancy is over (or it should be) is it time for U2 to simply tour their hits?

After experiencing the Joshua Tree 30 Anniversary Tour, I say, "Heck Yeah!" 

They have made it longer than other bands have with new material, and that is something to be said.  It is simply time now to embrace where they are at in their musical journey, in my opinion.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
They'd have to shake off this mindset of being "relevant" and trying for hits.
But yeah, a greatest hits tour would pull in 3x the punters than new music

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know this would be a hard pill for the band and some fans to swallow, but since the battle for relevancy is over (or it should be) is it time for U2 to simply tour their hits?

After experiencing the Joshua Tree 30 Anniversary Tour, I say, "Heck Yeah!" 

They have made it longer than other bands have with new material, and that is something to be said.  It is simply time now to embrace where they are at in their musical journey, in my opinion.

That sounds boring as hell. What is the most exiting thing is the new stuff and hearing it live. People who are really into the band will appreciate that, plus the band would definitely prefer it because they are artist and love creating new music. Its what they do.

U2 can still fill stadiums in big cities with their new songs. In some places around the world, they would be booked in stadiums no matter what they would do.

Plus, there is always the chance that eventually, one of their new songs will crack the charts and be popular like Vertigo and Beautiful Day were. We've all heard the old songs many times. What is most exciting is what is new.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »

The band has wanted to be relevant and tried for hits since day one! Why stop now.

More importantly, as artist, why would they stop creating and playing new music? It won't happen. Its what they love and do.

Casual fans will celebrate a greatest hits tour, but the more dedicated fans and the band will want to continue the journey into new music and new live shows with that music.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »

The band has wanted to be relevant and tried for hits since day one! Why stop now.

More importantly, as artist, why would they stop creating and playing new music? It won't happen. Its what they love and do.

Casual fans will celebrate a greatest hits tour, but the more dedicated fans and the band will want to continue the journey into new music and new live shows with that music.

Do you have to like their new music to be a dedicated fan?  Okay for those who get to see them frequently and go on the journey but they havent been here for 8 or 9 years and I never hear them on the radio at all. We didnt get the JT tour so yeah I would personally love a greatest hit tour and they can include some of their new music as well. 

They don't have to play all the hits but also include some of their older music, ones that they never play as much live perhaps but is still great music.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:24:26 AM by summerholly »

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
In my opinion, U2 are already doing greatest hits tours, disguised by putting out new albums.
If you really look at it, U2 sing about 6-8 new songs from the album their are promoting and the rest of the set list is just an barrage of greatest hits that never change, never mind during the same tour even from tour to tour.
That is why the continue to sell out when touring new albums because people know that U2 will always sing the big hit songs and don't mind sitting through the 6-8 new tunes.  That is why 360 tour was soo successful regardless of NLOTH not.
The one time they wanted to do something different was on the I&E tour when they first promoted it as 2 nights, 2 different shows and we all know that didn't happen and why? we all know that Willie Williams said the band were worried about NOT GETTING IN ENOUGH HITS INTO THE SET.
That is why this tour will be the same. We will get about 8 new songs, if that and then a barrage of the usual to satisfy the casual fans.  the casual fans that see U2 know they don't have to worry about U2 pulling out a Springsteen or Pearl for example who change their set from night to night and don't always play the big and popular songs.
The only thing that is keeping maybe people from going to the show is the price at least in the US, and not what they are going to sing, even with a new album because people know they are going to get more than enough big hits to satisfy themselves.
Believe me, when U2 said they are thinking about not playing anything off of the Joshua Tree because they just toured it last year, it will not happen, just like that 2 nights, 2 different shows.  Don't worry casual fans, guaranteed you will get Streets, WOWY and ISHFWILF at the very least.
But I hope I'm wrong and U2 try something different with their set list rather than playing the same old same old, but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:45:18 AM by boom boom »

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »

Do you have to like their new music to be a dedicated fan?  Okay for those who get to see them frequently and go on the journey but they havent been here for 8 or 9 years and I never hear them on the radio at all. We didnt get the JT tour so yeah I would personally love a greatest hit tour and they can include some of their new music as well. 

They don't have to play all the hits but also include some of their older music, ones that they never play as much live perhaps but is still great music.

I would say yes. The band plays old songs at all their shows even when promoting a new album. Australia/New Zealand often get skipped do to the distance, cost, and time involved with playing there. But they will definitely be coming in early 2019, but its not going to be the JT tour. They were originally only going to one show. It got expanded to 10 and then 50. It was for the 30th anniversary of the release of the album. By the time they get down there it will have been 32 years since the Joshua Tree. The band by then will be looking to finishing out the E&I tour and then taking a break.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:42 AM »
In my opinion, U2 are already doing greatest hits tours, disguised by putting out new albums.
If you really look at it, U2 sing about 6-8 new songs from the album their are promoting and the rest of the set list is just an barrage of greatest hits that never change, never mind during the same tour even from tour to tour.
That is why the continue to sell out when touring new albums because people know that U2 will always sing the big hit songs and don't mind sitting through the 6-8 new tunes.  That is why 360 tour was soo successful regardless of NLOTH not.
The one time they wanted to do something different was on the I&E tour when they first promoted it as 2 nights, 2 different shows and we all know that didn't happen and why? we all know that Willie Williams said the band were worried about NOT GETTING IN ENOUGH HITS INTO THE SET.
That is why this tour will be the same. We will get about 8 new songs, if that and then a barrage of the usual to satisfy the casual fans.  the casual fans that see U2 know they don't have to worry about U2 pulling out a Springsteen or Pearl for example who change their set from night to night and don't always play the big and popular songs.
The only thing that is keeping maybe people from going to the show is the price at least in the US, and not what they are going to sing, even with a new album because people know they are going to get more than enough big hits to satisfy themselves.
Believe me, when U2 said they are thinking about not playing anything off of the Joshua Tree because they just toured it last year, it will not happen, just like that 2 nights, 2 different shows.  Don't worry casual fans, guaranteed you will get Streets, WOWY and ISHFWILF at the very least.
But I hope I'm wrong and U2 try something different with their set list rather than playing the same old same old, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, 8 songs is at least 1/3 of the setlist. Most artist would not perform more brand new songs than that from their latest album. The most U2 ever did was 10 songs from Achtung Baby on the ZOO TV tour which was nearly half of the set list at that time. So 8 songs is normal from an album of 10 to 12 songs, although the latest has 13 plus some additional tracks on the delux copy.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 06:24:09 AM »

I would say yes. The band plays old songs at all their shows even when promoting a new album. Australia/New Zealand often get skipped do to the distance, cost, and time involved with playing there. But they will definitely be coming in early 2019, but its not going to be the JT tour. They were originally only going to one show. It got expanded to 10 and then 50. It was for the 30th anniversary of the release of the album. By the time they get down there it will have been 32 years since the Joshua Tree. The band by then will be looking to finishing out the E&I tour and then taking a break.

Well I guess I am a casual fan then! even though I like way more than just their hits.  I like whole albums of their music and the concepts and driving forces around them but I just don't personally connect as well with their last couple of albums! 

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:19:38 AM »
When I think about the other artists and bands from U2's era and before, it is their greatest hits that make them relevant in the latter part of their career.

McCartney, Springsteen, The Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, (Gosh what older artists and bands are still doing stadium tours?), etc... are getting people to their concerts and creating new fans from their greatest hits, not by making new music and trying to tour those albums.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
It is time for a "deep cuts" tour!

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »
When I think about the other artists and bands from U2's era and before, it is their greatest hits that make them relevant in the latter part of their career.

McCartney, Springsteen, The Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, (Gosh what older artists and bands are still doing stadium tours?), etc... are getting people to their concerts and creating new fans from their greatest hits, not by making new music and trying to tour those albums.

The overwhelming majority of the fans that go to see those artist are older dedicated fans, not new young fans. That's why those artist are unable to attract the large crowds they did at the height of their careers. They are no longer producing new music that is popular. Having a few hits with new music would dramatically increase the number of people going to see those artist.

U2 have experienced this themselves. A mass influx of fans with the hits on the Joshua Tree, Rattle And Hum and Achtung Baby resulting in sellout stadium tours. Then the failure of Pop and large numbers of less than half full stadiums. Then the rebound with All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and a return to stadiums and record setting attendance.

But with Songs Of Innocence and Songs of Experience, U2 have returned to the old low point of the Pop years and are experiencing problems maintaining the heights they achieved in the 00s. They were going to do 8 arena shows in the Los Angeles area on the Innocence And Experience Tour in 2015, but that had to be cut down to just 5 shows because of lack of demand.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »
Yes I am an older fan and would prefer to go to a show weighted with their older music and I don't mean just the hits. I just find their newer music a bit bland and uninteresting.  I loved watching The Edge do his thing on guitar and adding that unique quality to the music and I just don't get that same excitement with the new stuff.  I probably would not go to an E and I concert personally particularly if it costs a lot.

Bono goes on about how current music lacks the guitar and is too girly for his taste (which would not have been my choice of words) blah blah but I find their current music somewhat lacking on the rock front too or their unique sound that first attracted me to the band that stood out amongst the other music of the time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:17:14 PM by summerholly »

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
Yes I am an older fan and would prefer to go to a show weighted with their older music and I don't mean just the hits. I just find their newer music a bit bland and uninteresting.  I loved watching The Edge do his thing on guitar and adding that unique quality to the music and I just don't get that same excitement with the new stuff.  I probably would not go to an E and I concert personally particularly if it costs a lot.

Bono goes on about how current music lacks the guitar and is too girly for his taste (which would not have been my choice of words) blah blah but I find their current music somewhat lacking on the rock front too or their unique sound that first attracted me to the band that stood out amongst the other music of the time.

1. The Edge is still doing guitar on every U2 song
2. The music they make now is not dramatically different from anything they have done in their career, when you think about it.
3. The most new songs they will do from the new album is 8, at most 10. That still leaves room for 15 or 16 older songs.
4. Do you really want to pass up seeing the band just because 1/3 or 1/4 of the setlist will be from the new album?
5. Even if you don't like the new songs on record, when you hear the live versions, you may change your mind about the songs. U2 live is a different animal from U2 studio.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 01:05:12 AM »

1. The Edge is still doing guitar on every U2 song
2. The music they make now is not dramatically different from anything they have done in their career, when you think about it.
3. The most new songs they will do from the new album is 8, at most 10. That still leaves room for 15 or 16 older songs.
4. Do you really want to pass up seeing the band just because 1/3 or 1/4 of the setlist will be from the new album?
5. Even if you don't like the new songs on record, when you hear the live versions, you may change your mind about the songs. U2 live is a different animal from U2 studio.

Yes the Edge is doing guitar but somehow to my ears the sound of U2 is very different from those earlier years.  Just how I hear it.  New Years day for example really highlights to me the The Edge doing his thing, and a lot of those earlier songs. The old music of the eighties and nineties (excluding Pop)and some of the earlier 2000's  still excites me the new doesn't.  I still get palpitations at the opening sequence of One lol and I love Wild horses and All I Want Is You. 

I haven't made up my mind about seeing the band.  I am sure they would do more E and I songs than that on the tour? maybe not.  Haha me getting old and set in my ways.  My fear is that they play mainly new stuff and then trot out 3 or 4 well worn hits. Things have to really good before I make the effort, it is such a logistical nightmare to get to see any band. David Gilmour would get me to make the trip, U2 possibly.

Yes I realise a live U2 is where they shine, they are difficult to resist.  Well they wont be coming here for another year so I can decide when I see what their set lists are likely to look like.  If I knew that they were playing mainly their older music I would do what it took to get to see them, I guess that is the difference. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:14:10 AM by summerholly »