Author Topic: Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 03:14:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
.... is it time for U2 to simply tour their hits?

After experiencing the Joshua Tree 30 Anniversary Tour, I say, "Heck Yeah!"

But what was it about TJT tour that excited you so much? Was it WTSHNN, ISHFWILF & WOWY, the greatest hits from the album?

I didn't get to see TJT tour, but for me I'd have loved to see Exit, OTH, RHMT & RTSS the most. Yes, TJT album was popular in the day with the casuals, but that was a long time ago. How many will still be familiar with these 4 songs?

If it's going to be a greatest hits tour, catering for the casuals, it's going to have the big 3 from TJT, plus One, Beautiful Day, SBS, Pride, NYD, IWF, Vertigo, Elevation, The Fly, Mysterious Ways.

Look familiar? Mostly the same old warhorses. Personally, I could do without seeing most of them for quite some time, or only sporadically, not all in the same show. Though I'm always happy to experience Streets live, & would love to see The Fly return.

So no greatest hits tour for me thanks.

I enjoy the new stuff (the last two albums), but not too much else since 2000. So I'm happy to see shows with i+e songs.

But my favourite albums are the big 2 & TUF. Plus I enjoy plenty of songs from the other pre-2000 albums.

I don't need songs from the new album, & I don't need deep cuts. But many of the songs I'd like to hear won't be that familiar with casual fans anymore. Songs like Zoo Station, Acrobat, UV (though it's had a good run lately), Love Is Blindness, Zooropa, Gone, Mofo, DYFL, Please, Exit, OTH, RTSS, TUF, ASOH, Bad, AIWIY, God Part II, Heartland, Kite, Two Hearts, Drowning Man, A Day Without Me, plus many more..... Jeez they've got some good tunes, I could continue that list a lot more!

Playing full albums at concerts? Yeah, sure, I'd be up for that. Though to keep the casuals happy I'd think it would have to be TJT or AB.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:32:17 AM by d.darroch »

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 05:10:08 AM »
I’d stop buying tickets if they did a greatest hits show. That work mark the end of my fandom from a live perspective.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »

But what was it about TJT tour that excited you so much? Was it WTSHNN, ISHFWILF & WOWY, the greatest hits from the album?

I didn't get to see TJT tour, but for me I'd have loved to see Exit, OTH, RHMT & RTSS the most. Yes, TJT album was popular in the day with the casuals, but that was a long time ago. How many will still be familiar with these 4 songs?

If it's going to be a greatest hits tour, catering for the casuals, it's going to have the big 3 from TJT, plus One, Beautiful Day, SBS, Pride, NYD, IWF, Vertigo, Elevation, The Fly, Mysterious Ways.

Look familiar? Mostly the same old warhorses. Personally, I could do without seeing most of them for quite some time, or only sporadically, not all in the same show. Though I'm always happy to experience Streets live, & would love to see The Fly return.

I enjoy the new stuff (the last two albums), but not too much else since 2000. So I'm happy to see shows with i+e songs.

But my favourite albums are the big 2 & TUF. Plus I enjoy plenty of songs from the other pre-2000 albums.

I don't need songs from the new album, & I don't need deep cuts. But many of the songs I'd like to hear won't be that familiar with casual fans anymore. Songs like Zoo Station, Acrobat, UV (though it's had a good run lately), Love Is Blindness, Zooropa, Gone, Mofo, DYFL, Please, Exit, OTH, RTSS, TUF, ASOH, Bad, AIWIY, God Part II, Heartland, Kite, Two Hearts, Drowning Man, A Day Without Me, plus many more..... Jeez they've got some good tunes, I could continue that list a lot more!

Playing full albums at concerts? Yeah, sure, I'd be up for that. Though to keep the casuals happy I'd think it would have to be TJT or AB.

What would really make me excited about this tour is if they only played Songs from the last two albums. First half of the concert is Songs Of Innocence, second half is Songs Of Experience. For me that would be really exciting and so different from anything they have done before. I guess it would pi*s a lot of people off, but I think it would be so cool and so bold!

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 07:35:46 PM »

What would really make me excited about this tour is if they only played Songs from the last two albums. First half of the concert is Songs Of Innocence, second half is Songs Of Experience. For me that would be really exciting and so different from anything they have done before. I guess it would pi*s a lot of people off, but I think it would be so cool and so bold!

I can imagine people could feel like that if they have been able to go to all their concerts over the years.  Last time they played here was 8 or 9 years ago so I  would really like to hear a range of music across all the decades.  Really U2 are wealthy enough and old enough please themselves.  It wouldn't pi*s me off because I really don't get to too invested in that sort of stuff, but I would not be going to a concert with just their last 2 albums because I am not really in to their latest music. I would buy a new lens for my camera or something  instead lol.  But I would imagine there would be enough who would embrace the concept.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:41:39 PM by summerholly »

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
Every U2 show, no matter which tour, is essentially a greatest hits show. You will hear Streets, WOWY, Vertigo, Elevation, One, etc. It's like, you go to a Stones show you won't not hear Satisfaction.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »

I'd be happy with this idea, as I enjoy the last 2 albums. If they'd have tried this with ATYCLB & HTDAAB I'd have had to think very long & hard as to whether I'd attend, as I really don't enjoy those albums. Yeah, if this was done in 2005 I probably would go in the end. Can't say no to a U2 show, & there'd still be some goodness there. Kite is amazing live, LAPOE was great, Vertigo & COBL would have been fresh, BD & Elevation wouldn't have been overplayed at that stage.

As to SoI+SoE if full, there's songs on both albums I'd really like to hear live, which I haven't heard. From SoI, I'd particularly like to hear The Troubles, SLABT, TIWYCRMN. From SoE I'd love to hear LIAWHL (& am worried it may not make the cut). But yeah, I'm sure there'd be a lot of people who wouldn't be happy with it. The casuals being a large part of this group, who make up a very large part of the audience (who are catered for by trotting out the same tired old warhorses night after night).

What I really wish they'd have done this tour, is revisit the idea of an Innocence night, & an Experience night, now that they actually have albums solely devoted to these themes. Plus sprinkle the setlist with some of the lesser known (to casuals) gems I listed in my previous post. Songs that would probably keep summerholly very happy (with plenty more TUF, War & Boy songs I didn't have time to write). Heck, even sprinkle in some of the warhorses, at least these would be split across the two nights. Of course it's not going to happen, they chickened or last time, they don't have 2 nights in all cities, & they haven't advertised it this way.

But with LN at the reins it's certainly all about maximising profits. Look at the ticket prices, & the oversaturation of the US market! So they'll be catering for the large amounts of casuals, who are opening their wallets, funding the shows production, & making it profitable. After the LN deal, who knows? U2 are wealthy enough that they could try something different (& likely less profitable), on a smaller scale. If they wanted to! Songs mostly catering for their hardcore fan base, in smaller venues. Not too small, or they'd be playing forever just to meet demand. But small enough, so they don't do a Popmart & blow the budget, if demand isn't huge. Unless the problem of scalping is addressed, good luck getting tickets to those shows! But knowing U2's history, this is likely a pipe dream.

But whatever U2 chooses to do, I'm sure I'll have an incredible time. It's impossible not to have a great time at a U2 show!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:23:03 AM by d.darroch »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 12:09:03 AM »
Every U2 show, no matter which tour, is essentially a greatest hits show. You will hear Streets, WOWY, Vertigo, Elevation, One, etc. It's like, you go to a Stones show you won't not hear Satisfaction.

Its interesting about Satisfaction, they always play it but it would be one of my least favourite Stones tracks.  They have such a big range of albums spanning forty years.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »
I once went to a Stones show back in 1999 in Cleveland, and they didn't play "Satisfaction".  I didn't even notice until years later when I found iorr.org and somebody commented on that fact.  I was much more interested to hear something like "Can't you hear me knocking" or "Moonlight Mile" than I was to hear "Satisfaction". 

Likewise, I have seen a U2 show where they didn't play WOWY in 2005.  I thought nothing about it, but I'm sure several people were outraged.  I'm all for Greatest Hits, by any band, taking up a good portion of the show, because it makes for a fun audience.  As long as they throw in some new material and a few deep cuts to keep it interesting for the diehards, which U2 are usually pretty good about.  I enjoyed the JT shows I saw last year, but I could feel the crowd's enthusiasm waning towards the end of JT Side B.  I remember thinking "Alright, time for the encore to give this crowd a shot in the arm". 

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »
I know this would be a hard pill for the band and some fans to swallow, but since the battle for relevancy is over (or it should be) is it time for U2 to simply tour their hits?

They have made it longer than other bands have with new material, and that is something to be said.  It is simply time now to embrace where they are at in their musical journey, in my opinion.

Frankly (and I hate to disappoint the die hards) they essential do, and have been doing this, on all their tours.  Look at the set lists. In general, 2/3's of the songs are war horses with the other 1/3 new stuff. 

I think what people mean with they make comments like these is they want to see more variety in the older songs they play, not a greatest hits tour.  They play their hits damn near every show.

Think about it, if they would pull out more full versions of older songs that were more rare or never performed before people would be happy.  They have done this to some degree but most of the time the versions they do are little snippets or teasers embedded in a more established song.  They have pulled out more rare songs at times like on the  I+E tour by dusting off Gloria (for example) for a few shows and also on the JT30 tour with A Sort of Homecoming which was nice to see.  The problem is they never make the set for the entire tour.

U2 does a pretty good job of putting together a set list and snippets of their catalog to piece together show most, new and old, fans will like.  I think they just need to get our of their comfort zone with their catalog and be brave enough to stumble through the older songs until they get a version they like live.

If they really wanted to be bold and do another "novelty" tour, do a limited date "Rarities Tour" and reverse the ratio to 2/3 rarities 1/3 (even 1/4) hits.  They would make a killing from the die hard fans.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:08:12 AM by jgrooms »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
+1 I agree with every word in this post!  ::)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 06:06:29 PM »
YES! For the past few tours I have cringed when new songs were played and being overjoyed when anything from Boy to Achtung was played.

I am not suggesting that they should only play the same hits, there are so many good older songs to cycle through, but the new songs are just such a let down to most of the crowd - though perhaps not most of the people on this forum.

On the Joshua Tree 2017 tour they managed to present songs and a stage design that seemed fresh and relevant. War, Unforgettable Fire and other albums could afford the same.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 12:40:27 AM »
YES! For the past few tours I have cringed when new songs were played and being overjoyed when anything from Boy to Achtung was played.

I am not suggesting that they should only play the same hits, there are so many good older songs to cycle through, but the new songs are just such a let down to most of the crowd - though perhaps not most of the people on this forum.

On the Joshua Tree 2017 tour they managed to present songs and a stage design that seemed fresh and relevant. War, Unforgettable Fire and other albums could afford the same.

The new music is fantastic and I would not be nearly as interested in the band if their new music was not great. U2 have typically always been about the present and future as opposed to the past. Its what has set them apart from so many classic rock bands out there that just do greatest hits tours for the casual fans. After seeing U2 21 times, what gets me excited the most at a U2 concert is hearing the new songs!

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
I think what U2 is doing now is just right — or at least, is the most likely to create a good concert experience for the broadest range of fans.

I’m glad they’re still making new music and play a good sample from their latest album on each tour.   I really like their latest two albums but even if I didn’t like them that much, they always do a great job live and it would make me sad to think they were no longer making new music. It would make me sad both for them as artists, and for myself, because I wouldn’t have new music to look forward to that I might like better than the last album.

I’m glad they play greatest hits and sometimes lesser known songs from their very deep and rich catalogue. As a recently returned fan who hasn’t seen them live since the eighties, I would be pi**ed not to hear those great eighties songs live again plus all the great more recent songs that I’ve never heard live. Though I know some people see them multiple times on every tour, I’m sure in every concert the majority of the audience are people who’ve seen them only a few times or maybe never.

Some of the suggestions that have been made in this thread would please only a small fraction of the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 07:25:22 AM »
In my opinion, U2 are already doing greatest hits tours, disguised by putting out new albums.
If you really look at it, U2 sing about 6-8 new songs from the album their are promoting and the rest of the set list is just an barrage of greatest hits that never change, never mind during the same tour even from tour to tour.
That is why the continue to sell out when touring new albums because people know that U2 will always sing the big hit songs and don't mind sitting through the 6-8 new tunes.  That is why 360 tour was soo successful regardless of NLOTH not.

Playing 5-9 new songs a night isn’t a GH show, no matter how you cut it. Most acts play 2-4, if that.

As for hits never changing, I didn’t catch One at any of the shows I saw in 2015. Elevation gets talked about like it’s played at every show, but wasn’t even played at 1/3 of those shows. Unless you literally go to all 70-120 shows on a tour, there’s a bit of a difference between reading what was played as opposed to actually seeing it.

The one time they wanted to do something different was on the I&E tour when they first promoted it as 2 nights, 2 different shows and we all know that didn't happen and why? we all know that Willie Williams said the band were worried about NOT GETTING IN ENOUGH HITS INTO THE SET.

I actually wonder now if a bit of that had to do with Bono’s injuries and they just didn’t want to say it outright at the time. Even then, they still got into a phase where they consistently alternated 2-4 songs a night for that tour, which is commendable considering the circumstance.

That is why this tour will be the same. We will get about 8 new songs…

… which is still over 1/3 of a show. And more than the usual 1-3 new songs other acts do. You also got 7 different songs on the second Vancouver show you went to in 2015, before they lowered that to 2-4. Dude... it's fine!

…  if that and then a barrage of the usual to satisfy the casual fans.  the casual fans that see U2 know they don't have to worry about U2 pulling out a Springsteen or Pearl for example who change their set from night to night and don't always play the big and popular songs.

And there’s also people that go to Pearl Jam and get irritated that they got the off night when “Jeremy” wasn’t played. I heard a morning DJ in my area say as much when she went to see them. But she was a “casual” fan who presumably doesn’t post on their message boards or follow setlist.fm, so I’m guessing her opinion doesn’t count and she shouldn’t have gone anyway.  ::)

Honestly though... I see maybe 10-15 different acts each year. There's probably only one or two where I know close to literally every song. I don't expect any act to play only to the few people that are following them show-to-show or the online contingent, which probably isn't as big for acts like this anyway.

The only thing that is keeping maybe people from going to the show is the price at least in the US, and not what they are going to sing, even with a new album because people know they are going to get more than enough big hits to satisfy themselves.
Believe me, when U2 said they are thinking about not playing anything off of the Joshua Tree because they just toured it last year, it will not happen, just like that 2 nights, 2 different shows.  Don't worry casual fans, guaranteed you will get Streets, WOWY and ISHFWILF at the very least.

Which is fine. ISHFWIF wasn’t even played at every show in 2015 and people still cry when Streets comes on. I even go to shows and talk to the hard core fans who aren't big on whatever the new album is, but still say "I want to hear the hits." "Hits" isn't a bad word unless you're aiming for hipster street cred here.

Again, unless you’re going to every show or more than a few of them, it really doesn’t affect anyone that badly... unless we just want to read about a different song or three every night and watch two minutes of it on YouTube before never watching it consistently again. At least they’re not in a Prince or Soundgarden situation right now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:36:17 AM by trevgreg »

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
Do like the Stones do,  one or two from the new album, the rest from the back catalogue.   Strip it down, back to basics. Having to play every song, esp on TV with a giant video screen behind them, even though they revolutionized that,  is a little much now.