Author Topic: Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Is it time for U2 to simply start greatest hits tours?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do like the Stones do,  one or two from the new album, the rest from the back catalogue.   Strip it down, back to basics. Having to play every song, esp on TV with a giant video screen behind them, even though they revolutionized that,  is a little much now.

I wouldn't like that. I'd prefer a show where they only played songs from "Songs Of Innocence" and "Songs Of Experience". That would be exciting, new, fresh, a surprise, bold, and a first for the band. The first half of the concert, Songs of Innocence. The second half of the concert, Songs Of Experience.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
I wouldn't like that. I'd prefer a show where they only played songs from "Songs Of Innocence" and "Songs Of Experience". That would be exciting, new, fresh, a surprise, bold, and a first for the band. The first half of the concert, Songs of Innocence. The second half of the concert, Songs Of Experience.
Yep, we've heard it. I'd be fine with it, some others here wouldn't. Plenty of different opinions. Makes it impossible for U2 to keep everybody happy.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »
Check out the video below. Its from March 1, 1992. Its an MTV report and it discusses the whole issue of old songs vs the new songs. Its funny and ironic in a way, especially what Bono says about people who are not into the new music.

Check it out here, 4 minutes long:

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »
Check out the video below. Its from March 1, 1992. Its an MTV report and it discusses the whole issue of old songs vs the new songs. Its funny and ironic in a way, especially what Bono says about people who are not into the new music.

That was a different era and the band was still young and very popular and their newer music still appealed to a lot of the fans who liked their older music. I liked both at that stage.  I just find their newer music a little boring to be perfectly honest but the band is rich enough to please themselves and play what they like and I don't begrudge them that.  If they have enough fans to support only the new music then they should please themselves and go for it. 

Would I go and see a show with just music for their last 2 albums? The answer is no as I have other things I would rather spend the ticket price money on.  Do I still love them as a legendary band with a swag of great music, yes.  Many fans have supported them through many years of their music and if the last 2 albums don't do it for them I don't think Bono could accuse them of not being real fans.  I think he would be old enough by now to realise that.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »

Bono was in character as The Fly. This tour was about U2 putting on masks. When he says “we don’t need the pop kids” that’s The Fly talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »

Bono was in character as The Fly. This tour was about U2 putting on masks. When he says “we don’t need the pop kids” that’s The Fly talking.

You are right! I was trying to put my finger on that up yourself arrogance that I don't really associate with the real Bono lol.  They have always appreciated their fans on the whole

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 12:28:28 AM »

That was a different era and the band was still young and very popular and their newer music still appealed to a lot of the fans who liked their older music. I liked both at that stage.  I just find their newer music a little boring to be perfectly honest but the band is rich enough to please themselves and play what they like and I don't begrudge them that.  If they have enough fans to support only the new music then they should please themselves and go for it. 

Would I go and see a show with just music for their last 2 albums? The answer is no as I have other things I would rather spend the ticket price money on.  Do I still love them as a legendary band with a swag of great music, yes.  Many fans have supported them through many years of their music and if the last 2 albums don't do it for them I don't think Bono could accuse them of not being real fans.  I think he would be old enough by now to realise that.

I think your missing the point. U2 at that stage in 1992 had 7 albums. People were complaining that the band only played songs at the concert from the previous 3 albums with the exception of two songs, and no songs from the first three albums. In essence, you have the Greatest Hits vs primarily new music debate already in 1992 in terms of what they perform in concert. Fans are disappointed because the band did not play Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, I Will Follow etc. A fan mentions this and the reporter talks about it with Bono. Bono is answering the questions honestly. He is not playing some character here or lying, even though you may notice Larry walking by in the background and yelling "Don't Believe a word".

I was at those early ZOO TV shows and they opened with 8 songs from Achtung Baby. Then they played songs primarily from Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum with two thrown in from the Unforgettable Fire and two more from Achtung Baby. There were people back then who did not attend ZOO TV because they did not like the bands direction and the heavy emphasis on the new music. But hey, its a U2 concert, I think they should have gone to the show and they would have enjoyed it.

But really, U2 are artist and invest most of their time in writing and recording new music. I'm sure they still enjoy their old songs, but where any band is at is their latest music. That's the music the band finds fresh and exciting and typically the most fun to play.

U2 have never wanted to be the old classic rock band that plays the same set list of hits every year at the state fair or the farm show.

Oh and Bono is not some 18 year old in the above video. He is fully grown and mature 31 year old man, a husband and father of two daughters in that video.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:31:03 AM by wons »

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 12:40:33 AM »

I think your missing the point. U2 at that stage in 1992 had 7 albums. People were complaining that the band only played songs at the concert from the previous 3 albums with the exception of two songs, and no songs from the first three albums. In essence, you have the Greatest Hits vs primarily new music debate already in 1992 in terms of what they perform in concert. Fans are disappointed because the band did not play Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, I Will Follow etc. A fan mentions this and the reporter talks about it with Bono. Bono is answering the questions honestly. He is not playing some character here or lying, even though you may notice Larry walking by in the background and yelling "Don't Believe a word".

I was at those early ZOO TV shows and they opened with 8 songs from Achtung Baby. Then they played songs primarily from Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum with two thrown in from the Unforgettable Fire and two more from Achtung Baby. There were people back then who did not attend ZOO TV because they did not like the bands direction and the heavy emphasis on the new music. But hey, its a U2 concert, I think they should have gone to the show and they would have enjoyed it.

But really, U2 are artist and invest most of their time in writing and recording new music. I'm sure they still enjoy their old songs, but where any band is at is their latest music. That's the music the band finds fresh and exciting and typically the most fun to play.

U2 have never wanted to be the old classic rock band that plays the same set list of hits every year at the state fair or the farm show.

Oh and Bono is not some 18 year old in the above video. He is fully grown and mature 31 year old man, a husband and father of two daughters in that video.
"We might lose the pop kids but we dont need them". Different story nowaday!

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »

I do understand the point you are making, and I realize Bono was not lying about not playing older songs.

However, it is also true that Bono was in character as The Fly. The attitude he shows towards “the pop kids” is not him. Bono and the rest of the band never want to lose any part of the audience, even though their constant re-invention means it happens all the time. As The Fly he can act like he doesn’t care when really he cares a lot.

The tension between wanting to experiment artistically and not wanting to disappoint fans or lose popularity has always been there with this band and is one of the things that makes them unique.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »

The tension between wanting to experiment artistically and not wanting to disappoint fans or lose popularity has always been there with this band and is one of the things that makes them unique.

Yes agreed.  This is why U2 will not just do a greatest hits tour, because they are so experimental (still) and self critical, they would want the fans to hear something new each time they went out on tour, because they know the fans will respond and they will channel that response into a positive or negative reaction.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »

I do understand the point you are making, and I realize Bono was not lying about not playing older songs.

However, it is also true that Bono was in character as The Fly. The attitude he shows towards “the pop kids” is not him. Bono and the rest of the band never want to lose any part of the audience, even though their constant re-invention means it happens all the time. As The Fly he can act like he doesn’t care when really he cares a lot.

Of course at that time, U2 one could argue were at the height of their fame. Although Achtung Baby and ZOO TV were a risk, at the time of that interview March 1, 1992, the album and tour were already a smashing success. The album had just been certified triple platinum in the United States for 3 million sold and overall worldwide it had already sold 7 million copies even though it was only released 3 and half months earlier. The initial arena tour soldout everywhere in record time which was the signal to go ahead with the largest stadium tour they had ever done later in the year. Perhaps Bono was feeling invincible when he said they "didn't need the pop kids". Five years later going through Pop and the Popmart tour was a humbling experience for them and returned them to earth perhaps. Then again, maybe it was just an act like you said. When was he the Fly, when was he just Bono?

An interesting time indeed. Although the band got very popular again in the 00s with ATYCLB, HTDAAB, the Vertigo Tour, 360 tour etc, you never saw Bono exhibit the same swager, arrogance or over-confidence you sometimes saw in the 1987-1994 time period. Pop and Popmart stung them and brought them back to earth in a way. Since then, they have been smarter, more grounded, down to earth and realistic I think.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »

Yes I know how old he was in that video lol.  I was the same age at the time.  There is a lot of life experience and maturity to be gained between then and now!!

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:48 PM »
I think it's pretty much going to come down to how much longer they're happy putting out new material and how much longer Bono can sing these songs well enough to actually tour live. He was quite disappointing on last years JT tour and it'll be interesting to see his approach to this tour and if his voice is in better shape.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 04:03:59 PM »
I think it's pretty much going to come down to how much longer they're happy putting out new material and how much longer Bono can sing these songs well enough to actually tour live. He was quite disappointing on last years JT tour and it'll be interesting to see his approach to this tour and if his voice is in better shape.

Their artist. Music is like breathing to them. They are always happy with new material. Playing the old songs for the fans though is the only thing they may get tired of from time to time.

I thought his voice was fantastic in Philadelphia and Washington D.C., the shows I saw and I have been seeing this band since the ZOO TV tour. Remember, live performance is not the same as the studio. Rarely is any singer 100% perfect on a tour last months or years. Also there things that can be done in the studio that just cannot be reproduced in a live setting.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
They already did that...Check out the 360 Tour DVD.