Author Topic: What sort of U2 fan would you say I am?  (Read 407 times)

Offline HertfordshireU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
What sort of U2 fan would you say I am?
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
I have been a big U2 fan since 1984 and The Unforgettable Fire Album - Just asking for fellow fans opinions on what sort of fan I am - I would label myself 1980s to 2000s. These are my favourite albums compiled after solid listening over a lifetime and going to 65 shows - so make your judgements.

1) Achtung Baby
2) Pop
3) Zooropa
4) Rattle and Hum
5) War
6) October
7) Boy
8 The Joshua Tree
9) Songs of Experience
10) All That You Can't Leave Behind
11) How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12) The Unforgettable Fire
13) Songs of Innocence
14) No Line On The Horizon

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:22:26 AM by HertfordshireU2 »

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: What sort of U2 fan would you say I am?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:59:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been a big U2 fan since 1984 and The Unforgettable Fire Album - Just asking for fellow fans opinions on what sort of fan I am - I would label myself 1980s to 2000s. These are my favourite albums compiled after solid listening over a lifetime and going to 65 shows - so make your judgements.

1) Achtung Baby
2) Pop
3) Zooropa
4) Rattle and Hum
5) War
6) October
7) Boy
8 The Joshua Tree
9) Songs of Experience
13) Songs of Innocence

One of U2's biggest fans, a die-hard like myself. I'll be seeing my 22nd and 23rd U2 shows this year, so you have seen nearly 3 times as many shows as I have.

But I would say you have a very strong love of 90s U2. Have much less regard for U2 albums after the year 2000. Your placement of the Unforgettable Fire at #12 out of the 14 is the lowest I have seen anyone put it.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:13:53 AM »
I don't think there is such a thing as a 'type' of fan. Speaking for myself, I'm a fan since 2013 and been only to one show (TJT30). Didn't have the chanche to get tickets for the I+E-tour, but will be going to E+I-tour.

My fandom comes clear seeing my vinyl collection  :). I have every studioalbum except No Line and OS1. Zooropa, ATYCLB and Bomb are bootlegs.

If I became fan earlier I would have gone to multiple shows, I guess. But the prices are way too high and it's hard to get tickets.

65 shows is impressive, though! which tour(s) did you see the most shows from?

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:06:16 AM »

1) Achtung Baby
2) Pop
3) Zooropa
4) Rattle and Hum
5) War
6) October
7) Boy
8 The Joshua Tree
9) Songs of Experience
13) Songs of Innocence

A 90's fan is my kind of fan! Although October + R&H higher than TJT is kind of insane (no offense)  ;D

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
you are a U2 fan, there are all kinds of us. Some of us since '83, some since '93, some since '03. Some a few shows, some 46 like me. Some hate the new music (me) some love it. We are all U2 fans.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »
I think there's basically just one kind of U2 fan. You know every song by heart. Certain songs give you the feels - maybe different songs from me or someone else, or the same songs but in a different ranking. but that doesn't matter. You had an experience when you really heard them for the first time. You listen to elevate your soul. You have to listen at top volume. If you hear Edge's notes somewhere, and maybe you weren't expecting to, something in your head tingles. When Bono holds out the microphone to the crowd, you know exactly what sounds should come out of your mouth, and you know the other 60,000 or whatever people sharing the same space know too. There is only one type of U2 fan.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
I think there's basically just one kind of U2 fan. You know every song by heart. Certain songs give you the feels - maybe different songs from me or someone else, or the same songs but in a different ranking. but that doesn't matter. You had an experience when you really heard them for the first time. You listen to elevate your soul. You have to listen at top volume. If you hear Edge's notes somewhere, and maybe you weren't expecting to, something in your head tingles. When Bono holds out the microphone to the crowd, you know exactly what sounds should come out of your mouth, and you know the other 60,000 or whatever people sharing the same space know too. There is only one type of U2 fan.
shot in the target!