Author Topic: U2.com Fan Club Renewal Outrage  (Read 822 times)

Offline flyguy

• Babyface
U2.com Fan Club Renewal Outrage
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
I went onto U2.com to try and renew my annual subscription today.

The note I've attached below is one I sent to the site managers, with the expectation of an answer or a resolution, because right now I am volcanically pi**ed and I think I've been subjected to an absolutely arbitrary policy that I had no idea was even being enforced until AFTER money was paid out.

The point in my posting this is the following: has ANYONE else experienced (no pun intended) this kind of arbitrary BS in recent days?

"To whom it may concern / Guy Oseary, Live Nation, etc -

I have been a U2 fan since 1983 and a longtime subscriber to both Propaganda and U2's official website fan club (decades for BOTH in fact) and I am really angry. The last time I checked the U2.com site under my membership account, I was told that my account was due to expire in March 2018. No specific deadline date was mentioned for renewal, nor were there any caveats mentioned about my renewing by either the beginning or the end of the month.

So, I logged on today, of course, to renew my account as I've done for the past 14+ years, and when I got to my account page I saw NONE of my previous benefits listed, including my prior downloads, and that my status as a member of the eXPERIENCE group had vanished.

This struck me as particularly odd, given how I'd only days before (on March 6) received an email saying that - as a member of the eXPERIENCE group - I had been informed (on March 6) of my having access to ticket presales for the band's tour of Europe. So why, I thought, did I suddenly lose my eXPERIENCE status on the band's site today?

I immediately sent a query of concern to U2.com about it, not understanding what had happened. I got a confirmation email saying my note was received and that I would get a response soon. In the meantime, I proceeded with what I thought was a renewal - and paid $50. It was only then, when I received a receipt via email that I realized I'd received just a "standard membership", not a renewal.

I quickly logged back onto the U2 site. And under the same account info - which I'd checked just MINUTES before - I saw this note (which had NOT been there the first time I logged on):

'Your account is expiring on 10 March, 2019. You cannot renew at this time. Subscribers may only renew their U2.com subscription when the account is within 30 days from the expiration date.'

Excuse me, U2.com ... but WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

Your website is telling me my subscription EXPIRED on the very day I logged onto renew it, and that if I hadn't done so THIRTY DAYS SOONER, I wasn't going to get the same benefits I had before? How the Hell is that possible when I was NEVER told that March 10th was a "deadline for renewal" date in the first place??

I think this is a totally arbitrary and mercenary policy and utterly cruel to me as a longtime fan and fan club member. You're basically ousting me from a more preferred membership group because of rules of which I was never apprised either verbally or by email until today and, even then, only AFTER I'd made a purchase from the site? How is that in any way fair?

Do the BAND MEMBERS know that you guys are treating their most loyal and longtime fans this way?

I want to know why U2.com did this to me (and I can only imagine OTHER U2 fans have had this happen to me), and what - if anything - is being done, or if anything even can be done to remedy the situation.

I also honestly believe as someone who has given so much of his own hard-earned cash to U2 over the past four decades, I'm owed the benefit of the doubt and I think I deserve an explanation if not some form of correction for this horrible mistake/error in judgement/policy decision.

I don't think my request is unreasonable.

Please get back to me and advise ASAP.

(redacted name/address)"

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: U2.com Fan Club Renewal Outrage
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »
It sounds like some type of a technical glitch. I hope they resolve it. I think everyone who purchased Experience And Innocence Tour tickets in November/December 2017 had to renew then. My subscription renewal time is also March, but since I purchased two tickets and had to renew back at the end of 2017, my next renewal date is not until March 2019. If you purchased any Experience And Innocence tickets I think you should be fine and it will be worked out.

Given the current history of out they divide pre-sale usage, now with only two groups, Experience and Innocence, even if the worst happened you should be fine. Within a year, you'll be back in the top group again for tickets. What their doing, is that if you have been a subscriber for over a year, you get in the top group when tickets go on sale. Everyone else that registered within months of the announcement or after the announcement is in the lower group.

Of course, I think there should be 3 groups, one that rewards people who have remained subscribed to U2.com since the beginning without let up, a middle group with just a year or two as members, and then the newbies in the lower group.

I hope they resolve this problem for you as soon as possible!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: U2.com Fan Club Renewal Outrage (DOWNLOADS NOW AVAILABLE)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
Check your U2.com profile for downloads for U2 3D.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »
I don't know what happened in the first place, and I agree it wasn't right.

But here's what happened next:

You subscribed with a new standard fan membership (which should not have had to happen).

You logged back in again, and under renewals you saw a new message saying you can't renew until NEXT year (2019). While the inability to renew in the first place was a screw-up on their part, this new message fits with the purchase of a new standard membership.

The March 10 (2019) date you were given was based on your new membership purchase - not a coincidence. It was the date one year from your purchase on March 10, 2018.

I hope you've gotten it sorted out to your satisfaction - previous membership reinstated, etc.

As someone who works in the application development industry, you wouldn't believe how many stupid things we spec writers and programmers don't think about. You build something thinking people will know XYZ already or will use the program in a certain way and then slap our heads when we see the assumptions we've made. Or writing automated email templates, sometimes a programmer ends up writing them and they are not customer service people, and they don't think to put in all the info customers need. It can be really stupid but some teams are limited, or sometimes deadlines get in the way of a proper approval process.

The point of all that blah blah is that what happened is almost certainly not malicious or even a lack of care by the U2 team. That said, they should 100% make it right for you
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:12:05 AM by laoghaire »

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
Re: U2.com Fan Club Renewal Outrage (DOWNLOADS NOW AVAILABLE)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Check your U2.com profile for downloads for U2 3D.

Four remixes of 30-year-old songs when they could have given us the outtakes from the album and songs that were in the film but not on the album. These gifts, man. About the time you completely give up, they bust out something like U2:22 or the book and CD combo, and then once you get your hopes up, you get a crappy one. Oh well. It seems the gifts aren't quite as good in touring years.

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
Please keep us posted, this is BS.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »
Best thing to do? Message BigWave, Max Tsukino, or mich40 on Twitter. They are the moderators of the U2.com message boards and have connections to the site admins. They aren’t there to address piddly stuff and they aren’t there to be swamped by every concern everyone has, but if you are having real subscription issues, message one of them (start with BigWave) and see if they can help. They are good people.

Offline achtungbhoy

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 03:09:45 AM »
I went on to the site recently to access some of the tour footage. Can't remember what it was but, anyway, I discovered my subscription had expired without notice.

I queried it with Live Nation, who advised me to re-subscribe and come back to them after that. I did so and asked them to put me back in the eXPERIENCE group (which is where I had been) on account of this being an error on their part for not sending notice and I pointed out my long history of membership going back to Propaganda days (giving them my previous postal address for same).

Thankfully, they sorted it and confirmed I was back in eXPERIENCE. I'll obviously keep an eye on it come the next pre-sale to make sure that is the case but I found they were ok to deal with.

Offline mirrorballgirl

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:48:32 AM »
Even though I sympathize with you, I find it hard to believe that you were not aware of the exact date when your subscription expires. Every time I log in and check my account it is always clearly stated that my account is valid until 30th of June. Last week I have received an email from U2.com reminding me that my subscription is expiring within the next 30 days. At the bottom of that same email there is a mention that I need to renew before 30th of June. Now when I log into my account, whatever I am reading or watching at U2.com, there is constantly a yellow bar at the top reminding me that my subscription is expiring within 30 days. When I check account info, the date 30th of June is still there. And this isn't something new, it has been like this for me (and I suppose for everyone else) for years. So I don't understand how did you think that no specific date was mentioned for renewal. Maybe there was some technical glitch involved but I think there was omission on your part as well. However, I hope they managed to work that out for you.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:09:40 AM »
The OP might not have logged in within the last 30 days - not everyone will log in frequently.

I'm guessing the date was buried at the bottom of the email as you described it, but people miss that stuff. That date should be at the top in large bold letters - don't make customers hunt for critical information.

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
I joined once years ago just to get U22, did not renew though.  I think at this point in their career with all of their wealth it's just a gouge to the fans.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
I have been a payed up member every year of U2.com since it was created in 2004/2005. With the exception of the Vertigo Tour, it has worked out great for getting tickets from the 360 tour onward. But they do need to pay more attention to fan issues as well as creating a group for the more dedicated members who have been members non-stop since the start, when pre-sales go on. General Admission for indoor arenas can be difficult to get because the number of available tickets is so much smaller, but I was able to get GA for two different shows for the Experience And Innocence Tour, through the U2.com pre-sales. All the other stuff, the website access to all songs and videos, plus the annual gift is all a great bonus.