Author Topic: Bono has overstepped the line  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Re: Bono has overstepped the line
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 03:59:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

“Moyo, who left to become chief of staff to Akinwumi Adesina, the president of the African Development Bank, strongly denies all these allegations. However, she did confirm to the Daily Mail that the ONE Campaign did not pay tax on employees’ salaries in South Africa, saying that this decision was taken in Washington DC.”

I have a couple of big problems with this news story.

The first is that -- as noted in the quote above -- the person who "confirmed" the tax arrangement and passed the buck for it to the head office is the same person who is alleged to have committed all the abuse. Don't think I would take her word on anything.

The second problem is that there is nothing to indicate whether these tax arrangements (if they really occurred as reported) are legal or illegal. If they are illegal, that is a problem and the organization needs to investigate. If they are legal, then this is a non-issue.

I realize it's very trendy in some circles to treat perfectly legal low-tax investments or arrangements as equivalent to laundering money for a drug cartel, but that's not just absurd, it's quite disturbing. Of course everyone should pay their taxes, but when certain people with big media megaphones treat folks like Bono as criminals for abiding by the tax laws of democratic nations, what that really means is those people don't believe democratic nations should have the right to decide their own tax policy. They believe *they* should have the power to decide tax policy for all nations.

You seem to have misread my point. This isn't about the legality. Simply put the One organisation has one of its core issues tax fairness in the developing world. Read up on it.

Now if they campaign on this and then do exactly what they campaign against, they are hypocrites. This doesn't mean Bono and his organisations aren't doing good work etc.

But the next time you campaign on something, your credibility will have been damaged.

This is not rocket science.

I described a couple of problems with the article you linked and I stand by my statements on both counts. To be sure, when I talked about legal vs. illegal being the important thing regarding tax arrangements, I was expressing my opinion. I accept your point that if the ONE campaign has emphasized "tax fairness" as you define it (with legality beside the point), and then violated those principles itself, that is damaging to their credibility.

So I took your advice and read up on it. I looked at the ONE website and did a little googling about ONE and tax fairness. I wasn't able to find anything regarding the kind of "tax fairness" you're talking about, though I did find information about ONE's efforts for transparency and against corruption in the developing world. They published a report called "Trillion Dollar Scandal," summarized as follows:

"At least a trillion dollars a year is siphoned out of developing countries through corrupt activity involving shady deals for natural resources, the use of phantom firms, money laundering and illegal tax evasion, according to new research by The ONE Campaign."

Notice this specifically says *illegal* tax evasion.

To be sure, my bit of research is a very high-level review of the subject, but if the kind of "tax fairness" you're talking about were strongly associated with the ONE campaign, it should have turned up in a high-level review.

Of course, if it turns out there was illegal tax evasion going on with regard to the South African office, the hypocrisy makes that even worse than it would be otherwise.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 09:54:27 PM »
Oh he's done worse than that in the name of charity over the years.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
Oh he's done worse than that in the name of charity over the years.

Wow, never saw that before. Wish I’d stayed ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackde65

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »
I love watching people fight for Bono no matter what he does wrong. I love Bono. This story does give me creepy feelings though. These are the things he pays his lawyers to keep hidden from public view. I can get over it. There isn't one human being without at least a touch of hypocrisy. The rich have tax loopholes and cheats that no ordinary man has. Bono just happens to be rich. He's just trying to hold onto all of the money he can. Does it make him look sh*tty? Yes it does, but ahhh whatever.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
I love watching people fight for Bono no matter what he does wrong. I love Bono. This story does give me creepy feelings though. These are the things he pays his lawyers to keep hidden from public view. I can get over it. There isn't one human being without at least a touch of hypocrisy. The rich have tax loopholes and cheats that no ordinary man has. Bono just happens to be rich. He's just trying to hold onto all of the money he can. Does it make him look sh*tty? Yes it does, but ahhh whatever.

I find it hard to make any real judgement without knowing the true facts.  There is just so much speculation, innuendo and sensationalism that seems to surround anything that Bono does.  Really I find it boring when there are probably real corporate criminals out there getting away with murder and no one bats an eyelid.  Bono has come from nothing, worked really hard and probably tried to do much more than I ever will for the world so I am not going to pass judgement.  No man is perfect and some of the sh** and bullying I see ordinary people doing to their fellow man on a daily basis defies belief at times.  People need to get over this whole Bono thing and find something more productive to do.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »
Though he might overstep the line, you just cannot get angry in the same way. . . .

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »
I’m having trouble understanding how your comment connects with this story, which has absolutely nothing to do with Bono hanging on to money. It has nothing to do with any taxes that he owes. The tax issue (which isn’t the main issue) is about the ONE organization formerly paying taxes in a different country for its South Africa employees. ONE is a nonprofit that Bono helped to found. He gets no money from the organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk