Poll

Which is better, in your mind?

Songs of Innocence
23 (29.9%)
Songs of Experience
54 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
I was never the biggest fan of Songs of Innocence, but I listened to it tonight for the first time tonight in forever (nothing, with the exception of "Every Breaking Wave" had I heard since December 1, according to iTunes).  I think I appreciate it more now, in view of Songs of Experience.  I surely liked "California," and "Song for Someone" more tonight than I have, by a ways, probably, ever. 

I think history (and, well, duh, look at the titles) will put these two U2 albums together at the hip and in band history sumarizations.  After listening to both albums tonight, they play well together, and it's easy to see.  So which do you prefer?  I'll say Songs of Experience.  And not because I'm a homer (since it's the most recent).  But the latter may make me appreciate the former.

For me, I sort of piddled away from listening to Songs Of Innocence after a month.  But I still listen to Songs of Experience today.  So I'm picking the new one.  What say you?  Vote and add your thoughts.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:07:21 AM »
Innocence for me. I rate it very highly, probably 4th behind AB, JT and Pop. SOE however seems to not have the magic about it. Whilst the sound on SOE first seemed fresh to me, ultimately the quality is only meh. SOE definitely has some good moments - Landlady, Book of Your Heart and TLTTGYA but SOI is far stronger and consistent from start to finish. If I rank the songs on each album and then play them off against each other eg 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd and so on, SOI kicks SOE's butt.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 05:54:48 AM »
Innocence for me. It flows better as an album. SOE for me just can't get back into shape after the pop duo of tunes changes the mood of the record after opener and Lights of home, and later again The Showman breaks up the more heavy mood the second half of the record.

That said, Love is bigger etc and Little things are better songs than anything on SOI. Probably their best since MOS.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
Overall Experience wins for me because of the last half of the album. I also like the production better.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »
Would have been very satisfied if Experience was as good as Innocence. After a shorter wait I couldn't ask for more.

However Innocence is better. It's sprinkled with magic & is consistently strong. It had to be. NLOTH had received mixed reviews & 5 years later U2 had to come out fighting.

Experience was a shorter wait & might have even been released in 2016 if TJT tour didn't happen.

The Innocence & JT tours had kept U2 on top & Experience was a notch down. Perhaps complacency had crept in.

Experience has more songs. However the albums bookend songs could have been scrapped.

There are no 'Boots' moments on Experience & it's perfectly listenable all the way through. The forthcoming tour will sell out & most of the album will be played on it.

Offline robbover

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »
Experience by a wide margin.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:01:51 PM by robbover »

Offline eldercantrell@yahoo.com

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:54:03 AM »
Experience hands down. And precisely because of the bookends. So many highlights for me. Innocence died very quickly for me tho I also enjoy it more now due to soe.  I still listen to soe almost daily. Lights of home st peters, summer of love, red flag day, little things, landlady, and honestly i like it all except i skip american soul. Great album for me.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
'Experience'...  'Innocence' falls off of a cliff after the first two songs...  If the band were to have taken the best songs from these two records and made one really good album, it would look pretty much the same as 'Songs of Experience' does today...  to say that 'Innocence' is full of "filler" would be being polite...  it's just bad...:-)

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 04:47:18 AM »
Bump this thread in five years...PLEASE :)

...SOI easily.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 05:43:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Would have been very satisfied if Experience was as good as Innocence. After a shorter wait I couldn't ask for more.

However Innocence is better. It's sprinkled with magic & is consistently strong. It had to be. NLOTH had received mixed reviews & 5 years later U2 had to come out fighting.

Experience was a shorter wait & might have even been released in 2016 if TJT tour didn't happen.

The Innocence & JT tours had kept U2 on top & Experience was a notch down. Perhaps complacency had crept in.

Experience has more songs. However the albums bookend songs could have been scrapped.

There are no 'Boots' moments on Experience & it's perfectly listenable all the way through. The forthcoming tour will sell out & most of the album will be played on it.

Just to be clear. NLOTH did not receive mixed reviews. Its reviews were generally more positive than anything that came since.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:47:21 AM »
Innocence is better in my book. Experience is let down awfully by songs 3-5. Let down by the fact that some of the best moments on the album didn't come from the band. Let down by being too long. Its not awful... but after my initial excitement, I see it now as a 3 out of 5 album.

Innocence is better. But is about 3.5 out of 5.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
Innocence is better in my book. Experience is let down awfully by songs 3-5. Let down by the fact that some of the best moments on the album didn't come from the band. Let down by being too long. Its not awful... but after my initial excitement, I see it now as a 3 out of 5 album.

Innocence is better. But is about 3.5 out of 5.

What best moments not from the band are you referring to?

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 06:45:01 AM »
Interestly, Experience has started to lose it's lustre for me, so maybe Innocence has a chance to be considered as good if not better once I give it a listen again in the next few days. I will still say that the highs of Experience outweigh the highs of Innocence, but they both have their weak links. Especially experience...You're the Best Thing, American Soul, Showman...I skip them regularly. It might be close.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »
I promise I'm not taking the pi*s when I say I can't rank any of the albums, they are the albums. It's like asking if I like my left knee more than my right thumb.

For reasons I won't go into, I never heard SOI until January 2018 (3 months ago), so I'm in the unusual position of working on SOI and SOE at the same time. Well, I did hear EBW last September, their 2014 performance at the VMAs - and it left me absolutely speechless. If I run across random people on the Internet complaining that Bono can't sing anymore, I'm not even mad, because they just don't know and I pity their ignorance.

SOI was easy for me to wrap my head around. The whole album wasn't instant for me, but I had a smile on my face during the very first listen of The Miracle, and Raised by Wolves was also an instant like. Cedarwood Road only took a couple of listens. The album version of EBW is so painful to me that I may never listen to it again - I can't bear that elevator music crap after hearing the live arrangement. The rest took a little longer but not that long.

SOE was a much bigger struggle. Right now I'm infatuated so I can't objectively rank it against others today.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 06:01:34 AM »

Just to be clear. NLOTH did not receive mixed reviews. Its reviews were generally more positive than anything that came since.

I don't remember too many of the reviews. Q magazine gave it 5 stars & NME 6/10.

Reviews on here were intially quite negative. After Boots got a scalding everyone was ready to do the same to NLOTH. It's since got some love, including from me & 5 of the 11 songs I like.