Poll

Which is better, in your mind?

Songs of Innocence
23 (29.9%)
Songs of Experience
54 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Songs of Innocence --or-- Songs of Experience?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I promise I'm not taking the pi*s when I say I can't rank any of the albums, they are the albums. It's like asking if I like my left knee more than my right thumb.

For reasons I won't go into, I never heard SOI until January 2018 (3 months ago), so I'm in the unusual position of working on SOI and SOE at the same time. Well, I did hear EBW last September, their 2014 performance at the VMAs - and it left me absolutely speechless. If I run across random people on the Internet complaining that Bono can't sing anymore, I'm not even mad, because they just don't know and I pity their ignorance.

SOI was easy for me to wrap my head around. The whole album wasn't instant for me, but I had a smile on my face during the very first listen of The Miracle, and Raised by Wolves was also an instant like. Cedarwood Road only took a couple of listens. The album version of EBW is so painful to me that I may never listen to it again - I can't bear that elevator music crap after hearing the live arrangement. The rest took a little longer but not that long.

SOE was a much bigger struggle. Right now I'm infatuated so I can't objectively rank it against others today.

I prefer the album version of EBW. The live version is a bit OTT for me.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »
A lot of people mention the 3-5 songs on SOE letting it down. Unlike the 3 song combo on NLOTH no one likes, I don't mind these songs on SOE. 

Best Thing got a negative intial reaction on here until fully digested. It then found some love. GOOYOW is a lightweight but inoffensive song while AS at least has some passion. I also like Kendrick Lamar's contribution.

No one ever mentions a 3 song combo letting down SOI. It's a bit more consistent and I could happily listen to the album without skipping.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:15:57 AM by zoo adam »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 04:25:47 AM »
A lot of people mention the 3-5 songs on SOE letting it down. Unlike the 3 song combo on NLOTH no one likes, I don't mind these songs on SOE. 

Best Thing got a negative intial reaction on here until fully digested. It then found some love. GOOYOW is a lightweight but inoffensive song while AS at least has some passion. I also like Kendrick Lamar's contribution.

No one ever mentions a 3 song combo letting down SOI. It's a bit more consistent and I could happily listen to the album without skipping.

Yes, SOI and SOE don't suffer from the 3 songs of death that we got on NLOTH (still say that Crazy isn't that bad, but none of those 3 should be on that album). But SOI doesn't have 3 songs that are epic and soaring, wheras NLOTH did. SOE, IMO, does have those 3 songs, though not as epic as NLOTH. So what I'm saying is... NLOTH > SOE > SOI

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:39 AM »
I kind of skipped over No Line; mind sharing the epic songs on it? Fez is the only song I know.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 05:25:54 AM »
I kind of skipped over No Line; mind sharing the epic songs on it? Fez is the only song I know.

Well for starters I'm glad you consider FEZ an epic song - that's not often a sure thing around here. I love it. For the record, the 'epic's' for me are Moment of Surrender, Magnificent and FEZ. Even the title track is a beautiful sonic soundscape which I also adore. But yeah, a few songs on NLOTH really carry some power for me. Cedars of Lebanon and White as Snow are nice low key mini masterpieces as well, so for me they're up there too.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:27:34 AM by Clarky »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »

I'm in the minority, but No Line on the Horizon is my favorite U2 album since Zooropa.  I think the title track and "Breathe" are my favorite U2 songs of the 21st century.  Otherwise, can't go wrong with "Magnificent," or "Fez."  I like the whole thing, even the "dreaded three" in the middle.

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
<taking notes> Thanks! Will check it out with those in mind, but not right away. Still steeped in SOE.

Fez, I love that one. It's different. It's largely instrumental, which can be hard to do and stay exciting, but it is. It's very evocative. If there is a deeper meaning than just music to drive to, I don't know anything about it (and don't know who/what Fez is).

But the dichotomy of the pacing in the song is awesome. The instruments have a heart pounding feel of speed, not necessarily manic speed but power pushing ahead relentlessly.

The vocals are on a different (but complementary) plane - like half speed.

The effect is like driving down a road, free and unrestrained, no traffic or obstacles - in a trance. You're pushing the limits, the wind in your hair - filmed in slo-mo. You've been up all night and feel unreal, and the sun rises and it all just takes you outside of yourself.

Offline eldercantrell@yahoo.com

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
U love the album version of ebw. The problem with the live performance is its bono teying to be adele rather than bono singing with u2. I dont mind it, but the album version is fantastic.

I agree with earlier comments that magnificent,  fez and minent are 3 all time grear u2 songs. I quite enjoy breathe as well. The rest of the album is mixed for me.

SOE has numerous highlights. Lights of home (st peters), red flag day, little rhings are all timw greats for me. I might be in the minority but i really enjoy best thing. American soul is my low point. The rest of the album i love.

SOI low points for me are this is where you can reach me now. Sleep light a baby, tho a very well crafted song, makes me want to alit my wrists I wont listen to it again. Troubles, iris, wolves, ebw, cedarwood, invisible, grear songs. I actually like soi more now after hearing soe than I did before. Was not expecting that.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
Songs of Innocence for now, songs of experience must earn its spot with the tour. That being said, I think the album is incredible and I'm sure it will unseat Songs of Innocence after I see a few live shows.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
SOE.

It hits quicker and has fewer low lights and higher highs than SOI. That's not to say that SOI is disposable because it does well with its concept of innocence. The songs feel simple and tender in a positive way as they talk about experiences of their upbringing with various things in life, like music (The Miracle), love (EBW, SFS), loss (Iris), travel (California), war (RBW, TIWYCRMN), their hometown and attitude (Cedarwood Road, Volcano), issues in the church (SLABT), and relationship conflict (The Troubles).

Experience is better because that is where the band is now and that's where their hearts are at, and that's what they wrote from. Therefore, they were able to come across as more genuine with the writing being more solid and the songs grabbing you more reflecting that. The Little Things is up there in the top 5 best post-Pop songs and stands toe-to-toe, for me, with some of those '90s songs as well. Lights of Home, LIAWHLF, Red Flag Day, 13, Summer of Love (with its beautiful string arrangement), and The Showman are all really good songs as well and the only weak track I can find is American Soul but even that is okay since it shakes things up a bit, being a rough and abrasive rock track, before the album dives into the heart of what it's all about.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
<taking notes> Thanks! Will check it out with those in mind, but not right away. Still steeped in SOE.

Fez, I love that one. It's different. It's largely instrumental, which can be hard to do and stay exciting, but it is. It's very evocative. If there is a deeper meaning than just music to drive to, I don't know anything about it (and don't know who/what Fez is).

But the dichotomy of the pacing in the song is awesome. The instruments have a heart pounding feel of speed, not necessarily manic speed but power pushing ahead relentlessly.

The vocals are on a different (but complementary) plane - like half speed.

The effect is like driving down a road, free and unrestrained, no traffic or obstacles - in a trance. You're pushing the limits, the wind in your hair - filmed in slo-mo. You've been up all night and feel unreal, and the sun rises and it all just takes you outside of yourself.

I'm glad to find another Fez lover on here! I agree that it's a good tune. The song evokes a great scenery, with a little bit of the streets of Fez and a little bit of the Moroccan auto routes, and it makes you feel like you're there. This song feels like the heart of NLOTH was going to be about before the project shifted from Fez.

Online laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
Ah, so Fez is a PLACE? And Morocco, makes sense. <clicks into place>

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »
1. The album version of EBW is soooo much better and more thought out than the live version.

2. I enjoy SOE much more than SOI, but SOI and SOE are both made richer by having each other to play off of. I don't know if I'd enjoy SOE as much if I didn't have SOI as a sibling album to work from.

3. Fez/Being Born is one of the best tracks on a noble yet hobbled album.

4. Iris, Every Breaking Wave, California, and The Troubles are still some of the best work U2 have ever done. All this talking has me wanting to listen to that album again right now.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 06:53:24 AM »
Yup, Iris is amazing. I would love to get a good quality audio copy of the live version.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »

Yes, SOI and SOE don't suffer from the 3 songs of death that we got on NLOTH (still say that Crazy isn't that bad, but none of those 3 should be on that album). But SOI doesn't have 3 songs that are epic and soaring, wheras NLOTH did. SOE, IMO, does have those 3 songs, though not as epic as NLOTH. So what I'm saying is... NLOTH > SOE > SOI

I would agree to some extent. NLOTH is hurt by the fact that they spent too long working on it. Had they worked on the album like they did TUF and Zooropa, they would've had something that would've been a good experiment for the band, especially if Soon and Winter would've made it on the album over Stand Up Comedy and I'll Go Crazy. There are some very quality songs and some soaring highs on that album, like people on here have mentioned, with few mediocre songs once you take out the three in the middle.